• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,103 posts in this topic

On 12/27/2021 at 7:31 PM, MGsimba77 said:

Same here but just Intuitively. I wouldn't be surprised if 51 passed it at least in higher grades depending on how this MCU appearance is carried out. Assuming it even does? On the other side it wouldn't be far fetched to believe Galactus has an appearance of his own at some point. If I had to choose one of those long term its 49 but not by much. 

I haven't heard much on this Kingpin rumor. Any word on who the actor could be? Is it the actor from the Netflix series?

Edit: just checked FF49 in highest grades and yeah....I think it's more safe than I estimated lol! I still think 51 could outpace for a while but not surpass. 

Spoiler Alert:

Spoiler

Vincent D'onofrio appears as "Kingpin" in the "Hawkeye" series currently on Disney+.  I would guess he - along with Charlie Cox/Daredevil - will be in upcoming Marvel projects.

On 12/27/2021 at 4:58 PM, Obrie2tm said:

TEC 359 CBCS 7.5 just pulled 4k with Buyers Premium at last week's HA. Seems to be climbing readily and probably got a boost front the news of Brendan Frasier as Firefly.

Brendan Fraser and boost in the same sentence just seems wrong to me. lol 

That being said, it was indeed a nice price for the copy. The Batman SA and BA keys have quietly done very well the past year. (thumbsu

Edited by kimik

On 12/28/2021 at 3:18 AM, kimik said:

That being said, it was indeed a nice price for the copy. The Batman SA and BA keys have quietly done very well the past year. (thumbsu

Just checked out my low-grade copy of Detective 359...not upset at all with what its value has done recently.

On 11/1/2021 at 12:29 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I was shocked by some of the hammer prices in tonight's Heritage auction.  I was only watching a handful, and I usually bid aggressively on the books I'm targeting, but couldn't justify trying to keep up with these:

• Avengers #93 CGC 9.6 WP -- $5,040
  • Avengers #94 CGC 9.6 WP -- $3,360
  • Captain America #111 CGC 9.6 WP -- $1,920

Those are all WAAAY above any sale I'm aware of for these books.  Has to be some kind of anomaly?

What happened to the earlier Captain America Comics (TOS).  Did the price go up?  

I like the Kirby covers.

51783293233_bfbd682ec9_h.jpg

On 12/27/2021 at 6:58 PM, Obrie2tm said:

TEC 359 CBCS 7.5 just pulled 4k with Buyers Premium at last week's HA. Seems to be climbing readily and probably got a boost front the news of Brendan Frasier as Firefly.

Wow.  Seems crazy when a cgc 7.0 sold for 2100 a few weeks before... Did the news just happen?

Edited by Wolverinex

Tonights Heritage - ALL HG Thors went through the roof - not just 134 as Littledoom has noted.

Double GPA high for some.

Complete bidding frenzy.

A TTA #35 slipped through dirt cheap - I should have grabbed it. Only low grade but a steal.

On 1/3/2022 at 11:18 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I wasn't involved at all but I do think Thor is an undervalued run.  Seems people are looking for places to put their money and inevitably their attention turns to any title that's remained (relatively) affordable.

Daredevil is another under valued run 

On 1/3/2022 at 11:18 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I wasn't involved at all but I do think Thor is an undervalued run.  Seems people are looking for places to put their money and inevitably their attention turns to any title that's remained (relatively) affordable.

If this is the case, do you think it's possible we start to see prices shoot up in runs like Iron Man, Silver Surfer, Subby, Doctor Strange, and Captain America even though they don't really have as much as Thor in terms of big keys?

On 1/3/2022 at 11:26 PM, Kevin76 said:

Daredevil is another under valued run 

I agree, but (and this is my bias showing but I don't think I'm wrong) Thor contains some of Kirby's most amazing work and DD does not.  So for me at least, Thor is much more undervalued if that makes sense.

On 1/4/2022 at 2:24 PM, Austin_t_a said:

If this is the case, do you think it's possible we start to see prices shoot up in runs like Iron Man, Silver Surfer, Subby, Doctor Strange, and Captain America even though they don't really have as much as Thor in terms of big keys?

I would go further and say that all of the titles you've mentioned above HAVE already shot up quite a bit.  I collect every one of those books and they have all risen without exception.  Movie hype and speculation has been every bit as much of a factor on these titles ... Thor has #165 (Warlock) for example, but Cap has #117 (Falcon) and speculation around Silver Surfer and Subby is through the roof.  I think there has also been a sudden spike in appreciation of the Frank Brunner Dr. Strange covers in the early issues of his 1974 reboot title.

I would say watch out for issues that the hype guys are trying to make a big deal out of, but aren't worth the exorbitant asking prices -- I'm thinking Subby #5 (Tiger Shark) and Captain America #180 (Nomad) as two examples off the top of my head.

On 1/4/2022 at 4:40 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I agree, but (and this is my bias showing but I don't think I'm wrong) Thor contains some of Kirby's most amazing work and DD does not.  So for me at least, Thor is much more undervalued if that makes sense.

They changed titles from JIM to Thor in issue 126 right? Did Kirby do Thor the rest of the way till he left for DC the first time?

On 1/4/2022 at 5:52 PM, MGsimba77 said:

They changed titles from JIM to Thor in issue 126 right? Did Kirby do Thor the rest of the way till he left for DC the first time?

I believe Kirby did up to issue 179. He came back to do some work later on, but his classic run on Thor ends there.

JIM/Thor is my second favorite Marvel title behind Fantastic Four. As Crimebuster pointed out, Kirby let loose and the Marvel Universe got a lot bigger. It baffles me that a few thees and thous were enough to keep collectors away from enjoying this excellent run. Now, of course, the frenzy is on.

On 1/4/2022 at 4:49 PM, KirbyJack said:

JIM/Thor is my second favorite Marvel title behind Fantastic Four. As Crimebuster pointed out, Kirby let loose and the Marvel Universe got a lot bigger. It baffles me that a few thees and thous were enough to keep collectors away from enjoying this excellent run. Now, of course, the frenzy is on.

I love this book.  It's the only main Marvel title I had a full run of ("Thor" only - through #255) when I started collecting.  Also had JIM #112-125 and a couple earlier ones.  Still have all these, of course :headbang:.  Loved the cross-over with the Greek Gods and battle in the Underworld.  Had an LTE published in #238 (can't remember if I sent it to Thor or some other book - the letter wasn't specific to the title).  Read the karp out of all those books in the 70s.