• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR (May-2018)
5 5

1,498 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

I wonder how many other entertainment providers can claim the same series of massive acquisitions. Though there is concern with one massive provider like this that may hold back on certain productions like a Deadpool or Logan.

Personally, I don't think a lot of the acquisitions we have seen in recent years should have been allowed. The government has certainly become FAR more lax of the concept of just what a monopoly really is. Disney is getting very close to straddling that line. 

Edited by OrangeCrush

6 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:

Personally, I don't think a lot of the acquisitions we have seen in recent years should have been allowed. The government has certainly become FAR more lax of the concept of just what a monopoly really is.  

And the power with such a monopoly, like when Disney blocked Los Angeles Times reviewers from early movie viewings because of previously published articles not Disney-positive. That's scary!

18 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:
  Hide contents

Your kidding right? Do you have any idea how many planets there are in the universe? Sure, they only show a couple in the films populated by people, but one has to expect that there are millions, if not billions more. The concept of Thanos taking a trip through the entire universe checking on each individual planet is nothing short of absurd, no offense intended. 

Spoiler

There's 1E+23 100 billion stars in the universe.  If we assume each star has 10 planets (and obviously not all 10 would have life), that's 1E+24 1 trillion planets in the universe.  The size and scope of the feat is irrelevant in this conversation.  Where we differ appears to be in what we believe to be the extent of the power of a God.  If Strange can use the Time Stone to witness 14 million scenarios play out in the span of a few seconds, then is it so far fetched that someone that possesses all 6 stones and attains Godhood can't view every planet and decide what percentage of the population to cull?  I'll agree that the MCU Gauntlets powers have not been sufficiently explained to this point, so my basis is on the comic book version.  In my mind, the comic book version is OP enough to perform such a feat.

EDIT: math is wrong.  1 trillion galaxies in the universe, 100 billion stars in the galaxy, 10 planets per star.  It's a much larger for sure, but the point is that a universal God would have the power over such things no problem.

Edited by ExNihilo

15 minutes ago, OrangeCrush said:
  Hide contents

Your kidding right? Do you have any idea how many planets there are in the universe? Sure, they only show a couple in the films populated by people, but one has to expect that there are millions, if not billions more. The concept of Thanos taking a trip through the entire universe checking on each individual planet is nothing short of absurd, no offense intended. 

Spoiler

Actually, I think if anything, they grossly underplayed how powerful the bearer of the infinity gauntlet is supposed to be. Omnipresent.  In all places at the same time.  Thanos could have easily hand-picked who he wanted gone over billions upon billions of worlds if he wanted,  There would be no trip.  

Edited by WeR138
spoiler added

5 minutes ago, WeR138 said:
  Hide contents

Actually, I think if anything, they grossly underplayed how powerful the bearer of the infinity gauntlet is supposed to be. Omnipresent.  In all places at the same time.  Thanos could have easily hand-picked who he wanted gone over billions upon billions of worlds if he wanted,  There would be no trip.  

Spoiler

Well just agree to disagree on this one, especially when he can do what he was intending with the snap of his finger. Why even bother going though that trouble when you can just snap your fingers and be done with it. 

2 hours ago, Broke as a Joke said:

Serious question:  Is this the pinnacle?  Can Marvel stay so strong after part 4 next year?  I feel the audience might need a real break after these movies...

I think the next infinity war movie will be the pinnacle. How can people go and see this and not see the conclusion. My money is on the sequel to Infinity war beating these figures. As too what happens after that....well, that depends on the quality of the characters and films they introduce after infinity war. Personally, I am really looking forward to the upcoming Captain Marvel movie. 

I think the real question is just who are they going to cast in upcoming films. They have already tapped a HUGE chunk of high profile actors and actresses in the previous films. IMO, Marvels casting has been impeccable. Not sure they can keep that up after all, there are only so many high prfile actors and actresses in Hollywood. Honestly, just look at this list for Infinity War.

