• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

I thought so too first time I saw it.

I paid a VERY aggressive price for this from someone who beat me out of a 9.2 Crowley in a HA auction. I really couldn't see why he paid so much for a .2 upgrade when I really couldn't see the difference. Seduced by the " number" I guess. Buy the book not the number.

I still find it kind of amusing that you guys get so crazy about a plastic case with a big number. There are lots of very cool books out there that I am happy to find in ANY condition. I have a few other copies in vg shape that I have as readers but this is one I wanted in high grade.

By the way, anybody got any more books like this for this subset? I know there gotta be more.

The Voodoo Eye Pendant. One of my favorite premiums. The was offered in the 1930's by Wheato-Oats Cereal. For a box top and a stamp you could wait many agonizing weeks for this to come to your mailbox. This premium was a "look around" device popular later with Orphan Annie, Tom Mix and the Lone ranger. You look through the bottom and a mirror inside allowed you to see to the right. Just turning your head would work better if you didn't have this cool device.

And cool it is! The large Skull and snakes with the "Voodoo Eye" in the center is the ultimate in cool factor. What kid would not want one?

It is unmarked as most "secret" premiums usually were. It is exceedingly rare due to the fact that Wheato-Oats was probably a regional brand and there was no huge radio or newspaper tie in to a character. The couple I've seen in the wild were unknown to the owners. But those in the know...

phantomvoodoopendant_zps70b749f8.jpg

I like the Voodoo eye. I usually don't recognize the collectible pens and rings when I see them.

However, I did get a complete copy of this Captain Marvel puzzle recently.

24231909900_5c57a71e26_b.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

Nice puzzle BB! Great image. I believe it's from a very early Whiz cover. #15? I'm sure some one here can post the Mile High copy for us.

I've had a few of those over the years but always missing a piece or two. Finally got a complete one in the box. The box ain't much to look at but nice to have it all.

Nice puzzle BB! Great image. I believe it's from a very early Whiz cover. #15? I'm sure some one here can post the Mile High copy for us.

I've had a few of those over the years but always missing a piece or two. Finally got a complete one in the box. The box ain't much to look at but nice to have it all.

I have two boxes. This is one of them.

6653244763_09e3954056.jpg

I like the little puzzles too and Disney produced puzzles of its old cartoons.

14840350953_e2369290a7_b.jpg

4399399949_d039d6e275_z.jpg

OK, If we are doing puzzles now, here is king of the comic character puzzles!

supermanpuzzle_zps77558a5c.jpg

Cool puzzle, I didn't notice the signatures. It helps a lot to have a copy of the Action one cover signed by Jerry and Joe.

Great item, RM.

Did you get the sigs or were they already in situ?

I got them myself. I schlepped this down to the San Diego con many years ago. Had to do it twice to get them both but it was worth it . Back in the day when you could just walk up to a major creator and get an autograph and not have to pay for it or wait in a long line. They were both pretty blown away to see it.

Great item, RM.

I got them myself. I schlepped this down to the San Diego con many years ago. Had to do it twice to get them both but it was worth it . Back in the day when you could just walk up to a major creator and get an autograph and not have to pay for it or wait in a long line. They were both pretty blown away to see it.

That is awesome! Up until the early 2000's you could go to San Diego and have a casual chat with Will Eisner on the floor. Most folks didn't seem to know who he was. A total gentlemen and a giant of the field yet totally down to earth and accessible. I had him sign my Warren Spirit 1 for my twins whom he met.

Back in the seventies I met his partner Jerry Iger at an early New York show. Theses shows had about 200-300 people attending so you could meet anyone in attendance with ease. Ha might devoured Sterankos History of the Comics I was probably one of the few kids who knew who he was and of his role in the early days of the business.

Edited by 40YrsCollctngCmcs

Great item, RM.

That is awesome! Up until the early 2000's you could go to San Diego and have a casual chat with Will Eisner on the floor. Most folks didn't seem to know who he was. A total gentlemen and a giant of the field yet totally down to earth and accessible. I had him sign my Warren Spirit 1 for my twins whom he met.

Back in the seventies I met his partner Jerry Iger at an early New York show. Theses shows had about 200-300 people attending so you could meet anyone in attendance with ease. Ha might devoured Sterankos History of the Comics I was probably one of the few kids who knew who he was and of his role in the early days of the business.

A) Another lovely backstory RM - and your posting it goes some way to establishing its provenance.

B) I'll give a +1 to 40 years on this. I think I've told this story before, but at my first San Diego in 1989 (held at the San Diego Convention and Performing Arts Center/Omni Hotel) at the dealer set-up in the basement area there was the usual milling about and general noise.

Above that noise was the unmistakable sound of Stan Lee. I knew it was him before looking, the cadence was (and is) unique. So who is he chatting with? Julie Schwartz.

Those were the days. No "security" and those attending had a genuine love for the medium.

Not so many cosplayers either.

Sorry, didn't mean to get into an "old man" rant. Carry on. (thumbs u

The El Cortez days of the San Diego con were particularly memorable. At any given evening Kirby and Eisner would sit by the pool smoking cigars and entertain us fanboys with stories of the old days. If you wanted an autograph or even a nice sketch all you had to do was ask. I got lots of autographs during those days.

A funny story about the Con at the old convention center. One year myself, and a couple of guys (including a well known dealer at the time who I won't mention), decided we were going to go out near the bushes by the street for a little "herbal refreshment". A couple of puffs later, 3 or 4 police cars came flying up with lights flashing on the street in front of us. We all thought this was it until we noticed they were not even looking at us. There was a bank next to the convention center and two men came running out with bags of money. The cops quickly grabbed them and we quickly made it back to the con quite shaken. Buzz kill to say the least!

Any other "old man" rants are welcome here!

The El Cortez days of the San Diego con were particularly memorable. At any given evening Kirby and Eisner would sit by the pool smoking cigars and entertain us fanboys with stories of the old days. If you wanted an autograph or even a nice sketch all you had to do was ask. I got lots of autographs during those days.

A funny story about the Con at the old convention center. One year myself, and a couple of guys (including a well known dealer at the time who I won't mention), decided we were going to go out near the bushes by the street for a little "herbal refreshment". A couple of puffs later, 3 or 4 police cars came flying up with lights flashing on the street in front of us. We all thought this was it until we noticed they were not even looking at us. There was a bank next to the convention center and two men came running out with bags of money. The cops quickly grabbed them and we quickly made it back to the con quite shaken. Buzz kill to say the least!

Any other "old man" rants are welcome here!

lol

Did the robbers have black and white horizontally striped shirts? Did they wear domino masks? Did the "bags of money" have "Dollar signs" on them?

Speaking of thefts, didn't a substantial amount of SDCC takings "go missing" one year?