• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

STAR WARS : The Force Awakens Dec, 18, 2015

1,516 posts in this topic

crosses $900MM domestic on Friday and $2BB WW on Sat or Sun - the final huge milestones it will hit.

if they re-release TFA, it will probably hit 1B domestically. it's at 902 million now, and should at least hit 920-930 before it's out of theaters.

crosses $900MM domestic on Friday and $2BB WW on Sat or Sun - the final huge milestones it will hit.

if they re-release TFA, it will probably hit 1B domestically. it's at 902 million now, and should at least hit 920-930 before it's out of theaters.

Titanic is still well over $250 million more than TFA adjusted. Now that movie had legs! Looking at the daily box office take comparison with TFA and it is unbelievable how much Titanic kept making months after it was released. I was hoping TFA would at least break into the top 10 movies of all time adjusted. Now it is looking unlikely until the eventual re-release.

Still not a bad run. They should get James Cameron to direct a Star Wars movie.

Titanic is still well over $250 million more than TFA adjusted. Now that movie had legs! Looking at the daily box office take comparison with TFA and it is unbelievable how much Titanic kept making months after it was released. I was hoping TFA would at least break into the top 10 movies of all time adjusted. Now it is looking unlikely until the eventual re-release.

That would be crazy on his part. He is working on Avatar sequels. I don't think he would want to compete against his own films.

That would be crazy on his part. He is working on Avatar sequels. I don't think he would want to compete against his own films.

Cameron pushed the release date of Avatar 2 from December 2017 to early 2018, apparently not avoid competing with Star Wars 8 when it was moved to a December release.

same could be said of Avatar which was released on the exact same day (different year obviously) as TFA so the day to day comparison is quite interesting

With all the streaming/DVD/BluRay stuff now, do the movies they re-release have the power to gross $70-90 million like they did back in The Exorcist/Close Encounters/Raiders era (when that stuff was less available)?

I mean, I get the Star Wars: Special Editions with the anniversary and "goodies" added, but what can a movie like this pull in, in about 20 years? $10-15 million?

Hate to be a downer, but it did make a ton of money already. (shrug)

the question is how much longer the movie is going to stay in thearters. both Titanic and Avatar when they were release they could have stayed in thearters for months until the summer block buster would start coming out.

I was looking at the numbers last night

TFA is in week 8 of releases, and will end it at #4 for the week. It was only #1 in the theaters for the first three weeks (but oh what those weeks were!). In week 7 it was on 2500 screens (by comparison Avatar and Titanic were still on 3k screens) , but this weekend is the first big "block buster" competition for screens with Deadpool, Zoolander and HTBS all getting 3k+ screens. So that will likely drop, and it will lose a good number of it's IMAX screens to Dpool, which is an even bigger hit to revenue.

by comparison Avatar was still #1 in the theaters up until this point. (week 8 was the first time it went to #2). It was still on over 1k screens thru week 14 in mid-March.

by even further comparison Titanic was #1 for 15 straight weeks. It stayed on around 3k screens all the way to week 19, and It stayed over the 1k screens mark until the summer (Jun 11)

Point being, even though all three movies are considered of the "modern" era I think they show the shifting nature of viewership and attention. People seem to move on to the "next thing" quicker, and theaters are recognizing that and not keeping movies on screens for a long time. I think part of that is thanks to pirating and the general availability that the internet provides, I think part is the known short lead for DVDs and the growth in the "home theater" market.

Yeah -- no way does Episode 7 catch Avatar or Titanic (inflation-adjusted).

Folks forget that most movies are only released for six weeks total these days. What Titanic did was amazing for 1997; what Avatar did was downright ridiculous.

This medium fragmentation is exactly why Beverly Hills Cop will never be surpassed as the # 1 R-rated film of all time*.

It had 14 # 1 weekends at the box office (13 consecutive) and was in the Top 10 for 28 (!) weeks (i.e., more than 6 months).

Edit: Just saw that both The Exorcist & The Godfather have surpassed Beverly Hills Cop for the # 1 R-Rated movie title, but that's simply because each has been re-released to theaters in recent years.

Beverly Hills Cop still holds the record for a single-release R film, at ~$584 million domestic.

With all the streaming/DVD/BluRay stuff now, do the movies they re-release have the power to gross $70-90 million like they did back in The Exorcist/Close Encounters/Raiders era (when that stuff was less available)?

I mean, I get the Star Wars: Special Editions with the anniversary and "goodies" added, but what can a movie like this pull in, in about 20 years? $10-15 million?

No, I didn't mean re-release it in 10 or 20 years. Re-release it when part 8 comes out. Lots of theaters could have one screen, or more, at night showing both films back to back. If the next part pulls $150-$200 million, the re-release of part 7 will pull in millions, if not 10-20 million.

No, I didn't mean re-release it in 10 or 20 years. Re-release it when part 8 comes out. Lots of theaters could have one screen, or more, at night showing both films back to back. If the next part pulls $150-$200 million, the re-release of part 7 will pull in millions, if not 10-20 million.

I thought of the same strategy last night... they did it with Star Wars (Re released it when Empire came out), why not TFA? Especially with the IMAX-3D options (which you cant do at home really yet)

Sooooo...finally saw the Force Awakens. I didn't see it sooner because of reasons I won't go into (ex-gf, promises, etc., :blahblah:). The point is that I finally saw it.

Let's be clear, I am a Star Wars fan. A bigger fan than the average individual. I have my own FX lightsaber dang it!

My impression...disappointed.

- It was campy/cheesy

- Another "deathstar" run (hope that's not a spoiler for anybody)

- The fight scenes were "eh"

- The sequence of scenes (Rey, Finn, Millenium Falcon, Han Solo, Luke's lightsaber) was so ridiculously unbelievable

- I can't look at Princess L the same way...ew

- The climatic ending had so much potential but it fell flat (I honestly didn't feel like I was in a galaxy far far away)

I would put episode I, II, III, and VI ahead of it. I guess I bought into the hype more than I should of. Might have been a different opinion if I saw it in the first week of release.

***One good thing. Kylo Ren. I did like his character.

Sooooo...finally saw the Force Awakens. I didn't see it sooner because of reasons I won't go into (ex-gf, promises, etc., :blahblah:). The point is that I finally saw it.

Let's be clear, I am a Star Wars fan. A bigger fan than the average individual. I have my own FX lightsaber dang it!

- It was campy/cheesy

- The sequence of scenes (Rey, Finn, Millenium Falcon, Han Solo, Luke's lightsaber) was so ridiculously unbelievable

- The climatic ending had so much potential but it fell flat (I honestly didn't feel like I was in a galaxy far far away)

I would put episode I, II, III, and VI ahead of it. I guess I bought into the hype more than I should of. Might have been a different opinion if I saw it in the first week of release.

Just to be clear - you would put the Phantom Menace ahead of it?

- It was campy/cheesy

Just to be clear - you would put the Phantom Menace ahead of it?

:popcorn: I'll grab you a fan.