• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

Going through my box of comics I started getting in the new year I found a pile of "Pauls". Still love getting these when I can but the pickings are becomming a little slimmer in the areas I collect. Still some cool ones and they were way under guide on most of them.

comsensation76paul_zps4ltmgfgs.jpg

MATT BAKER!

comnorthwestmounties4paul_zps93a9l4x2.jpg

Capt. Marvel War Bond covercomcaptmarvel37paul_zpstwa1oj2e.jpg

comcaptmarvel51paul_zpsyplmd0f5.jpg

comcaptmarvel45paul_zpsxw2g8hsj.jpg

Another War Bond cover!comnewfunnies89paul_zpslulhnyjj.jpg

I'm not a big Tracy fan like Bill but I couldn't pass these up especially the bondage one...

comdicktracy37paul_zps3omqattg.jpg

comdicktracy25paul_zpsvipj1rp6.jpg

Just a couple more today.

First off is this ceramic robot. I put paper clips in it on my desk. Got it on fleabay from a guy in Sweden. Don't know what "gas base" means and he didn't either. This style robot in the tin toy world is known as a "zoomer". Unusual and only one I've ever seen.

robotceramic_zpsomvxwvax.jpg

Next is "Robot Sam Answer Game". Love the huge friendly robot on the cover of the box. He is featured inside. It is a quiz game. Put a battery in it and his nose lights up when you answer correctly. Great graphics!

robotsamgame_zps8ac4fb5d.jpg

Going through my box of comics I started getting in the new year I found a pile of "Pauls". Still love getting these when I can but the pickings are becomming a little slimmer in the areas I collect. Still some cool ones and they were way under guide on most of them.

comsensation76paul_zps4ltmgfgs.jpg

MATT BAKER!

comnorthwestmounties4paul_zps93a9l4x2.jpg

Capt. Marvel War Bond covercomcaptmarvel37paul_zpstwa1oj2e.jpg

comcaptmarvel51paul_zpsyplmd0f5.jpg

comcaptmarvel45paul_zpsxw2g8hsj.jpg

Another War Bond cover!comnewfunnies89paul_zpslulhnyjj.jpg

I'm not a big Tracy fan like Bill but I couldn't pass these up especially the bondage one...

comdicktracy37paul_zps3omqattg.jpg

comdicktracy25paul_zpsvipj1rp6.jpg

Very nice Paul books :)

Most of the ones I have are DC titles, but I do have one Dell

I've seen a couple of Timelys, but I foolishly didn't buy them when I had the chance

There were very few Timelys that I know of. Ed got about 5 real nice later Cap issues. I don't know who he sold them to. I only know of a few others. He sold a beautiful MM #26 on the bay. I went for the Nedors, MLJ, and all the odd titles like Suspense ect. There were a lot of DC. Must have been Paul's favorite. I mostly snapped up the later more scarce issues of Flash, All Flash, Green Lantern, Star Spangled, Sensation ect. I only got one Batman and a few Detectives that Ed missed. Got a lot of '50's sci-fi, crime, horror and misc good cover books. You're lucky to even have had a chance at the Timelys. I would have snapped them up for sure!

There were very few Timelys that I know of. Ed got about 5 real nice later Cap issues. I don't know who he sold them to. I only know of a few others. He sold a beautiful MM #26 on the bay. I went for the Nedors, MLJ, and all the odd titles like Suspense ect. There were a lot of DC. Must have been Paul's favorite. I mostly snapped up the later more scarce issues of Flash, All Flash, Green Lantern, Star Spangled, Sensation ect. I only got one Batman and a few Detectives that Ed missed. Got a lot of '50's sci-fi, crime, horror and misc good cover books. You're lucky to even have had a chance at the Timelys. I would have snapped them up for sure!

:o

One more scarce Don Winslow item. The rubber stamp set from 1940. Sorry, Griff, that's all folks!

donwinslowstamp_zpsaf4d0538.jpg

Just getting caught up with this wonderful thread.

And I gotta say... that stamp is way cool, and by posting it you inked an answer for me.

Being a Navy man, I was curious about the stamped anchor found on a few Golden Age books. So I kept some images of books I'd admired with it, wondering about the stamp's backstory and how/why they came to be.

As a result of your post, I did a little digging and apparently the anchor stamp with an individual's two initials was a promo offered during the Don Winslow of the Navy radio show. The excerpt below is from an old radio program titled Radio News Tower published by Radio Station WOW, Omaha Nebraska, with a print date of July 1, 1938. It mentions the stamp as a special offer on WOW.

Anyway, hope you don't mind me posting images in your thread. Yours is a good one. And I echo the thanks for sharing your nostalgic time capsule with us. :applause::applause::applause:

don-winslow-stamp-offer.jpg

S-4_don-winslow-stamp_1x1.jpg

S-4_don-winslow-stamp_2x1.jpg

AC-15_don-winslow-stamp_1x1.jpg

AC-15_don-winslow-stamp_2x1.jpg

One more scarce Don Winslow item. The rubber stamp set from 1940. Sorry, Griff, that's all folks!

And I gotta say... that stamp is way cool, and by posting it you inked an answer for me.

Being a Navy man, I was curious about the stamped anchor found on a few Golden Age books. So I kept some images of books I'd admired with it, wondering about the stamp's backstory and how/why they came to be.

As a result of your post, I did a little digging and apparently the anchor stamp with an individual's two initials was a promo offered during the Don Winslow of the Navy radio show. The excerpt below is from an old radio program titled Radio News Tower published by Radio Station WOW, Omaha Nebraska, with a print date of July 1, 1938. It mentions the stamp as a special offer on WOW.

Anyway, hope you don't mind me posting images in your thread. Yours is a good one. And I echo the thanks for sharing your nostalgic time capsule with us. :applause::applause::applause:

Glad you are enjoying the thread. NICE Action #15! If you look back a couple pages in the Fawcett thread some one showed an early Whiz with this stamp on it. I'm sure most people would have no idea what it is. Earlier in my thread I posted some more early Don Winslow premiums.

OK gang here's another cool pinback. The Great Comics Victory Club button featuring the Great Zarro. So what's the big deal you say? Consider that Great Comics only ran 3 issues. Didn't give much time to get this club running. The comic probably didn't sell very well anyway (thus only 3 issues). I used to have #3 but was foolishly seduced by dead presidents (which I no longer have). I have never owned #1 or #2 so I don't know how many issues this club offer appeared in. If any of you have a copy of the book that it was offered in, I'd love to see it posted here. So rare that the only other one I've ever seen was once in a Hakes auction. Even Walter Koenig who is one of the biggest collectors of these comic pins had never seen one. You gotta figure most comics are available if you got a big enough wallet but some stuff like this you just can't buy... (sorry for the crappy photo. This was VERY hard to photo)

greatzarropin_zpsm7ozlrau.jpg

Glad you are enjoying the thread. NICE Action #15! If you look back a couple pages in the Fawcett thread some one showed an early Whiz with this stamp on it. I'm sure most people would have no idea what it is. Earlier in my thread I posted some more early Don Winslow premiums.

I had an All-Star Comics #3 with those anchor stamps on it. Good to know where it came from.

Got a few Okajima Camp Books for you guys today. I hear they are popular here. Was digging through the pedigree boxes today and will show some other ones when I get the time. Steve Ritter told me that the Capt. Marvel Advs #28 was the earliest Okajima he had seen. Might even be in his book if it ever comes out...

comcaptmarvel28okajima_zpsjs8swktk.jpg

comcaptmarvel31okajima_zpssggzr4lp.jpg

comprize42okajima_zpsewojthpt.jpg