• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

The El Cortez days of the San Diego con were particularly memorable. At any given evening Kirby and Eisner would sit by the pool smoking cigars and entertain us fanboys with stories of the old days. If you wanted an autograph or even a nice sketch all you had to do was ask. I got lots of autographs during those days.

A funny story about the Con at the old convention center. One year myself, and a couple of guys (including a well known dealer at the time who I won't mention), decided we were going to go out near the bushes by the street for a little "herbal refreshment". A couple of puffs later, 3 or 4 police cars came flying up with lights flashing on the street in front of us. We all thought this was it until we noticed they were not even looking at us. There was a bank next to the convention center and two men came running out with bags of money. The cops quickly grabbed them and we quickly made it back to the con quite shaken. Buzz kill to say the least!

Any other "old man" rants are welcome here!

lol

Did the robbers have black and white horizontally striped shirts? Did they wear domino masks? Did the "bags of money" have "Dollar signs" on them?

Speaking of thefts, didn't a substantial amount of SDCC takings "go missing" one year?

Were they wearing Beagle Boys' shirts with a number on the front?

sg3.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

The best one of all in my opinion is More Fun #65. I used to have a nice copy but it went a few years ago to pay part of my daughter's college education. A noble and very worthy cause but I still miss it.

I believe Richard or maybe Bill have the Church copy. Feel free to post it and make me look like a piker. Or, if any body has any others, I'd love to see 'em.

A very small but cool "subset" today. The "superhero in the mirror" set. I've only got a few but I'm sure there are more I don't know about. The looks on the criminal's faces are always great!

comallamerican42_zps4fdfygca.jpg

Nice, never noticed this one before. There's also a cool 'Green Hornet' cover by S&K from Harvey.

The best one of all in my opinion is More Fun #65. I used to have a nice copy but it went a few years ago to pay part of my daughter's college education. A noble and very worthy cause but I still miss it.

I believe Richard or maybe Bill have the Church copy. Feel free to post it and make me look like a piker. Or, if any body has any others, I'd love to see 'em.

Here ya go RM. I love it too,and think it's the best mirror cover as well.

morefun65_zpshpnkoe7q.jpg