• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

Buys: As I said, I don't officially set up until the doors open and I get there VERY early (I guess the flea market junkie in me). So I set up the rack and arranged the boxes and went shopping! I got a pretty good pile probably as good as I would get at a large show. Here are some notable buys:

On a tip from a boardie whom I don't remember (sorry but thanks) was this book that I had been looking for years for. I rarely buy much from Harley. A real nice guy but a little loose grade wise some times and usually pretty pricey. Both the boardie who told me about it and myself he might have screwed up on this. I was the lucky buyer out of one of his boxes.

comhoneymoonromance_zps2cueovdl.jpg

Had I known you needed it I would have sold it directly to you :cry:

But wait! There's more. This was an unexpected and fun buy. It came from my friend Steve Secentaur Carey. Went went out in the rain and popped his trunk. Inside were two boxes of 1930's cast iron vehicle toys that belonged to his dad as a kid. We were giggling like little kids going through them. One box had 3 layers each seperated by very old yellowed newspaper. He said he hadn't seen them since he was a kid. I believe the newspapers were dated 1964. Being a collector, I couldn't believe he hadn't looked at the other two layers. Would you look through 1/3 of a box of old comics if you found them? We had a blast checking them out. I picked out what I collected and felt I could sell some of to recoup my cost. I then directed him to a friend inside the show who is also a toy collector and dealer who bought the rest. I think we all left being very happy kids. Thanks again Steve this made my day. Man, this stuff is cool!

Here's what I got:

Some Motorcycles:

motorcycletoyscastiron_zpsn3mdnjja.jpg

Some Race Cars:

racecarscastiron_zpsihhwm5oh.jpg

A few buses including one from the 1939 NY Worlds Fair and one from the 1933 Chicago Fair:

bustoyscastiron_zps1ytlnl5r.jpg

And some very cool old trucks and other vehicles:

truckscastiron_zpsqwbhmb8b.jpg

What a great day and only 365 days to the next show...

Robot Man

A pleasure to meet you in person. Also meet TriColorBrian and Sacentaur at your booth.

Thanks for selling me this marvelous book and bringing the Doc Savage pin.

Peter%20Panda%205_zpscwd6l69p.jpg

My pleasure my friend. It was great geeking out with you and taking some your hard earned money! Glad you liked the book.

But wait! There's more. This was an unexpected and fun buy. It came from my friend Steve Secentaur Carey. Went went out in the rain and popped his trunk. Inside were two boxes of 1930's cast iron vehicle toys that belonged to his dad as a kid. We were giggling like little kids going through them. One box had 3 layers each seperated by very old yellowed newspaper. He said he hadn't seen them since he was a kid. I believe the newspapers were dated 1964. Being a collector, I couldn't believe he hadn't looked at the other two layers. Would you look through 1/3 of a box of old comics if you found them? We had a blast checking them out. I picked out what I collected and felt I could sell some of to recoup my cost. I then directed him to a friend inside the show who is also a toy collector and dealer who bought the rest. I think we all left being very happy kids. Thanks again Steve this made my day. Man, this stuff is cool!

Here's what I got:

Some Motorcycles:

motorcycletoyscastiron_zpsn3mdnjja.jpg

Some Race Cars:

racecarscastiron_zpsihhwm5oh.jpg

A few buses including one from the 1939 NY Worlds Fair and one from the 1933 Chicago Fair:

bustoyscastiron_zps1ytlnl5r.jpg

And some very cool old trucks and other vehicles:

truckscastiron_zpsqwbhmb8b.jpg

What a great day and only 365 days to the next show...

You're so passionate about the items, I'm very happy they went to a good home.

What a couple of geeks standing in the rain and gawking at old toys in the trunk - the thrill of discovery, it was fun! :)

Buys: As I said, I don't officially set up until the doors open and I get there VERY early (I guess the flea market junkie in me). So I set up the rack and arranged the boxes and went shopping! I got a pretty good pile probably as good as I would get at a large show. Here are some notable buys:

On a tip from a boardie whom I don't remember (sorry but thanks) was this book that I had been looking for years for. I rarely buy much from Harley. A real nice guy but a little loose grade wise some times and usually pretty pricey. Both the boardie who told me about it and myself he might have screwed up on this. I was the lucky buyer out of one of his boxes.

comhoneymoonromance_zps2cueovdl.jpg

Had I known you needed it I would have sold it directly to you :cry:

Is this your old copy? Did you sell it to Harley? Either way, I'm happy to get it!

Robot Man

A pleasure to meet you in person. Also met TriColorBrian and Sacentaur at your booth.

Thanks for selling me this marvelous book and bringing the Doc Savage pin.

Peter%20Panda%205_zpscwd6l69p.jpg

One of my favorite books!

Someone listed a CGC 8.5 copy on the CLink exchange for $3,000. :o

So I guess that book must be getting some love. :D

Terry O'Neil's 2016 show is in the books... Hey Gang, as promised, here is a report from one of the smaller sellers.

It is a small show but strictly vintage comics. No toys, T-shirts, movie people or cosplayers.

You speak as if that's a good thing. :preach:

Actually, it sounds like my kind of show. Wish I could have been there.

Terry O'Neil's 2016 show is in the books... Hey Gang, as promised, here is a report from one of the smaller sellers.

It is a small show but strictly vintage comics. No toys, T-shirts, movie people or cosplayers.

You speak as if that's a good thing. :preach:

Actually, it sounds like my kind of show. Wish I could have been there.

Tony,

You will enjoy this old school comic books only show.

The hotel rooms are one third the price of the SDCC rooms. My room had a jacuzzi.

I bought more books at this con than all the three cons I attended last year, London Super Comic Con, Wizard Chicago, and New York.

Best of all, I met Robot Man in the flesh.