• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,101 posts in this topic

On 4/29/2022 at 4:13 PM, trmoore54 said:

Was a huge fan of Kirby/Colletta Thor issues/artwork and I know for some reason there were those who didn't care for his inking/line work.  And I always liked this cover/issue for several reasons but the pose or dance that Thor and Hercules are doing I always found somewhat puzzling...did they miss? (: Is it like some type of face-off in hockey like "we'll start here and then when we hear the buzzer we can start beating the out of each other..."  And the all-white background adds to the static nature even though presumably they are supposed to be engaged in battle. 2c

True, now that you mention it the poses do look odd.  Nothing can beat the cover of Thor #126.

I always chuckle when I see the little gimmick where Thor tucks Mjolnir into his belt.  Glad they didn't try that in the movies, it would never work.  lol

On 4/29/2022 at 1:46 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

True, now that you mention it the poses do look odd.  Nothing can beat the cover of Thor #126.

I always chuckle when I see the little gimmick where Thor tucks Mjolnir into his belt.  Glad they didn't try that in the movies, it would never work.  lol

Also not a big fan of the (H) on Hercules belt...doesn't make a lot of sense and kind of a nod that our readers are too dumb to know this is Hercules so we better put an H on his belt.  (Which goes perhaps without saying not a big fan of any LETTER on any super-hero or villain's costume (S as in Superman)...just always seemed stupid to me).  But hey they're funny books. lol Hope all is well Lou.

And you are correct...THOR 126 is an awesome cover and somewhat unique in how it captures the entire cover with the scale of Thor and Hercules.

Edited by trmoore54

On 4/29/2022 at 5:32 PM, Callaway29 said:

Record sales, hype, and first appearances aside...always loved this cover!

it's also a phenomenal story, one of the best early surfer stories, as mephisto tempts norrin radd with the chance to finally be reunited with his love, shalla bal. i read this at a young age as it was reprinted in "Bring on the Bad Guys," the great trade paperback focused on supervillain first appearances and origins.

On 4/29/2022 at 8:01 PM, alexgross.com said:

it's also a phenomenal story, one of the best early surfer stories, as mephisto tempts norrin radd with the chance to finally be reunited with his love, shalla bal. i read this at a young age as it was reprinted in "Bring on the Bad Guys," the great trade paperback focused on supervillain first appearances and origins.

I’m intrigued by villains. They don’t always do bad because they are evil. And the capes are not always “good”.  I’ll have to pick up that book!! Recently listened to “Forging Hephaestus” by Drew Hayes, and it covers this issue in a solid way. Highly recommend it. 

ps: I’m also a silver surfer fan. I’ll need to get my hands on this one!!

On 4/29/2022 at 10:34 PM, GrasshopperFF said:

I’m intrigued by villains. They don’t always do bad because they are evil. And the capes are not always “good”.  I’ll have to pick up that book!! Recently listened to “Forging Hephaestus” by Drew Hayes, and it covers this issue in a solid way. Highly recommend it. 

ps: I’m also a silver surfer fan. I’ll need to get my hands on this one!!

Sure, OK.  But just you remember who wears the cape on that cover.

On 4/29/2022 at 1:13 PM, trmoore54 said:

...And I always liked this cover/issue for several reasons but the pose or dance that Thor and Hercules are doing I always found somewhat puzzling...did they miss? (: Is it like some type of face-off in hockey like "we'll start here and then when we hear the buzzer we can start beating the out of each other..."  And the all-white background adds to the static nature even though presumably they are supposed to be engaged in battle. 2c

giphy.gif

Edited by jcjames

On 4/26/2022 at 5:10 PM, gunsmokin said:

Call me crazy but I think this here “Stranger” is who Bruce Campbell will be playing in DS 2. Not a Stephen Strange variant.

BF97232B-851E-43EF-955A-DD0D79203DF5.jpeg

I don't know, I can't see The Stranger with a boom stick

On 5/1/2022 at 2:17 PM, ninanina said:

Cover Price recorded a sale for a raw Fantastic Four 70 for $11,700.00. Does anyone know why??? I have what could be a 9.8 and I need to know if I'm rich or not. 

Fair to assume it was a typo. A graded 8.5 went for $107 last week. 

On 5/6/2022 at 6:58 AM, Bird said:

Strange Tales 126 has some nice sales yesterday, I expect that to continue this weekend. Getting some heat. I have about 5 and dare I say

Reveal hidden contents

Theron fire!

Picked up three copies early 2020. Value has easily tripled for my 7 - 7.5's   :celebration:

On 5/10/2022 at 7:46 PM, rabidwolf said:

Strange Tales 110??

heritage sold a 4.5 for $7200 yesterday. or this a one-off move hype.

One off movie hype.  Likely won't be repeated, just my guess of course.