• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

After that... I took a break from books and boobs for a while and made the long trek over to Artist's alley. Why the folks that run these two shows don't just put the comics and comic artists in the same area is a mystery to me. Long trek for a geezer like me.

I wanted to do this one for a while and finally got it done. Sergio is one of a nicest guys in comics and often get a bit overlooked I think. Got a great loose style and has seen MAD magazine in the "golden years"

I decided to have him deface this book for me. Whadda you think?

IMG_0669_zps31spddaa.jpg

IMG_0702_zps8at5w7fo.jpg

Had a quick lunch and made it all the way back to the comic book closet to hit up my buddy Terry. Had an amazing wall as usual. I didn't get much from him since I just hit him hard at his show a couple of months ago. Did get a couple more "teenage" books and a few others. He apparantly got a few doubles of some of them and some new stuff that he hadn't had at his show. Sorry, Rick, I looked for a better Willie #15 for you but came up dry.

IMG_0680_zpsioilfffp.jpg

IMG_0679_zpszosnrcbb.jpg

IMG_0678_zpsk6rqb619.jpg

While there, I ran into my Pal Ron Murray. He sold me a cool Haunt of Fear #17 with the 3 Ghoulantics on the cover. Tough book. It wasn't the prettiest copy but I needed one. He had it priced at $150. and told me to make an offer. I told him how about $100. and he said he was thinking $80. What a great guy. Thanks Ron, I love it!

Here he is working his magic in Terry's booth...

IMG_0681_zps03htpgz8.jpg

Went by and said hi to my long time friend Jim Maley from Atomic collectibles. A local guy that does all the shows and flea markets. Does, comics, toys, advertising and American pop culture stuff. Always has tons of killer stuff. Half his booth was comics and the other half killer toys. Said the toys were kinda slow so I said "Jim it's a comic show!" He like me, loves the other stuff too. Since they go hand in hand, he tend to mix them together. Not our fault, others don't get it.

Jim was the other major purchaser of the "Paul" collection. He bought most of the DC's, funny books and other stuff I didn't grab first. Here are a few books and he his holding a couple cool "Paul" books I bought from him. One of the "good guys" in the biz and a fellow LA rockabilly music fan!

IMG_0687_zpsdofugxm1.jpg

IMG_0688_zpsopekyf17.jpg

Speaking of "Paul" books... Here's a cool story of one that got away and still made it back to me.

I had a chance to buy this from Joe, the original buyer from "Paul's" family. It was in one of the boxes. But that day, I had blown all my cash on Catman's, Ace books, Speeds and a few Centaurs. It was a cash transaction and I wasn't expecting it that day so I had to pass on it plus a couple nice All Americans and Green Lanterns with the Halequin. I figured, I would get it next time but I guess Jim got them next time he went over.

Anyway, he sold it to the guy who sold Jamie and Terry his amazing DC collection. Not being a DC guy that much, I was casually thumbing the collection at the show and what turned up? This book. I quickly grinded Jamie down a bit and took it home.  Now, it's in the Robot Man collection where it isn't going anywhere. Funny thing is, I got it for about 1/2 the price Joe originally wanted for it!

IMG_0701_zpsvw4amnac.jpg

Went by the High Grade Comics booth and talked to these nice fellas. Since, I'm a low grade GA guy, I didn't get anything from them since they had mostly pre-code horror GA only and I'm pretty complete on. Bob didn't mention a new arrival book that I'm going to take a look at though...

IMG_0682_zpsptfuwsil.jpg

No comic con would be complete without a visit to the hardest working man in comics. Got a few nice books from him including one he totally missed the mark on. (It does happen if you are sharp and on your game). I passed on a few cool Baker books because they just didn't float my boat condition/price wise but luckily annother boardie scooped them up and they went to the right place. Glad you got them Steve!

Harley's wall of goodness:

IMG_0666_zpsjyuuitbx.jpg

IMG_0667_zpsu71goy7k.jpg

Met this beautiful young lady outside. I gave up my seat to her. Other than the obvious, had a nice talk with her about cosplay. She seemed very dedicated and actually loves comic books. She showed me some she bought and I learned a bit about cosplay. I have a new respect for the serious people who do it and why. Hey, it's just part of why going to cons is such a great experience.

IMG_0698_zpskeiyvwaw.jpg

I'll post my haul when I get the chance to go through it all. I did really well and found a ton of great stuff. Got  lot of upgrades and new books I have dupes of. Probably have another sale in a while.

I met a ton of boardies as well as some other friends I hadn't seen in a long time. I'm sure I missed many of you. I wish all you guys could come but know there will be shows in your area soon. Me, I got a long wait now.

The show seemed very busy (sold out Sat and Sun). Dealers seemed happy and money was flowing. This has gotton bigger but not out of hand. I hope the promoters don't screw it up because this is what us collectors in So Cal really need.

Hope you enjoyed this post and feel free to post your scores here and pics. Also, your thoughts on the show.

Robot Man over and out!

Now if you don't mind...

doncomicbookpanel1.jpg

49 minutes ago, Robot Man said:

Went by the High Grade Comics booth and talked to these nice fellas. Since, I'm a low grade GA guy, I didn't get anything from them since they had mostly pre-code horror GA only and I'm pretty complete on. Bob didn't mention a new arrival book that I'm going to take a look at though...

IMG_0682_zpsptfuwsil.jpg

Bob is smiling  :applause: