• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

YK%20pinback%20set.jpg

Here is a picture of the complete set, I know the pins are small and I'm sorry, but you can get an idea of what they look like. Pins #95-100 are not known to exist and I put yellow discs in the set as place holders.

Spectacular accomplishment!

Happy Cinco de Mayo Chicos and Chicas!

I stretched this out 'til Siete de Mayo...

plasticman29cgc.jpg

YK%20pinbacks%20six%20varieties%20reverse.jpg

In the first part of the YK pinback set, the front of the pin has several varieties. The original printing has blue information on the front while all others have red inscriptions. The red ones name one of the three cigarettes, Admiral, High Admiral, or Yellow Kid. Only the High Admiral variety was used on all 94 of the pins. There are six back varieties, and I believe this is the only set of all six #1 pin varieties. The first used a paper back, as did the second. A glossy black back with the High Admiral inscription was used briefly followed by the popular easel backs. The next variety named the paper and the Yellow Kid and is the most common. The last variety is probably just a printing error as the center of the reverse was not printed. The pins are presented from top to bottom starting with the first variety.

Starting with pin #101, the flag series began and advertised either High Admiral or Yellow Kid cigarettes on the front, and used the common back with the Newspaper and the Yellow Kid name on the back.

YK%20pinbacks%20six%20varieties%20reverse.jpg

In the first part of the YK pinback set, the front of the pin has several varieties. The original printing has blue information on the front while all others have red inscriptions. The red ones name one of the three cigarettes, Admiral, High Admiral, or Yellow Kid. Only the High Admiral variety was used on all 94 of the pins. There are six back varieties, and I believe this is the only set of all six #1 pin varieties. The first used a paper back, as did the second. A glossy black back with the High Admiral inscription was used briefly followed by the popular easel backs. The next variety named the paper and the Yellow Kid and is the most common. The last variety is probably just a printing error as the center of the reverse was not printed. The pins are presented from top to bottom starting with the first variety.

Starting with pin #101, the flag series began and advertised either High Admiral or Yellow Kid cigarettes on the front, and used the common back with the Newspaper and the Yellow Kid name on the back.

Thanks for the history lesson on these Rich. I know they came in many varieties. Over the years I've only had a couple of the "easel back" varieties.

My grand Daughter's first Free Comic Book Day

Excited for the event

blakelycomicbookday3_zpsjm2uovnu.jpg

Checking out the Loot. She picked The DC Superhero Girls, Strawberry Shortcake and my favorite, The Bongo Simpsons one which we read together.

blakelycomicbookday1_zpszz5jklqq.jpg

OK, grandpa, I've had enough, nap time.

blakelycomicbookday2_zpsitluvmkv.jpg

See what happens, when you start feeding the bears? What do they call panhandlers in Oklahoma? Seriously? If no one respects petty crooks, why are they called Mr. Meaners? Sorry, I'm easily distracted..... But not to neglect my manners, thanks for finally getting your foot in the door over here! You got to see the 10centers and promos, cgc'd stuff. But you haven't even seen the inside of the other building yet. There be pulps, and paperbacks, and magazines, and over 140 long boxes of '70's up comics. And digests, posters, board games, toys, etc. I've kept the culture vultures from landing to close, so far. But how long do they circle like that? What do you call the extra weight of vulture food? Carrion luggage.

Thanks for the hospitality David. It was a blast looking at your stuff.Always great to see another old school collector's stash. Love the pile of old horror books I got from you. Guess I got some reading to do. Looking forward to checking out the other building. I'll try and get over soon before the other vultures hit you!

YK%20pinback%20set.jpg

Here is a picture of the complete set, I know the pins are small and I'm sorry, but you can get an idea of what they look like. Pins #95-100 are not known to exist and I put yellow discs in the set as place holders.

What a picture! What a set! Thanks so much for sharing that piece of history! (thumbs u

Because I used to be very OCD, my set only has the High Admiral Cigarette variety for the first 94 pins, and only has the Yellow Kid Cigarette variety for the 60 flag pins. I believe it is unique in that respect. For me, the most exciting part of collecting is the thrill of the hunt. I had to buy several major collections that were never completed and lots of individual pins at shows to assemble this set. It was almost sad to complete it.

By the way, I still need an easel back #2 pin to complete my set of easel back pins and would pay or trade generously to get it. I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me find it.