• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

This is only about a third of the "vintage" Tarzan Pinbacks I know of. Not being a Tarzan collector, this is what I have found over the years. The Burnsley Coffee badge is especially rare as is the Lex Barker one which I got in Austrailia. I don't go out of my way for them as they get kind of pricey but grab them when I get the chance. I think I need a little more focus in my collection...

This will prove my lack of focus. This is a photo I took several years ago of one of my character pinback trays. These range in date from the turn of the century to maybe the late 1950's.

I've got more character pins and more of other things like advertising, political, super hero, sports, news paper sets ect. I love them because you can have so many in such a small space. They are colorful, very graphic and have gotton a lot harder to find.

This might hurt your eyes so be forewarned... I should probably break them out into character "subsets" and feature them that way but what the heck.

pinbackscharacters_zpsnkgvkjcf.jpg

I had not seen the 1902 PIC NIC pinback from the Cleveland Press before--it must be very rare from that period. Have you seen others? I love those early newspaper advertising pinbacks.

Only one of those I've seen. It appears to be maybe a Palmer Cox Brownie policeman. It is for a Cleveland Press Newsboy Picnic from 1902 so I'm sure there are very few left out there. Yeah, I like those early newspaper pins. Many were sets which I have many of and many were one shots which I like a lot more. I have seen a lot of them over the years.

This is only about a third of the "vintage" Tarzan Pinbacks I know of. Not being a Tarzan collector, this is what I have found over the years. The Burnsley Coffee badge is especially rare as is the Lex Barker one which I got in Austrailia. I don't go out of my way for them as they get kind of pricey but grab them when I get the chance. I think I need a little more focus in my collection...

Great stuff as usual RM :applause:

hm The Lex Barker pin looks homesick. I think you should send it back.

Thanks indeed, Bob! For not trying (focusing), the Tarzan stuff is a nice accumulation! Glad you had a chance to check out my complete Dell Tarzans! Since they started about 8 years ahead of me (I was born in 1954) I was glad to finally get the #8 that was eluding me! I've got a substantial amount of the Sunday fills, starting with the first one, in 1932. And keep an eye out for that All Story Oct 1914 issue. You, of all people, just might spot one!

The Yellow Kid appeared on two Pioneer Postcards, but only one had art by Outcault. It showed the YK with a trunk and was sent to tobacco shops advertising the use of the YK pinbacks as promotional items. Here is the front of the card.

YK%20die%20cut%20postcard%20E%20H%20Dudley%20and%20Co%20Providence%20obverse.jpg

Here is the back of the postcard with line art of three pinbacks. It makes a great complementary piece to any YK pinback collection but is a beautiful postcard in its own right and is a prized collectible.

Yellow%20Kid%20Pioneer%20Postcard%20with%20pinbacks%20on%20back.jpg.

This will prove my lack of focus. This is a photo I took several years ago of one of my character pinback trays. These range in date from the turn of the century to maybe the late 1950's.

I've got more character pins and more of other things like advertising, political, super hero, sports, news paper sets ect. I love them because you can have so many in such a small space. They are colorful, very graphic and have gotton a lot harder to find.

This might hurt your eyes so be forewarned... I should probably break them out into character "subsets" and feature them that way but what the heck.

What's the story with that Lady Luck pin? That's pretty cool.

I would guess that at the time the die-cut postcard was created, that the YK was supposed to be about 10-15 years old. You have to remember that in 1898 there were very few rules about smoking and you could buy your drugs at the drug store, or in your soda! That's why they called it Coke!

I would guess that at the time the die-cut postcard was created, that the YK was supposed to be about 10-15 years old. You have to remember that in 1898 there were very few rules about smoking and you could buy your drugs at the drug store, or in your soda! That's why they called it Coke!

My grandmother was born in 1898 to an Irish Immigrant family in New York; a contemporary of the Yellow Kid! She really thought nothing of seeing my cousins start smoking as young as 14 and her own kids (except my Dad) all smoked as well as my Granddad. She would always tell them it was a bad habit and bad for their health but clearly she was used to seeing this and had grown up around many smokers.

Adding insult to injury on a doctor's visit in her later years (she lived to be 92) her doctor asked her if she had been a smoker! She replied no but she was the first victim of second hand smoke I heard about and knew!

It would be interesting to know how much a pack of cigarettes cost at the turn of the century in today's dollars. I know I once read that it was the development of machine mass produced cigarettes that precipitated the rise of lung cancer in this country. Prior to that people hand rolled tobacco into cigarettes and as such smoked much less than the convenience of a package afforded.

The Yellow Kid appeared on two Pioneer Postcards, but only one had art by Outcault. It showed the YK with a trunk and was sent to tobacco shops advertising the use of the YK pinbacks as promotional items. Here is the front of the card.

YK%20die%20cut%20postcard%20E%20H%20Dudley%20and%20Co%20Providence%20obverse.jpg

By the way Rich, the preservation on this card is amazing. The fact that it is die-cut with those intricate edges and has survived without a tear is amazing. I'm not sure if I told you but years ago I picked up some Outcault cards at our local flea market because I knew who he was and thought that was cool. I think they have been lost to my numerous moves but I still hope to find them hiding someday in an old pile of my ephemera!

Did the YK playing cards underperform a bit in today's HA auction? The realized price seems low compared with the Hake's price, but I don't really follow sales of YK material too closely.

I didn't see the results, but if those are the cards that HA valued at $200 each, I am sure it looked like they underperformed as that estimate was ridiculously high. They usually sell for $15-$35 per card.

Wow, that's cool Rich! So colorful and probably so rare that it might be the only existing one left...

What's the story with that Lady Luck pin? That's pretty cool.

The Lady Luck pin I've shown before I think. It's from a highschool class in 1946. PA, I believe. Un-authorized and maybe 100 were made. Only one of those I've ever seen.