• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,101 posts in this topic

On 11/11/2022 at 7:31 AM, FFB said:
On 11/11/2022 at 7:14 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Sounds like a fantastic idea if you want to make the worst Superman movie ever. 

I would agree with you, except that if anyone can pull it off, it's James Gunn. 

It's only the MCU thats developed the knack of falling on their own sword.

On 11/10/2022 at 12:40 PM, pickycollector said:

Rumors of Mr. Mxyzptlk appearing in Man of Steel 2, should be interesting to see if that will move the price up for the issues featuring the character

Mr. Mxyzptlk

from gocollect - yeah uhm, that's a pass.  

Tuck and Co and now trying to hype Mxyzptlk and Granny Goodness. Based on what I see last few months in their postings/blogings is they were only looking good during the bubble because everything was looking good in the bubble. Even during the bubble low rent DC characters went nowhere. Perhaps they'll be hyping bug-eye bandit next week.

BTW if Mxyzptlk is the plan (LMFAO) for the next MOS then Zaslav may just want to cancel the film now.

Edited by MAR1979

On 11/10/2022 at 9:40 AM, pickycollector said:

Rumors of Mr. Mxyzptlk appearing in Man of Steel 2, should be interesting to see if that will move the price up for the issues featuring the character

Mr. Mxyzptlk

He'll be as great as the Ewoks and Jar-Jar combined!  Hey Kids!

On 11/10/2022 at 3:31 PM, FFB said:

I would agree with you, except that if anyone can pull it off, it's James Gunn. 

Seriously DC Comics on Superhero front goes back to 1938 the best they can pull from that rich tapestry is Mxyzptlk? LMAO!

Gunn's tenure will be short if he thinks any portrayal of Mxyzptlk will put them even in the same conversation as Marvel films.  If Gunn is a smart as folks think Mxyzptlk will only be used as miss-direct to keep the real stuff secret for as long as possible from the public. Even then a smarter re-direct would be for a villain who the public might want to see.  Guess we will see.

Edited by MAR1979

On 11/3/2022 at 7:11 PM, ThothAmon said:

Hotter than a pistol. 

1676FF73-868E-46EF-AADA-02396E3389A4.png

Outlier! Makes total sense; hardcore cult following and 9.8 census pop is 1. If there were say 10 of these in 9.8 it woudl be lucky to sniff 1/5 or 1/6 of that hammer price. Pop's in 9.0 and above are so tiny their simply won't be enough volume of sales for this book to actually be hot but as long as they stay that low when they do come up for sale they will do well.  Book is pretty much definition of an outlier.

Books CGC Label CGC Total Avg. Grade 10 9.9 9.8 9.6 9.4 9.2 9.0 8.5 8.0 7.5 7.0 6.5 6.0 5.5 5.0 4.5 4.0 3.5 3.0 2.5 2.0 1.8 1.5 1.0 0.5
 1. Astro Boy 1 (8/65, Gold Key)
            1st appearance of Astro Boy. Only issue. Back cover pin-up.
Universal 94 6.96     1 5 9 6 9 8 6 7 2 4 4 7 7 5 7 4 1   1       1
Edited by MAR1979

On 11/11/2022 at 9:10 AM, MAR1979 said:

Seriously DC Comics on Superhero front goes back to 1938 the best they can pull from that rich tapestry is Mxyzptlk? LMAO!

Gunn's tenure will be short if he thinks any portrayal of Mxyzptlk will put them even in the same conversation as Marvel films.  If Gunn is a smart as folks think Mxyzptlk will only be used as miss-direct to keep the real stuff secret for as long as possible from the public. Even then a smarter re-direct would be for a villain who the public might want to see.  Guess we will see.

Mr. M doesn't have to be the main driver of the film.  He could be a supporting character who is included for comic relief.  All I'm saying is that I haven't seen a superhero movie or show yet from James Gunn that wasn't great, Marvel or DC.  I would be reluctant to insist that I know better than he does what can be a successful character in a film.  Until he screws one up, I'm not going out on a limb to proclaim that they should just shut the whole thing down because Mr. M is in it. 

On 11/10/2022 at 12:14 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:
On 11/10/2022 at 9:40 AM, pickycollector said:

Mr. Mxyzptlk

Sounds like a fantastic idea if you want to make the worst Superman movie ever

What would be even worse is if someone were to make a movie with Rocket Raccoon.

On 11/10/2022 at 12:40 PM, pickycollector said:

Mr. Mxyzptlk

Ain't happening, there will be no MOS2.

To the 5 or 6 Mxyzptlk fans, Gunn ain't a comin' to yer rescue.  

In a few years there will be "Young Superman" film as per Herr Gunn.  Probably with a "Young Luther" as villain.   Not a fan of the DC movies myself but for a very brief moment I did look forward to a Superman vs Black Adam. It could have been epic.

Edited by MAR1979

Mxyzptlk lets them do basically anything from a storytelling standpoint without having to explain it in "realistic" terms. He's a walking Deus Ex Machina in a pink bowler hat

On 12/22/2022 at 12:10 PM, Sal said:

Mxyzptlk lets them do basically anything from a storytelling standpoint without having to explain it in "realistic" terms. He's a walking Deus Ex Machina in a pink bowler hat

Can't tell if you think that's a good thing or not!

My feeling is that it's a very, very bad thing.  Fine for a single "off-beat adventure" issue of a comic book, disastrous for a film franchise that is desperate to appeal to a broad audience that doesn't want its intelligence insulted.

On 12/24/2022 at 9:51 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Can't tell if you think that's a good thing or not!

My feeling is that it's a very, very bad thing.  Fine for a single "off-beat adventure" issue of a comic book, disastrous for a film franchise that is desperate to appeal to a broad audience that doesn't want its intelligence insulted.

wasn't really making a judgment one way or the other, so i applaud your reading comprehension skills...must be all those comics you've been reading, as i know it's not my ability to convey meaning or anything resembling same.

i think the whole concept of superhero movies is at the core rather 'silly,' so it really remains to be seen what direction the writer and director go with here. the Rocket Raccoon example brought earlier is probably a good basis to go off of absent any other clues or etc

On 2/14/2023 at 3:48 AM, WolverineX said:

Despite the troubles of the lead actor, the upcoming flash trailer looks pretty promising.  Wonder if Flash 123 will see heat as the 1st multiverse as well as two Flashes.  It's always been an awesome cover.

That looks freaking awesome!!!!

MC-who??

They went balls deep on this one, I'm putting all my bets down that this is a comic movie we've been waiting for.

WITH an ad for comics books!! 

Edited by Microchip

On 2/13/2023 at 11:13 PM, Microchip said:

That looks freaking awesome!!!!

MC-who??

They went balls deep on this one, I'm putting all my bets down that this is a comic movie we've been waiting for.

WITH an ad for comics books!! 

Just watched and totally agree! Man, I took a serious run at a higher grade Flash 123 a few months ago. It went pretty high. Wish I bought that now!