• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

That's the one Bob. Seems like the blue is muted a little.... Possibly glare off the bag? It wasn't till I spotted the 'Paul' name written on the cover and a deja vu moment before recalling letting that one go.

Nearly the entire run of Startling Stories has just drop dead gorgeous gga with its SciFi twist, and really underrated in the pulp world (which is already underrated). But the Spicy titles get the love and attention. Bergey really had talent, and must have utilized models? The tone values are so subtle. Maybe it's just the contrast to the constant barrage of colored line drawings that is comics? Less is more? ( I'm a closet Buddist? No. I don't trust minamalists! Their motivation is not 'tangible' or quantifiable.

I'm pretty sure that Enoch Bolles was reincarnated in Richard Corben.... DNA be damned.

Another observation after seeing SNL with Benedict Cumberbatch I'm constantly reminded of Val Mayerik! Val does not have the English accent of course. But the mannerisms and in the eyes! Anyone else see it?

Another is the Christy character with the speech em pediment on Big Bang reminds me of Paul Gulacy (looks only).

Thanks for the prairie update there mark. So in Hoopeston the football and basketball high school team(s) are called... the Cornjerkers! Pretty impressive on a letter jacket (blue and white) on those out of town games. The foundation for a life of humility perhaps? Anyway, haven't heard of Cropsey? Must be a crossroads.. Like Woodworth, just east of Milford. Where my dad's father own farms, on one of which I lived till about age 5. Then off to the big city of Hoopeston. Population 5000. Four drug stores and one five and dime that had comics.

I always saw more Big Little Books than comics, and hardly ever saw pulps... Except in Chicago. But your right about perceptions of space, and throwing things out. Those damp summers and freezing winters are brutal. Staples rust.

I had just met R.C.Harvey, who lived in Champaign, just prior to moving west (in '78). There was one bookstore in Danville, actually more of a smut shop. Half of it for adults only type of place, a few blocks east of the main drag, by the pawn shops that arranged to buy my 'duplicates' through a couple other guys I met. Paying 50 percent of what would have been Overstreet's 3rd or 4th guide, it came to a little more than a grand.

If Sparta hadn't been on the other side of the Land of Lincoln, I would have been all over that as well!

So, I'm still getting acclimated to using paragraphs.... Which means 'false writing'? Salutations for now.

Wasn't Goldwater on the ticket against Kennedy?

In 1960, Goldwater ran in the party primary against Nixon and Rockefeller, but lost. Nixon chose Henry Cabot Lodge Jr. as his VP running mate. In 1964, Goldwater ran against LBJ for president, and lost again. However, he lives on in the form of background portraits in nearly every other scene of the movie "Raising Arizona."

Thanks for the prairie update there mark. So in Hoopeston the football and basketball high school team(s) are called... the Cornjerkers! Pretty impressive on a letter jacket (blue and white) on those out of town games. The foundation for a life of humility perhaps? Anyway, haven't heard of Cropsey? Must be a crossroads.. Like Woodworth, just east of Milford. Where my dad's father own farms, on one of which I lived till about age 5. Then off to the big city of Hoopeston. Population 5000. Four drug stores and one five and dime that had comics.

I always saw more Big Little Books than comics, and hardly ever saw pulps... Except in Chicago. But your right about perceptions of space, and throwing things out. Those damp summers and freezing winters are brutal. Staples rust.

I had just met R.C.Harvey, who lived in Champaign, just prior to moving west (in '78). There was one bookstore in Danville, actually more of a smut shop. Half of it for adults only type of place, a few blocks east of the main drag, by the pawn shops that arranged to buy my 'duplicates' through a couple other guys I met. Paying 50 percent of what would have been Overstreet's 3rd or 4th guide, it came to a little more than a grand.

If Sparta hadn't been on the other side of the Land of Lincoln, I would have been all over that as well!

Oh sure, Cornjerkers. We played them in sports from time to time (not me of course, being a card-carrying trumpet-carrying nerd). But yeah, Cropsey was and is a grain elevator, a spur off the Illinois Central line, and a few houses.

I knew RC fairly well in the 90s, I'd gone to Champaign to attend U of I, worked at a storefront shop for awhile where he was a customer.

Sparta area was picked over by earliest dealers by the late 70s, so say the local fish tales around here -- so too bad you didn't have the chance to take a shot! I did speak to the fellow who was selling the also-nearby Rockford collection a couple of times -- Rockford is near Mt Morris, which was the home of the major midwest-centric distributor of that day, Kable News, and probably accounts for that collection and some others. World Color was in St Louis before Sparta, and a short rail trip to Mt Morris.

We like Enoch Bolles around here too!

film-fun-548-dell-1934_zps59tcckvu.jpg

OK, the mess is now decided and done. No matter what side of the plate you bat from America has spoken. Time to move on with optisim and hope...

Back to funny books. Today's installment is a little sentimental for me. I recently re-discovered this book in the junk pile. It is the last remaining book I have from my childhood collection.

As a kid, my brother and I shared a room with two closets. One had our clothes, and the other contained our toys, sports equipment, baseball cards and of course comics. My parents were pretty much OK with us reading them but I had a lot of friends who's parents wern't so cool about it. So, I had 3 friends who kept their comic boxes in my closets. Always great for me because I got to read them all.

This was the dawn of the Marvel age. I had read mostly DC's for a year or two then Marvel hit the stands and changed my reading habits right away. My first rack bought Marvel book was as near as I can remember Amazing Spiderman #3. Along with Spidey I started buying FF, Hulk, Daredevil and the anthology books. Could take or leave X-Men and didn't really like Thor. I did buy Batman and the DC war titles as well as other stray titles as well.

Needless to say, that closet contained several copies of all the Marvel and many DC keys as well as good runs of these titles. Also, some older books given to us by older relatives and neighbors. We would trade amongst ourselves for books we wanted. I didn't care because I got to read any of them I wanted anytime. I hate to think was was in that closet now...

Speed ahead a few years. Teenage rebellion set in and I moved out of my parents house at 17 leaving most of my stuff. It didn't take long for my mom to rip down my rock posters and pitch any "contraband" she found in my room. This included the closet. I was pretty upset losing my comics, Big Loo robot, Rat Fink models, baseball cards ect. but I had grown up and moved on.

My mom died and my dad soon sold our house a few years later. He also was a "throw away" guy. I did manage to save some stuff including my mom's collection of jazz and blues 78 records. My last day there I climbed up into our backyard treehouse to reflect and discovered a sealed wooden box with all my MAD magazines, Playboys and stuff I wasn't allowed to have. For some reason, this comic was in that box.

It's a beater and ain't worth nothing to any body but me, but something I will never part with.

comjimmyolsen57_zpsmcs8udyz.jpg

Great story...every time I hear this tale of lost possessions I remember how

fortunate I was in having parents who felt that due to having to relocate so

often that I be allowed to maintain my toys and collections while moving.

mm

Great story, and like you these are the books I treasure most! :applause:

Ditto. Thank you for sharing the story. My favorite books are European Uncle Scrooge reprints. I only have few left. I ripped the covers of most when I was a child, then cut out the Scrooge figure and glued them into a notebook :) But I have a couple that escaped that fate and I don't intend parting with them.