• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

True, very true but most books are very cover driven. Especially here. There are lot of real cool stories and art buried under those slabbed covers if you look. Sometimes a real boring cover will have a cool surprise. Crime Detector #5 is a good example. Looking at it the cover it apears to be a real run of the mill crime book. The last story is a full on Jay Disbrow horror story with a discusting "splash panel" last page. I'll have to post it as I don't think I've seen it on the boards. Also a pretty boring GA "teenage" comic with a famous comic creator featured through the entire story. Not noted in Overstreet. I am hording this book until I can get a real high grade copy.

Love the Crime Detector!

I was pricing some later Lev Gleason books the other day (notoriously poor sellers) and got hung up reading some of the late Boy Comics issues. The Sniffer stories with Iron Jaw are really great, funny, and have tremendous artwork. And 89 - 92 or so have the return of the Claw. These are super cheap books and cover to cover they are wonderful. So yes, there are still cheap hidden gems out there.

These cool space orientated toys once belonged to Dave Stevens. A close friend of mine was one of Dave's best friends. Before he died he gave my friend boxes and boxes of his stuff. These two toys were in one of those boxes. The futeristic space bus on the right was made by Tootsietoy in the mid thirties. Dave (and myself) like it for it's art deco design. The motorcycle on the left is from the early 1950's. Dave used it as a prop on the cover of one of his comics with two scantily clad gitls riding it with their ray guns. I can't remember which one off hand. I know I have the book but it is buried in a box so I can't locate it. If anyone can post it here, I would appreciate it!

spacetoysdavestevens_zpsldpeftvj.jpg

dave-stevens-planet-comics-1-580x886.jpg

These cool space orientated toys once belonged to Dave Stevens. A close friend of mine was one of Dave's best friends. Before he died he gave my friend boxes and boxes of his stuff. These two toys were in one of those boxes. The futeristic space bus on the right was made by Tootsietoy in the mid thirties. Dave (and myself) like it for it's art deco design. The motorcycle on the left is from the early 1950's. Dave used it as a prop on the cover of one of his comics with two scantily clad gitls riding it with their ray guns. I can't remember which one off hand. I know I have the book but it is buried in a box so I can't locate it. If anyone can post it here, I would appreciate it!

:luhv:

Although in the ball park, that isn't the one I was thinking about. I know that space motorcycle was used exactly as it appears in the photo. I posed this question over in copper in the Dave Stevens thread. I'm sure some one there will recognize it.

Love the Space toys and Pop-Up! More please.

Can't wait to see your comic racks! (hint, hint).

I know you have been on cloud 9 with your grail, but I did post what you are looking for starting on page 89...

Gotta keep looking as you never know what I might put up here.

Crime Detector #5 is a good example. Looking at it the cover it apears to be a real run of the mill crime book. The last story is a full on Jay Disbrow horror story with a discusting "splash panel" last page. I'll have to post it as I don't think I've seen it on the boards.

Check it out. (thumbs u

It is getting harder and harder to discover something new. There really isn't anything obscure any more.

It is getting tougher, but there are still many undocumented comic books out there. That is one of the appeals of comic book collecting - there are still chances to make real discoveries...

153908.jpg.74054541d4ba46fda2fab16bb2d47c91.jpg

153909.jpg.e87ebae0f38032d37f4f770ed1960858.jpg

153910.jpg.ffba76084b72abc1b2c7e532e530ddac.jpg

153911.jpg.3a9f7682f98ac7ebf0be5a7b228db3dd.jpg

153912.jpg.62cb08f0708e187e5f4424776fb03cef.jpg

Crime Detector #5 is a good example. Looking at it the cover it apears to be a real run of the mill crime book. The last story is a full on Jay Disbrow horror story with a discusting "splash panel" last page. I'll have to post it as I don't think I've seen it on the boards.

Check it out. (thumbs u

Yep, that's the one. Thanks for saving me the trouble of draging out my copy. This is what I mean. You'd never know what you were missing it were slabbed... Let's face it, the cover is kinda hum drum.

And last, this is for scifiduck!I mentioned that I picked up another blue Dell spacer for my dell rack. It originally only came with 2 but when I saw this just sitting around at a show, I thought i would look cool at the bottom so I got it. I took this picture today just how it sits. The picture ain't that good but this gives you an idea what it looks like now.

comicrackdell2_zpskanr4fvq.jpg

Very very nifty! Thanks very much!

Can't believe I missed these posts (guess I was distracted). Great stuff!

Edited by sfcityduck

thread's rocking today, Bob. great toys, popups, and you coaxed good one outa bootie. if remember right, when interviewed Jay, he was particular proud of that one...

Thanks Pat, that's why I'm here. Everybody's participation is what makes this work. It is a group effort. I just try to provide the daily springboard. As long as people participate, and share I will too. If they don't, I'll just take the batteries out and go to sleep...Robot Man

That Popular/The Funnies book is real cool. Made especially for a Camp? Looks like it was a special cover that was attached to a couple of back issue copies of Popular and The Funnies.

Here's the back cover. It was made by Max Gaines to give to the fellow campers of young Bill and his sister Elaine.

153920.jpg.4dabd84568960f0804f5ddac850c8375.jpg

That Popular/The Funnies book is real cool. Made especially for a Camp? Looks like it was a special cover that was attached to a couple of back issue copies of Popular and The Funnies.

Here's the back cover. It was made by Max Gaines to give to the fellow campers of young Bill and his sister Elaine.

Wow. Talk about incredibly rare! Thank you for letting us see it.

Wow, now that is RARE! This is the kind of stuff I love. Rarity trumps almost anything when it comes to collecting. A lot of stuff I am looking for isn't really worth a ton of money but just so hard to find. That is probably one of a kind. Kinda like the Alfred E. Neuman buttons I just posted. Just try and find those...