• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My 50 Year Junk Obsession
9 9

4,504 posts in this topic

I'm kind of surprised you haven't run into any of them. These are all the Australian Superman pins I know of. I got the Argus one in a Melbourne comic store while visiting my wife's family. The other two were Fleabay purchases. I also have a couple Tarzan pins and a beautiful Phantom Australian pin. Are there many flea markets there? That might be a good place or antique stores. Like anything in collecting, you have to beat all the bushes hard and get lucky.

Well, this explains a lot.

You've been through the joint like a giant vacuum cleaner, sucking up all the good stuff, shoving it in a giant carpetbag and taking off lol

I check every flea market possible, but let's face it, a place like NYC will have a vastly better "selection" than even a larger city, like Melbourne, would have.

I've got a couple of Phantom rings, but the ones I (and every other collector here) really covet are a rubber Phantom ring that would leave a "bad mark" impression on a villain's jaw (most have long since simply perished).

The other is a Captain Atom ring whose eyes "glow with an unearthly green fire".

Here's a Linky.

Nice Captain Atom Ring! I gotta get me one of those.

Yeah, I grab anything I can get with my tin claws every where I go. Anytime, I'm in a different place I find out where the junk is and hit it. That's why I have this purty 1940's Auzzie Phantom button! (sorry about the too big photo but you get the idea).

phantompin_zps19bqgz6z.jpg

How about this late 1930's USA Phantom Voodoo Eye Pendant? Love me some skulls and snakes. The thing at bottom center with the flame on it is a "look around" device. Look in the bottom and it has a tilted mirror so you can see things to the right side. One of those cool forgotton items that no body knows what it is (but I do)

phantomvoodoopendant_zps70b749f8.jpg

Only got one for you today. In honor of the "big fight" on Saturday here is a cool item. Made in Germany by Strauss Toys in the 1920's, "Knock Out Prize Fighters" Here is a cool tin boxing toy. Wind it up and they spin around and "spar" with each other. Nice working and complete condition.

boxingtoy_zps8fdd544d.jpg

Only got one for you today. In honor of the "big fight" on Saturday here is a cool item. Made in Germany by Strauss Toys in the 1920's, "Knock Out Prize Fighters" Here is a cool tin boxing toy. Wind it up and they spin around and "spar" with each other. Nice working and complete condition.

boxingtoy_zps8fdd544d.jpg

WOW!!! And that it's an early 'Black collectible' not in the 'sambo vein' is remarkable too. Nice!!

My Sunday Flea Market was fun as always. Some weeks, it is the only thing that gets me through the week. It's the thrill of the hunt boys. You never know what you will find. As you know, my interests are pretty varied so if I work it I can usually go home with something cool.

Got up at 3:30 and was at the flea at 5:00 when the trucks came rolling in. I always hit my regular sources. First one was a bust but the second one handed me a box and said I'd like it. It was full of old tin toys. They were kind of holiday related. I passed on a few Santa toys then I spotted this:

motorcyclerabbit_zpsb4fbd2ba.jpg

I like motorcycle toys and it was an Easter toy I guess. Made by Chein Toys in the late 1930's. I asked the price, liked what I heard and started a pile. I ended up with 5 other Rabbit/Easter tin toys from the 30's-50's. I had to slap some hands reaching into my box but that goes with the territory out there. Did the dance and paid the money. I didn't photo them yet. I don't collect those so they will be for sale later.

I moved on quickly (you gotta be quick because if anything good hits the table it's gone right away). Most of my regulars rolled boxcars for me today. I bought a few other good deals I can make a few bucks on then spotted this just laying all by it's lonesome on a table...

pbhangmanswhip_zpscupjx7ub.jpg

Great Belarski cover for a buck!

Met back up with my wife and was back home by 9:30! Had a fun morning and made a few scores. Already looking forward to next week!

I got that one as well as Thrilling #38 (very similar to this). Also while looking through the Friction House boxes I noticed a lot of ladies tied up to tanks, being boomeranged ect. But thought I'd just keep it to avaition for now.

I got that one as well as Thrilling #38 (very similar to this). Also while looking through the Friction House boxes I noticed a lot of ladies tied up to tanks, being boomeranged ect. But thought I'd just keep it to avaition for now.

Friction requires lubrication. (:

Today, I am going to cheat a little. How about some Silver Age Marvel items? These are all from 1966-1968. This was the "Golden Age" for Marvel memorabilia. A lot of stuff was merchandised during this period. I only keep items from this period.

marvelstickers_zpsg6qxmavk.jpg