Ant-Man / Scott Lang - Paul Rudd
Black Panther - Chadwick Boseman
Black Widow / Natasha Romanoff - Scarlett Johansson
Captain America / Steve Rogers - Chris Evans 
Doctor Strange - Benedict Cumberbatch
Drax the Destroyer - Dave Bautista
Eitri - Peter Dinklage
Falcon / Sam Wilson - Anthony Mackie  
Gamora - Zoe Saldana 
Groot - Voiced by Vin Diesel
Happy Hogan - Jon Favreau
Hawkeye / Clint Barton - Jeremy Renner
Hulk / Bruce Banner - Mark Ruffalo
Iron Man / Tony Stark - Robert Downey Jr.
Iron Patriot / James Rhodes - Don Cheadle
Loki - Tom Hiddleston
Mantis - Pom Klementieff
M'Baku - Winston Duke
Maria Hill - Cobie Smulders
Nebula - Karen Gillan
Nick Fury - Samuel L. Jackson
Okoye - Danai Gurira
Pepper Potts - Gwyneth Paltrow
Ramonda - Angela Bassett
Rocket Raccoon - voiced by Bradley Cooper
Scarlet Witch / Wanda Maximoff - Elizabeth Olsen
Shuri - Letitia Wright
Spider-Man / Peter Parker - Tom Holland
Star-Lord / Peter Quill - Chris Pratt
Thanos - Josh Brolin
The Collector - Benicio Del Toro
The Vision - Paul Bettany
The Winter Soldier / Bucky Barnes - Sebastian Stan
Thor - Chris Hemsworth
Valkyrie - Tessa Thompson
Wong - Benedict Wong
Rhomann Dey - John C. Reilly

And here are other high profile actors and actresses that have appeared in other films. 

Alice Krige - Eir (Thor 2)
Andy Serkis - Ulysses Klaue (Black Panther)
Anthony Hopkins - Odin (Thor Trilogy)
Ben Kingsley - Trevor Slattery (Iron-Man 3)
Cate Blanchett - Hela Goddess of Death (Thor Ragnarok)
Djimon Hounsou - Korath (GotG)
Edward Norton - Bruce Banner (Hulk)
Evangeline Lilly - The Wasp / Hope van Dyne (Ant-Man)
Forest Whitaker - Zuri (Black Panther)
Glenn Close - Nova Prime (GotG)
Guy Pearce - Aldrich Killian (Iron Man 3)
Hayley Atwell - Peggy Carter (Captain America)
Hugo Weaving - Red Skull / Johann Schmidt (Captain America)
Idris Elba - Heimdall (Thor Trilogy)
Jaimie Alexander - Lady Sif (Thor, Thor 2)
Jeff Bridges - Obadiah Stane (Iron-Man)
Jeff Goldblum - Grandmaster (Thor Ragnarok)
John C. Reilly - Corpsman Dey (GotG)
Karl Urban - Skurge (Thor Ragnarok)
Kat Dennings - Darcy Lewis (Thor 1 & 2)
Kurt Russell - EGO (GotG 2)
Liv Tyler - Betty Ross (Hulk)
Mads Mikkelsen -
Kaecilius (Doctor Strange)
Marisa Tomei - Mary Parker (Spider-Man & Civil War)
Michael Douglas - Dr. Hank Pym (Ant-Man)
Michael Keaton - Vulture / Adrian Toomes (Spider-Man HC)
Michael Rooker - Yondu Udonta (GotG 1 & 2)
Mickey Rourke - Ivan Vanko (Iron-Man 2)
Natalie Portman - Jane Foster (Thor 1 & 2)
Rachel McAdams - Christine Palmer (Doctor Strange)
Rene Russo - Frigga (Thor 1 & 2)
Robert Redford - Alexander Pierce (CA - Winter Soldier)
Sam Rockwell - Justin Hammer (Iron-Man 2)
Stellan Skarsgard - (Thor, Thor 2, Avengers)
Sylvester Stallone - (GotG 2)
Terrence Howard - Rhodey (Iron-Man)
Tilda Swinton - The Ancient One (Doctor Strange)
Tim Roth - Emil Blonsky (Hulk)
Toby Jones - Dr. Arnim Zola (Captain America)
Tommy Lee Jones - Colonel Chester Phillips (Captain America)
William Hurt - Secretary of State Thaddeus Ross (Many)
Zachary Levi - Fandral (Thor 2)
Stan Lee (Cameo in every film to date)

Edited by OrangeCrush

1 hour ago, Bosco685 said:
1 hour ago, OrangeCrush said:

4 Billion, lol. That will go down as one of the biggest deals in corporate buyout history. They got over 5000 Marvel characters (now up to 8000) and have already made over 13 billion just at the box office alone. That doesn't include merchandising rights, which is a BIG one when it comes to both DC and Marvel. They make a decent amount of money off of merchandising. Not to mention Blu-Ray/DVD sales. Again, easily one of the best deals in regards to buyouts in the entire history of corporate America. 

You are not kidding!

Between Marvel and Star Wars, Disney can keep printing money for years through movies, TV shows and merchandising. Not even considering comic books from all these characters.

Whats really amazing is someone finally understood the marketing potential of Marvel. Its a cash cow for years and people like me will line up to see the films because we have wanted them for so many years.

