• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where in the world was the Quality Control at CGC???
43 43

6,172 posts in this topic

On 6/10/2024 at 8:00 AM, Poka said:

In pretty much every second vintage submission there is a ME label issue - so frustrating

CGC-failsagain.jpg

I wonder if the Brittle pq capped the grade?
It is strange that they graded the "covers" as they did and then assigned the 3.0 technical grade

*edit...my point is, why note the grade of the wraps when the brittle pq caps this book at 3.0/3.5?

Edited by Funnybooks

On 6/10/2024 at 9:13 AM, Funnybooks said:

I wonder if the Brittle pq capped the grade?
It is strange that they graded the "covers" as they did and then assigned the 3.0 technical grade

I purchased a GA double cover book, I'm blanking on the title, about 15 plus years ago, also with brittle pages, but it was given the grade, 7.0, of the interior cover. Granted, since it was relatively long ago CGC may have changed standards-or my book is an encapsulation error. I have not kept up with brittle pages; that sounds strange; so I don't know if a lower grade was or is standard for such pages. If I can find the book in my boxes, I'll scan it.

On 6/10/2024 at 9:03 PM, CGC Mike said:

Hi

Let me check into this before you send it back.

Thanks

will leave CGC today so have not yet received it 

In pretty much every second vintage submission there is a ME label issue - so frustrating

CGC-failsagain.jpg

The grader notes are available for anyone to look at:

Grader Notes
detached centerfold
double cover 1st cover 5.5, interior cover 6.0
all wraps, moderate brittleness splitting
light spine stress lines to cover
moderate creasing to cover

With a detached centerfold and splitting on all wraps, a 3.0 doesn't seem outlandish.  More than just the cover is considered in the grade.

On 6/10/2024 at 10:11 PM, wardevil0 said:

The grader notes are available for anyone to look at:

Grader Notes
detached centerfold
double cover 1st cover 5.5, interior cover 6.0
all wraps, moderate brittleness splitting
light spine stress lines to cover
moderate creasing to cover

With a detached centerfold and splitting on all wraps, a 3.0 doesn't seem outlandish.  More than just the cover is considered in the grade.

IMG_4403.jpeg

IMG_4404.jpeg

IMG_4405.jpeg

IMG_4406.jpeg

On 6/10/2024 at 10:11 AM, wardevil0 said:

^^

On 6/10/2024 at 10:31 AM, Poka said:

IMG_4403.jpeg

IMG_4404.jpeg

IMG_4405.jpeg

IMG_4406.jpeg

Based on your photos, the pages do not look brittle but I see browning. I have a few GA raw books with brittle pages that will never see the light of CGC grading. Are the pages brittle?

The centerfold looks detached at the bottom staple.

Since I cannot tell from the photos regarding the other CGC grading notes, I will not comment.

• Administrator
On 6/10/2024 at 9:03 AM, CGC Mike said:

The interior wraps are moderately split. This is one of those rare cases when an interior defect drops the overall grade lower than either cover.  So, the 3.0 grade is correct.

On 6/10/2024 at 11:04 PM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

Based on your photos, the pages do not look brittle but I see browning. I have a few GA raw books with brittle pages that will never see the light of CGC grading. Are the pages brittle?

The centerfold looks detached at the bottom staple.

Since I cannot tell from the photos regarding the other CGC grading notes, I will not comment.

neither did i think they were brittle and yes the centerfold was not fully detached. guess it most be brittle to have centerfold come off and book moderately split after i shipped it. 

Edited by Poka

On 6/11/2024 at 12:04 AM, CGC Mike said:

The interior wraps are moderately split. This is one of those rare cases when an interior defect drops the overall grade lower than either cover.  So, the 3.0 grade is correct.

not sure where the interior wraps are moderately split but thanks following up and apologies calling it an error

Edited by Poka

On 5/21/2024 at 3:09 PM, Yorick said:

I think it's better this way.  If your intention is to sell, it would probably do better also.

Ta-da! Blue label has been updated to the correct yellow label.

CGC4421444-001_OBV.jpg

CGC4421444-001_REV.jpg

Edited by MultiSig Mike

On 6/13/2024 at 8:57 AM, MultiSig Mike said:

Ta-da!

CGC4421444-001_OBV.jpg

CGC4421444-001_REV.jpg

Tbh after time away? 😜 If you hadn't told me which is the "back cover" I probably wouldn't have even noticed lol nothing accentuates a title banner or and etc. to really have qualms about it!

Glad you got it sorted the way you liked.