• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,101 posts in this topic

On 5/11/2022 at 6:44 PM, Dark Knight said:
On 5/10/2022 at 10:46 PM, rabidwolf said:

Strange Tales 110??

heritage sold a 4.5 for $7200 yesterday. or this a one-off move hype.

One off movie hype.  Likely won't be repeated, just my guess of course.

There are many variables here .... was it white pages ? was it a very fresh copy that was o/w higher grade ? perfect centering ? If the answer to all those is "no", then it likely is hype related. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 5/12/2022 at 4:18 AM, jimjum12 said:

There are many variables here .... was it white pages ? was it a very fresh copy that was o/w higher grade ? perfect centering ? If the answer to all those is "no", then it likely is hype related. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

Nope, not white pages AND it has marvel chipping. It's funny because a white pager copy sold just a week or two ago also onHA for $5,760 😆

That 4.5 was nowhere near the nicest 4.5 I've seen, but I have my doubts about attributing the hammer price to movie hype. I cringe using the term, but Strange Tales #110 has been undervalued for a very long time. Prices have been rising steadily upward for the last year and a half. Last December, a 4.0 sold $6600, so even though $7200 for a 4.5 might look odd compared to current 5.0 - 6.0 prices, I don't think it's too crazy a price looking at the big picture. And if there's one thing the last year has shown, there's plenty of folks with money to throw around without concern for what a lot of long-term collectors would consider FMV.

In my opinion, the best SA Marvel runs are as follows;

1. Fantastic Four 

2. JIM/Thor

3. Amazing Spider-Man 

4. Ditko Dr. Strange 

5. Kirby Capt. America

From that admittedly very specific POV, that makes Strange Tales 110 a major book! Not surprised to see it surge.

Edited by KirbyJack

Am I missing something here? An AC 252 3.0 on HA currently at over 5,000 with 13 days left ? . E bay is filled with higher grade copies for less, 3.0's for half the price. All 3.0's I've seen this year have sold for under 2,000. This one is up to 5,000. Was it owned by Stan Lee's personal hairdresser or something?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/action-comics-252-dc-1959-cgc-gd-vg-30-off-white-pages/a/40194-82004.s?ic2 

Opera Snapshot_2022-06-24_172230_comics.ha.com.png

Edited by Professor K

On 5/12/2022 at 8:21 PM, Roger66 said:

I call these sales car-crashes :deadhorse:.  Someone shockingly overpays for some varied reasons a) they don't like eBay where you could have easily purchased a much nicer looking 4.5 copy cheaper at that time and still can b) they are flush with bitcoin money and just like spending it uninformed and wildly c) a bit of a & b plus the winner is naïve. or maybe d) shill bidders working in conjunction if not conspiracy.  To quote these very odd sales as anything other than anomalies and to infer or think they are the trend or a precedent of things to come is IMO a disservice to the community, very wrong and just a total misperception of the comic key marketplace. Solid intuition is the partial key to success in this hobby along with a realistic historical sense that if you buy something hot based upon a freak sale(s) - you better be prepared for it to go cold down the road. My 2 cents. 2c  :preach:

yup ....put in time and  get educated , then  it's tough to either pay too much if buying or accept too little if selling

On 6/24/2022 at 3:22 AM, Professor K said:

Am I missing something here? An AC 252 3.0 on HA currently at over 5,000 with 13 days left ? . E bay is filled with higher grade copies for less, 3.0's for half the price. All 3.0's I've seen this year have sold for under 2,000. This one is up to 5,000. Was it owned by Stan Lee's personal hairdresser or something?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/action-comics-252-dc-1959-cgc-gd-vg-30-off-white-pages/a/40194-82004.s?ic2 

Agreed. That is fishy AF.  Plenty of copies on eBay for less.  Probably Heritage up to it’s usual shenanigans.  

On 6/26/2022 at 1:24 AM, Bluemedgroup said:

Agreed. That is fishy AF.  Plenty of copies on eBay for less.  Probably Heritage up to it’s usual shenanigans.  

I would like to think Heritage wouldn't be so obvious about it!  Maybe I'm wrong lol. But there is really no reasonable explanation for that price on a book that's readily available in higher grade for far less. 

On 6/24/2022 at 4:22 AM, Professor K said:

My 4.5 is a big fan of this

On 6/26/2022 at 8:26 AM, KCOComics said:

I would like to think Heritage wouldn't be so obvious about it!  Maybe I'm wrong lol. But there is really no reasonable explanation for that price on a book that's readily available in higher grade for far less. 

True, if there were shenanigans this would be too obvious. And if so why do it with this book? Anyone know if it's possible for 1 person with one account to bid a book up on Heritage? I don't think so but of course I never tried. If not than I'm calling conspiracy on this, from whom I have no idea. . No way two people would be this "uneducated" to bid it up so much.

Edited by Professor K
changed stupid to uneducated as not to insult stupid people.

On 6/26/2022 at 3:51 PM, Professor K said:

True, if there were shenanigans this would be too obvious. And if so why do it with this book? Anyone know if it's possible for 1 person with one account to bid a book up on Heritage? I don't think so but of course I never tried. If not than I'm calling conspiracy on this, from whom I have no idea. . No way two people would be this stupid to bid it up so much.

They both gotta have it, have money, and do not "buy" comics. This investment opportunity seems too good to miss...

Heritage routinely outsells others for no good reason, so there's widespread shilling or uneducated buyers or a combination of both. Mostly likely, its the combo as their shill-rep has been tarnished for some time. NP Gresham, anyone?