• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Silver age comics that are heating up
26 26

4,101 posts in this topic

On 7/22/2022 at 2:01 AM, southern cross said:

Love old labels, if you ever get a chance at a convention and see a silver age 9.6 in a old label ask to take a look at it.

They are beautiful 👍

Yep, and very high odds not pressed when dealing with the early cert numbers.   Not to mention nary a Newton Ring to be found.  

Once caveat; if not buying in person make sure to inquire if top of the slab label is intact!

Edited by MAR1979

On 7/23/2022 at 11:19 PM, MAR1979 said:

Yep, and very high odds not pressed when dealing with the early cert numbers.   Not to mention nary a Newton Ring to be found.  

Once caveat; if not buying in person make sure to inquire if top of the slab label is intact!

Why?  Do people swap books out?

On 7/23/2022 at 11:19 PM, MAR1979 said:

On 7/24/2022 at 9:50 AM, WolverineX said:

Why?  Do people swap books out?

Over time the thin layer of adhesive under the thin/narrow top label dries out and the strip curls up then falls off.  It's easy enough to re-adhere using Best-Test Acid Free Natural Rubber Latex Paper Cement but only if you still have the label :)

Probably the single greatest innovation of the "new" CGC slabs is that the top label strip is now sealed in the case.

I always keep a metal can around of Best-Test for Original Comic Art stats that fall off as well as for the older slab CGC top label strips. 

Best-Test Premium Paper Cement 8OZ Can (139)

Edited by MAR1979

On 7/24/2022 at 10:53 AM, MAR1979 said:

I always keep a metal can around of Best-Test for Original Comic Art stats that fall off as well as for the older slab CGC top label strips. 

But that would become a restored (top) label.  :baiting:  You might want to use wheat paste. :)  Seriously though, definitenly worth securing that top label sooner rather than later, before you lose it.  That almost happened to one of my slabs.  

Edited by Pantodude

On 7/25/2022 at 2:18 AM, frozentundraguy said:

I have noticed that Tales to Astonish #20 has warmed up recently. After spending most of 2021 valued at around $250 (for a CGC 6.0),  Go Collect now pegs it's value at $325.

Any idea what it's on the rise?

As to why it's on the rise. I would surmise these pre-hero issues of Tales to Astonish just might be undervalued compared to the issues after #27. Personally I like the artwork of the pre-hero issues better than the later issues, though I'm pretty sure that's a minority viewpoint.

On 7/25/2022 at 12:56 PM, frozentundraguy said:

As to why it's on the rise. I would surmise these pre-hero issues of Tales to Astonish just might be undervalued compared to the issues after #27. Personally I like the artwork of the pre-hero issues better than the later issues, though I'm pretty sure that's a minority viewpoint.

True, true and true, but the volume of these books circulating is minuscule, there's not enough of them to go around.   It's hard for a collector in this area to get momentum going.

On 7/26/2022 at 1:55 AM, Callaway29 said:

I'm curious how these SDCC reveals will impact prices for some of these books, considering the state of the overall market (FF4 comes to mind).

Anyone doing reports from SDC. these days?

On 8/8/2022 at 7:23 PM, mr_highgrade said:

Anything Silver heating up? (shrug)

this one sold last week for an all time high price of $2,520 and it even has a crack in the case, though heritage says it is being re-holdered. previous high this year was $1,850. i know white pages adds value but still, that was a strong result. of course, this also depends on whether you trust heritage results as being real. 

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/superhero/the-amazing-spider-man-41-marvel-1966-cgc-vf-80-white-pages/a/40202-82013.s?ic2=mytracked-lotspage-lotlinks-12202013&tab=MyTrackedLots-101116