• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
44 44

6,141 posts in this topic

On 8/6/2022 at 11:43 PM, toro said:

Picked up my freshly signed Eastman TNMT books today at Walgreens where Fedex dropped them off.

This is how the package arrived.  One side open, the thin cardboard box buckled on one side, overly stuffed with bubble wrap that the fragile tape couldn't hold.  Nice job CGC. 

How did you get the package dropped off at Walgreens? Did you have to call CGC?

On 8/7/2022 at 2:27 AM, Gaard said:

How did you get the package dropped off at Walgreens? Did you have to call CGC?

When I fill out the form I enter it in there.  For those I had not done already I called and had them change it.  If it has already shipped it can't be changed.

On 8/7/2022 at 2:30 AM, toro said:

When I fill out the form I enter it in there.  For those I had not done already I called and had them change it.  If it has already shipped it can't be changed.

When I have a package from Clink (or anyone other than CGC, really) held at Walgreens, I always get an email stating "Your package is ready to be picked up" when they get it. Is that the same when you give Walgreens address on the CGC form?

On 8/7/2022 at 2:37 AM, Gaard said:

When I have a package from Clink (or anyone other than CGC, really) held at Walgreens, I always get an email stating "Your package is ready to be picked up" when they get it. Is that the same when you give Walgreens address on the CGC form?

Sometimes I get emails, but not all of the time.  I just check after I see that it has shipped and see if it has been delivered.  I could go into Fedex.com and have them give me updates.

On 8/7/2022 at 2:42 AM, toro said:

Sometimes I get emails, but not all of the time.  I just check after I see that it has shipped and see if it has been delivered.  I could go into Fedex.com and have them give me updates.

Hmmm, sounds like a solution to that rule that CGC has about no changes made after the fact. Of course I don't feel the rule should've been enacted in the first place, but this sounds like a good workaround ... if I still submitted.

On 8/7/2022 at 2:50 AM, Gaard said:

Hmmm, sounds like a solution to that rule that CGC has about no changes made after the fact. Of course I don't feel the rule should've been enacted in the first place, but this sounds like a good workaround ... if I still submitted.

Since we have no idea what month books will be returned, you have to plan your vacations around comics. A friend told me to mark everything hold for pick up, then give them the address once the books have been graded.

If you have to wait months anyway, a few more days don't seem like such a big deal. I'm not sure I'd want Walgreens holding my books for 2-3 weeks...or whatever time I might be away.

Of course if you had a PASSWORD and could UPDATE your address yourself, it might be easier instead of having to call and write when you give them the "address". 

Companies like Amazon do that...perhaps CGC will update to that method one day.

On 8/7/2022 at 10:52 AM, skypinkblu said:

Since we have no idea what month books will be returned, you have to plan your vacations around comics. A friend told me to mark everything hold for pick up, then give them the address once the books have been graded.

If you have to wait months anyway, a few more days don't seem like such a big deal. I'm not sure I'd want Walgreens holding my books for 2-3 weeks...or whatever time I might be away.

Of course if you had a PASSWORD and could UPDATE your address yourself, it might be easier instead of having to call and write when you give them the "address". 

Companies like Amazon do that...perhaps CGC will update to that method one day.

If the FedEx building was still only a short drive away I would have it held there.  But they moved and the next facility is over 60 miles away round trip.  My other options were a hair dresser and a convenience store in one of the worst parts of my town.  Walgreens is like Ft. Knox for me.  lol 

My conundrum is that I live by myself. Combine that with the fact that I work during the day, and we have a problem receiving packages that require a signature. In the past, I always used Registered Mail ... mainly for insurance reasons, but it also was convenient that the PO was right near my house. Now, however, with FedEx being the only choice, a problem has arisen. The FedEx hub is about 20 miles away.

Yet another great decision from our favorite comic grading company.  (thumbsu

On 8/7/2022 at 3:22 PM, Gaard said:

My conundrum is that I live by myself. Combine that with the fact that I work during the day, and we have a problem receiving packages that require a signature. In the past, I always used Registered Mail ... mainly for insurance reasons, but it also was convenient that the PO was right near my house. Now, however, with FedEx being the only choice, a problem has arisen. The FedEx hub is about 20 miles away.

Yet another great decision from our favorite comic grading company.  (thumbsu

You can look for other FedEx hold locations in your area.  Walgreens just works best for me.

My last 25 item box looked pretty good. The Newton Rings were minimal, YEA!! But now there is an abundance of debris. Nothing big, dust etc. It's just they are quite noticeable when seen against a white or black cover.

I know I shouldn't be too concerned, 'it's not harming the book', 'it's barely noticeable' and so forth. But as a customer when looking at the book, if I see it on the cover, it's gonna be the first thing I see every time thereafter.

Honest question, how much is too much to let go?

IMG_9831.jpeg

IMG_9853.jpeg

IMG_9858.jpeg

IMG_9937.jpeg

IMG_9848.jpeg

On 8/9/2022 at 5:47 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Switched labels.

FB_IMG_1660081576141.jpg.c7b514e5521a139899ed5702b4944fcf.jpgFB_IMG_1660081569786.jpg.e794856700fc20be07cbf73255c79f5e.jpg

Grade Date 07/26/2022  

"CCG is currently putting into place several new processes focused on improving quality control, including the implementation of more stringent procedures, increasing inspection checkpoints within the certification process and expanding its quality control training programs."

Edited by Gaard

On 8/9/2022 at 4:59 PM, Domo Arigato said:

I once made a joke in here about CGC doing something I thought was so far beyond stupid.....that they would never actually do it.

It was about people taking those "Master of the Universe" and "New Teen Titans" inserts out of the middle of comic books (like DC Presents #26)......and sending just the insert to CGC to be graded.  It was just a sarcastic joke on my part.  But as someone pointed out to me soon afterwards.....I wasn't being funny.....I was just being wrong.

It was at that point I realized CGC doesn't care about this hobby.....or the integrity of the job they're doing.  I believe they once did years ago, and I used to defend them vigorously.  

Now, you can literally yank part of the inner guts out of a comic book.....send it in with no cover on it.....and get a high grade, blue label CGC slab returned to you.  So, nothing they do surprises me any more. :boo:

MOU.thumb.jpg.4ada80ca7e6b048a37f8b362b02abbb6.jpg

On 8/9/2022 at 5:05 PM, deadleg said:

Wait so they grade that, but this gets a NG? 

0902221300011.jpg

@CGC Mike

Screenshot_20220809-171754.png

On 8/10/2022 at 12:09 PM, BlowUpTheMoon said:

Wrong issue number.

FB_IMG_1660147677270.thumb.jpg.f1a40146e188a6eae580d499ef34c9e5.jpg

Grade Date: 7/25/22  (in the Census as #316)

"CCG is currently putting into place several new processes focused on improving quality control, including the implementation of more stringent procedures, increasing inspection checkpoints within the certification process and expanding its quality control training programs."