31 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Whats really amazing is someone finally understood the marketing potential of Marvel. Its a cash cow for years and people like me will line up to see the films because we have wanted them for so many years.

Whats even more amazing than that is Marvel was filing for bankruptcy back in 1996. Another one for the record books in regards to corporate America. Easily one of the greatest comeback's by any company in the history of America. And what was so ingenious about it, and this is what separates Marvel from DC, is they decided to create thier own studio as opposed to going to other studios like WB to fund and make the films. That gave Marvel full creative control and no doubt played a HUGE role in Marvel's overall success. Plus they got to keep all the money as opposed to giving a lot of it away to other studios. 

Edited by OrangeCrush

Just now, OrangeCrush said:
6 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

Whats even more amazing than that is Marvel were filing for bankruptcy back in 1996. Another one for the record books in regards to corporate America. Easily one of the greatest comeback's by any company in the history of America. 

I know I had just bought the stock a year before when I turned 22 and bought shares for my brother. Split 3 times in under 2 years and then took a dive. doh!

Pearlman didn't know what he had it was obvious of that.

18 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

I know I had just bought the stock a year before when I turned 22 and bought shares for my brother. Split 3 times in under 2 years and then took a dive. doh!

Pearlman didn't know what he had it was obvious of that.

Trust me, I feel your pain MANY times over. I sold half of my Apple stock back in 1999 so I could buy a large format photography lens. The stock had been stagnate for years, hovering at just above a dollar a share. Then it spiked up to $4 a share in 1999 and I really needed that lens. So I sold 1000 shares for just under $4,000. The stock split 3 times after that including 2 - 2-1 splits and a heart crushing 7-1 split. Those 1000 shares would have turned into 28,000 shares and Apple's current stock price is $162.32 today. Thats basically 4.5 million dollars, all so I could buy a $4,000 lens, lol. And I wound up selling a bit more after that. The good news is I did keep around 30% so I still have a very nice chunk of money invested in Apple. Still. it kills me even thinking about this. 

Edited by OrangeCrush

On 4/28/2018 at 11:13 AM, Mystafo said:

Well I'm glad it was good for you guys.  I see only certain opinions on this movie are valid :headbang:

No, its because just like you probably assume how can anyone think SW The Last Jedi (or as I like to call it, STAR Feminism: The Last Snowflake) was a good movie. We all think you are thoroughly ridiculous for not enjoying this dream come true movie.  Marvel though owned by Disney are not puppets to Disney like STar Wars is.  

Just now, NewWorldOrder said:

No, its because just like you probably assume how can anyone think SW The Last Jedi (or as I like to call it, STAR Feminism: The Last Snowflake) was a good movie. We all think you are thoroughly ridiculous for not enjoying this dream come true movie.  Marvel though owned by Disney are not puppets to Disney like STar Wars is.  

Wait. So if someone doesn't come into this thread cheering how this is the best movie they ever saw, they are not allowed to state their own opinion and feelings?

1 minute ago, Bosco685 said:

Wait. So if someone doesn't come into this thread cheering how this is the best movie they ever saw, they are not allowed to state their own opinion and feelings?

If you are a fan of the Marvel mythos and you think this movie is terrible I mean its doesnt even make sense.  That person's expectations must be out of whack. 

7 minutes ago, NewWorldOrder said:

If you are a fan of the Marvel mythos and you think this movie is terrible I mean its doesnt even make sense.  That person's expectations must be out of whack. 

Hey, I hear you. Even with my questions about certain scenes, there was plenty to enjoy in the movie. More characters coming together than I ever dreamed I see in one sitting.

But there are going to be folks that may not appreciate it. One fellow I talked with was so hung up on Thanos not taking on the journey for the Infinity Stones early on, he felt the entire roadmap was just thrown together. (shrug)

It's going to happen.

Edited by Bosco685

5 minutes ago, paperheart said:

waaaaaaaaahhhh, it's not a contest; in the truest sense of the the words it's NO CONTEST. 

Its never even been close to a contest, with the one exception being Wonder Woman. DC is so far behind with the DCEU compared to Marvel that its not even funny. And the sad thing is, Marvel basically handed DC the perfect blueprint for making these films, but DC was stubborn and wanted to go a different route. One much more dark and serious and we have all seen how that has played out. The good news on this front is I think DC is starting to come around. Wonder Woman was a great movie and hiring Joss Whedon clearly shows they want to lighten things up a bit. Still, they have a LOT of catching up to do. And what makes this even more unbelievable for me is I think DC has a MUCH stronger roster of characters than Marvel. 

Edited by OrangeCrush