• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spider-Man Fan To Auction Off Complete Collection To Buy Comic Shop

39 posts in this topic

I wonder why he didn`t just want to have an internet shop, instead of an LCS?

This tells me that LCS are making a lot more money then they let on...

That is one possible conclusion to be drawn from this, although I can't say I share your optimism. Something else it could tell you is that the guy just likes comic shop culture and wants to buy in at the owners' level.

How many moons are there on your planet?

You don`t think LCS are profitable?

I say the vast majority of the remaining 1500 LCS that are still around are making good cash. Their profits might not all come from comics, but if you add Magic The Gathering cards, action figures, video games, graphic novels and other super hero merchandise there is money to be had.

This especially goes for established LCS that have been in the business 20 plus years. 2c

How many moons are there on your planet?

You don`t think LCS are profitable?

I say the vast majority of the remaining 1500 LCS that are still around are making good cash. Their profits might not all come from comics, but if you add Magic The Gathering cards, action figures, video games, graphic novels and other super hero merchandise there is money to be had.

This especially goes for established LCS that have been in the business 20 plus years. 2c

I don't think it is a stretch to say that ANY business that has been operating for 20+ years is successful. Sure there are exceptions.

Hid-De-Ho was the place to go in Los Angeles for decades if you wanted more than just mainstream publications. They had a massive inventory of underground and off beat comics and trades as well as practically every newspaper strip compilation you could think of, and numerous pop culture art books. They also had a sizable back issue inventory, and it was rare that I didn't walk out with something from it. Eventually though, a number of other comic shops, starting with Meltdown in Hollywood and now in every hipster neighborhood in the city ( and some less so) began catering to a clientele interested in small press, underground, oddball, foreign and other otherwise non "mainstream" comics, and once Hi-De-Ho moved to a new location a decade or so ago, I've only been once. And from what I've heard they never really got the new store organized.

I do remember the owners trying to sell out completely for a couple hundred grand a few years ago, not sure what became of that. I was never quite sure who exactly was an owner and who was a long time employee, but I'm guessing the original owners were hitting retirement age and tired of running a concern that provided a relatively modest income.

Didn't Kevin Smith sell his comic book collection to finance the making of Clerks?
technically. he sold his comic collection to go to film school, dropped out and used his refunded tuition to finance Clerks.

Hid-De-Ho was the place to go in Los Angeles for decades if you wanted more than just mainstream publications. They had a massive inventory of underground and off beat comics and trades as well as practically every newspaper strip compilation you could think of, and numerous pop culture art books. They also had a sizable back issue inventory, and it was rare that I didn't walk out with something from it. Eventually though, a number of other comic shops, starting with Meltdown in Hollywood and now in every hipster neighborhood in the city ( and some less so) began catering to a clientele interested in small press, underground, oddball, foreign and other otherwise non "mainstream" comics, and once Hi-De-Ho moved to a new location a decade or so ago, I've only been once. And from what I've heard they never really got the new store organized.

I do remember the owners trying to sell out completely for a couple hundred grand a few years ago, not sure what became of that. I was never quite sure who exactly was an owner and who was a long time employee, but I'm guessing the original owners were hitting retirement age and tired of running a concern that provided a relatively modest income.

The original owner was a great guy. I met him at a few trade shows.Mike Smith, or something like that. He teamed up with Mel Thompson to do consulting for comic shops in the late 1980s. On their website it appears that Geoffrey's Comics just bought the business.

Not to go off topic but K Smith must save a ton on clothes. Every time I see him he wears the exact same thing. That hockey Jersey. Wonder what's the story with that.

Fat people wear clothes like Hockey jerseys.

I am confused. Didn't Geoffrey die recently? I knew the owners of Hi De hos were trying to sell for a few years. My friend was thinking of buying it, but decided not to when they were forced to move from their long time location

When my old LCS closed down the owner said it was doing good at $10k a year. I don't know if that was in addition to her wage or not. It was a hobby to them and she brought her baby to work and watched TV. Better than doing it at home on the couch, but not enough to pay the bills.

The new LCS owner is also some kind of HR executive and semi retired and bought the comic shop because he thought it would be fun. If his doors close I doubt it will be due to bankruptcy since I don't think he needs the money and doubt there will ever be a time he doesn't at least break even.

This is an incredibly small area by the way, with very few comic collectors. I'd imagine Santa Monica being a much better spot. Just looking at their graphic novel section in their library, I never want to leave.

Eddie is a local artist, self published short comic panels http://collectorscomic.com . He's been working at/with Geoffrey's comic for a long time. I believe the story is legit, try to raise funds to be a partnership. As for a location of the new store, it is on a busy/expensive area, badly run inside, not organized at all. They do have a huge space but the parking will be a pain in the butt, very limited parking or you have to pay to park. Hope Eddie is able to raise some funds for his dream.

Is the 1.0 AF 15 for sale restored? How can he make enough money to buy a Comic Book Store. Didn't look like there was " equal partner $" there if Im looking at the correct auction

that was just one book from the collection that he was selling-- they mentioned numerous other early ASM books. Also the buy in was not as much as you might think so perhaps it is a limited partnership of some sort with options toward more control as time goes on.

Pretty risky even if you know the business based on what several people have said here and in blogs etc. I wish them well in the pursuit though.