• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
43 43

6,172 posts in this topic

Seems to me that for you guys who say you are "holding back submissions" due to QC, that's like never stepping outside your house because a bird may poop on your head. There are problems and issues, but your odds are pretty, pretty good your book will come back just fine.  and don't need to wear a hat to go outside!

On 5/26/2022 at 11:41 PM, Aman619 said:

Seems to me that for you guys who say you are "holding back submissions" due to QC, that's like never stepping outside your house because a bird may poop on your head. There are problems and issues, but your odds are pretty, pretty good your book will come back just fine.  and don't need to wear a hat to go outside!

I don't think the odds are as good as you think they are. (shrug)

On 5/13/2022 at 11:52 PM, Robert_L said:

Here is a box I received recently. There was no cardboard protecting two of the ends of the box. So the books there were completely mangled. Fortunately, they were not bent, just destroyed cases.

Also, I too have been getting about 30%-95% of the books received with scratches, scuffs, Newton rings, debris, etc. Even when I get this boxes back it has been about 50% of the same problem. This has all picked up in the last year. Frustrating when I am trying to sell the books. Having to wait 6-8 months for the books, which are now no longer 'hot', and then another 1-2 months to send them back in due to errors, and then again because of same or differing errors.

Lastly, I was also told by one of the CSRs that there is only a two week grace period for a person to contact CGC to get them reholdered for scratches, debris, etc. Has anybody else heard that? Some errors I don't recognize the first time around until I am scanning the books. I shouldn't have to inspect each book with a magnifying glass, and I didn't have to do that just a year ago. Back then any flaws I came across were minor and/or somewhat rare.

IMG_8833.jpeg

IMG_8834.jpeg

On 5/12/2022 at 6:39 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Ok. So I  originally sent 4 books to the Terry Austin signing of those 3 had to make a return trip.  I just got those back today. You can see the full story here.

I have 2 problems with these that just returned.  First the reason all 3 have to go back.  Puddling. 20220512_182454.thumb.jpg.646d6f8da15296bd014a3e10b574dd19.jpg20220512_182426.thumb.jpg.6eb7b9119e3e3cc6f327a1e2b676cd6e.jpg

On 5/27/2022 at 12:54 AM, Domo Arigato said:

I don't think the odds are as good as you think they are. (shrug)

The two that went back for their second trip moved to GEI and I received an email today to send the 3rd back. Hopefully none will have to make another trip, but considering what all has happened so far , I am not holding my breath. 

Edited by onlyweaknesskryptonite

On 5/27/2022 at 12:41 AM, Aman619 said:

"pretty good" is very subjective. What is acceptable to you, may not be even close to acceptable to someone else.

Eh?  "your odds are pretty, pretty good you won't have to send back a problem slab, or receive a misgraded book" is not enough.

If there is an option to statistically avoid those QC problems...somewhere else... why not? 

I didn't "hold back" submissions... I redirected them. 

I no longer have problem slabs from CGC.  

Edited by Sigur Ros

Let us know how your next submission goes (thumbsu

I slabbed around 1000 books in the last year… admittedly I don’t have the same zero tolerance for tiny defects many of you do, but not one had any issues that were cause for complaint back to CGC. I’m not saying IT doesn’t happen, I see the evidence here, just that the odds are good.  And saying pretty pretty good was a Curb Your Enthusiasm phrase, not a quantitative one. Lol. 

On 5/27/2022 at 10:46 AM, Aman619 said:

I slabbed around 1000 books in the last year… admittedly I don’t have the same zero tolerance for tiny defects many of you do, but not one had any issues that were cause for complaint back to CGC. I’m not saying IT doesn’t happen, I see the evidence here, just that the odds are good.  And saying pretty pretty good was a Curb Your Enthusiasm phrase, not a quantitative one. Lol. 

I have had four major QC issues in the past 3 years, but in the greater context of the amount of books I sub, that number isn’t bad.

One of them just happened to be on a $20k book 🥺

On 5/27/2022 at 8:12 AM, Sigur Ros said:

Eh?  "your odds are pretty, pretty good you won't have to send back a problem slab, or receive a misgraded book" is not enough.

If there is an option to statistically avoid those QC problems...somewhere else... why not? 

I didn't "hold back" submissions... I redirected them. 

I no longer have problem slabs from CGC.  

So are you here to help point out CGC's flaws in an effort to get them to recognize and improve them, or do you have zero intention of ever using CGC again and decided to just hang around here for giggles?

• Administrator

So, I had a really nice meeting with the new quality control manager today.  I started grabbing examples from this thread the first part of December,  (I went back to around July of 2021)  and grabbed more 2 other times from then to the present date.  These were all sent to the new manager, and we discussed them today, along with ways to improve QC in a big way.  I walked away from the conversation with a real good feeling.  We will be keeping in touch with each other to fine tune protocols.  Many changes are already underway, and I expect to see major improvements regarding this soon.  

On 5/25/2022 at 9:06 PM, Galen130 said:

If QC problems were significantly reduced, say in the next two years, I have about 10 slabs I will resubmit for pressing and reholder.  CGC needs to press comics they screwed up...no questions asked. :pullhair:

um yes... I just received two books that were sitting outside the the plastic sleeve they were placed in before being encapsulated. They are already on their way back to be 'fixed'.

IMG_9008.jpeg

IMG_8995.jpeg

On 5/27/2022 at 8:24 PM, CGC Mike said:

So, I had a really nice meeting with the new quality control manager today.  I started grabbing examples from this thread the first part of December,  (I went back to around July of 2021)  and grabbed more 2 other times from then to the present date.  These were all sent to the new manager, and we discussed them today, along with ways to improve QC in a big way.  I walked away from the conversation with a real good feeling.  We will be keeping in touch with each other to fine tune protocols.  Many changes are already underway, and I expect to see major improvements regarding this soon.  

Hopeful

On 5/27/2022 at 6:24 PM, CGC Mike said:

So, I had a really nice meeting

with the new quality control manager today.  I started grabbing examples from this thread the first part of December,  (I went back to around July of 2021)  and grabbed more 2 other times from then to the present date.  These were all sent to the new manager, and we discussed them today, along with ways to improve QC in a big way.  I walked away from the conversation with a real good feeling.  We will be keeping in touch with each other to fine tune protocols.  Many changes are already underway, and I expect to see major improvements regarding this soon.  

So excellent to hear that! (thumbsu

On 5/27/2022 at 10:46 AM, Aman619 said:

I understand if you are grading them to keep for your own stash, but I do quite a bit of resale and customers will point out any minor flaw that ruins the 'crystal clear' appearance of the case. Practically any tiny flaw does not seem to escape the eye of a customer. I have already had several books returned to me due to minor flaws that I thought were insignificant, but the customer thought otherwise. So, I have to look at the books/cases in the eye of how my customer would see it. Which is how CGC should look at the situation too, as I am one of their customers.

I will say, the CGC customer service has picked up and pretty much accepted most anything I have requested to have re-cased. And from there, still about 10% need to be redone. That is still down from the 90%+ return rate on some of my boxes.