• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,101 posts in this topic

On 8/16/2022 at 11:46 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I watched that in real time and snapped up the one on ComicLink before the bidding was even closed.  $875 for mine, still an overpay IMHO!  :banana:

image.thumb.jpeg.2aa1b78abe530f9090f3fa489b3fd301.jpeg

And yes, I waited until I had the book in hand (just arrived) before saying anything.  lol

Perhaps a slight overpay, but what a beautiful copy.  :cloud9:

On 9/17/2022 at 8:24 AM, Zonker said:

I wish.

The Deadman series was a true harbinger of what we later thought of as the Bronze Age at DC.  Despite its supernatural trappings, the heart of it was down-to-earth human-interest stories.  Co-creator Arnold Drake was one of the few banging the drums at DC that Marvel was about to eat their lunch (going all the way back to his creation of the Doom Patrol as a Marvel-like entry from DC in the earlier 1960s).  And as you mention, Neal Adams' work on this series really put him (both the character and the artist!) on the map. His work on Deadman led to Adams' run on Brave & Bold, and ultimately to all of his 1970s Batman work.

But I'm having a hard time imagining what would heat the character up in today's market.  The combination of super-heroics, supernatural and human interest storytelling has been done multiple times over by Vertigo and its successors, so I don't think a comics revival would work.  And I'm not sure the super-heroic trappings (i.e. the circus costume) would translate well into TV or film.  And if we're left with simply a disembodied spirit running around inhabiting other bodies, well, that's also been done by the Patrick Swayze / Demi Moore movie Ghost.

Maybe there is hope for the character as part of an ensemble, such as the long-discussed Justice League Dark project.  Or maybe if they succeed in producing a ton of successful Batman movies, they eventually will get around to a supernatural take, looking towards the Deadman/Batman team-ups from Brave & Bold for inspiration.  :wishluck:

Yeah great points! I guess we’ll see what the future holds.

On 11/6/2022 at 11:40 AM, Sauce Dog said:

Even though nobody in their right mind should believe the offer, apparently the owner of the internet famous ASM #14 that was defaced by an angry girlfriend (CBCS 1.8) was offered 100k for it at a con recently and turned it down.

If you do believe such 'credible offers' that are only substantiated by a random witness posting it around (who knows the owner) and no actual names given for the buyer then I would like you to know I have an ASM #2 CGC 1.0 that Sylvia Plath was reading on her death bed in 1963 fresh off the rack. It's true and I was just offered 300k for it by a very legit buyer, but I refused...but I am happy to make my fellow board members a deal and sell it to you for 100k. 

If it smells of oven gas, I'll make a credible offer :whatev: