• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

OK, Sunday flea market report. Went to the local one early this morning. It's probably the biggest and best in So Cal. Getting harder and harder to score good stuff but I did OK. I got one comic... a first printing of Snatch by Crumb for $5.00 and a few other kinda cool things.

But, this was the score of the day. Two BIG boxes of old match book covers from the 1920's-1930's. Nothing as far as I can tell so far past 1939. These were sales man samples originally mounted in a book. They were made without matches or strikers and never folded. These are from business and locations all over the US.

These are a real cool glimpse into the America of the period. Just awsome colors and graphics. Many printed with metalic gold and silver ink. So much great art in such a small space. Advertising's Golden Age. And every subject matter you could imagine. Here are just a few examples I pulled out of random. I'm going to have days of fun going through these!

This is about 10% of the load. Lots of bundles of them.

maatchbookcollection_zpstugguzft.jpg

Edited by Robot Man

I didn't see the results, but if those are the cards that HA valued at $200 each, I am sure it looked like they underperformed as that estimate was ridiculously high. They usually sell for $15-$35 per card.

Final price (with BP) was $251 for 11 cards, or about $23 each. So it sounds like they sold right about at market.

Planes... The one at the bottom from LA has beautiful color and silver ink as does the Texaco in the upper right.

matchbooksplanes_zpsz2sjogtl.jpg

RM, really enjoyed looking at these matchbook covers! What a great find. I especially liked the railroad ones. Thanks for posting them. Btw, I wonder how good Bob's Airmail Service was? :insane:

OK, for us "little people" who don't care about the latest CC or HA auction, don't give a rat's about the "bubble" or could care less about match books, how about another fun subset?

These are always, something I look for, Clock covers! Feel free to post yours.

comflash101_zpsyri3f6lw.jpg