• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

A small assortment of tin Halloween noisemakers from the 1920's-1940's

halloweentin_zpsp2eumjaf.jpg

Those are wild! I wonder when noisemakers such as these stopped being sold? Were they not still available into the 1960's?

???

My 2 year old grandaughter's first real Halloween. Was her favorite character Sheriff Cali. She was so excited she wanted to sleep in her costume! I think she gets her love of Halloween from her Pa Pa.

blakely%20halloween_zpskp3ougap.jpg

:applause: That's awesome.

I bet she'll have a blast going through your collection as she gets older (if she hasn't started already).

Oh, she has expressed interest. She has a nice pile of Disneys and Supergirl. It's great to see her read them to death. They are in tatters but every time her mom trys to pitch them she throws a fit. I keep her supplied and read them to her.

Her favorite toy is the Kermit the frog on the floor. Won't go any where with out it even though she has never seen Sessame Street.

Nice Enoch Bolles Breezy cover, for those not knowing jack (o'lantern's artist). You should have reposted the Startling Stories Mar. 1950 witch, on a broom, shooting lightning from her finger tips cover, Bob. That one's worth another gander. Now I better go find the Esquire Petty broom rider as well. That's calorie free candy? (You'd think they would customize those broom handle seats...) (and why are their bosoms so cold?)

Hey markseifert. I was born in Danville, and grew up in Hoopeston, then in Rossville (by the Country Club golf course). I graduated HS in '73, and moved to SoCal in '78. Were you even born yet? Not much 'pickin's' out there in the prairie, in my experience (in collectibles... and delectables).

Bob, are you doing Terry O'Neil's show this year? And did I understand that your not doing the Nov. or Dec. Vet's Stadium shows?

Hey markseifert. I was born in Danville, and grew up in Hoopeston, then in Rossville (by the Country Club golf course). I graduated HS in '73, and moved to SoCal in '78. Were you even born yet? Not much 'pickin's' out there in the prairie, in my experience (in collectibles... and delectables).

I was born by then! Just barely... crawling around the prairie and such. There's one or two other members who read this section from time to time who are from the area. As you lived in Hoopeston, you might remember at least hearing of the tiny little farming community, Cropsey, where I grew up.

It was a little better by the 80s, I think, when the "comics can be valulable!" hype had built to the point that people knew.

There was actually a pretty great little hole-in-the-wall back issue shop in Rantoul in the '80s. I think another great hole-in-the-wall shop in Champaign, the Book Nook, was around in the late 70s when you'd have still been in the area. If you can remember a place that had a FF #1 and a Supes #2 that looked like they'd been on the wall collecting dust since the day they came out, that's the one.

I actually did pretty well in this area finding stuff in the day, in that decade. My mom dragged me to every flea market and garage sale in Central IL. Found decent stuff pretty often, I mean, not Supes 1 decent, but plenty of Silver Age in the countryside. As I say, people had a vague idea that it might be worth cleaning out the attic and tossing a stack on the table for a quarter or a buck each by then.

edit to add -- I would also note that I always thought that being a farm kid gives you a different perspective on finding vintage. Lots of old farmhouses passed down through generations (that's largely over now due to land value, but I caught the end of it)... I grew up in a house built by my great grandfather 125 yrs+ earlier, and read my way through several of my neighbors' attic stashes in the literal sense of that -- they have much more room on the prairie, and throw out less stuff as a result.

Edited by markseifert

Nice Enoch Bolles Breezy cover, for those not knowing jack (o'lantern's artist). You should have reposted the Startling Stories Mar. 1950 witch, on a broom, shooting lightning from her finger tips cover, Bob. That one's worth another gander. Now I better go find the Esquire Petty broom rider as well. That's calorie free candy? (You'd think they would customize those broom handle seats...) (and why are their bosoms so cold?)

Bob, are you doing Terry O'Neil's show this year? And did I understand that your not doing the Nov. or Dec. Vet's Stadium shows?

OK David, since you asked... also is the first one I lead off with that you might not have seen.

Yes, I will be "exhibiting" at Terry's show in Jan. I will also be exhibiting at the Glendale Toy show two weeks earlier. I won't be back at the Long Beach show until Feb.

pulpstartlingmarch_zpstvuvx7jw.jpg

pulprangelandromances_zps3alakw28.jpg