• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charlton, Dell, Gold Key, and Harvey...

371 posts in this topic

I collect several sixties Harvey titles, in particular the squarebound adventure books, plus Bunny and Harvey Pop Comics. Those last two titles make good companion runs to my Tippy Teen collection.

Good man!

(thumbs u

Those two issues of Harvey Pop are tough to find -- the first featuring that cutting edge heavy metal group The Cowsills, the second featuring Bunny.

The issue with selling these comics is that there are very few collectors out there. However, when you get that one or two guys at your table and you have some oddball books, you do very, very well.

No mention of Harvey horror... I've always been curious about them, but never tried one. I keep seeing issues for sale like Chamber of Chills that look gorgeous, but they limp in, and sell for a fraction of what a DC or an Atlas of the time sells for.

Are they cheap because no one wants them, or does no one want them because they're cheap?

Good point! The investor/speculator crowd typically consists of momentum traders as opposed to bargain hunters. so low prices can actually put these fellows off!

Here though are scans of some of my Harvey mystery/horror comics:

29-09-201222324PM.jpg

27-08-201190404AM.jpg

17-05-201183601PM.jpg

BlackCat43.jpg

27-08-201190409AM.jpg

27-08-201190417AM.jpg

27-08-201190422AM.jpg

:cool:

Oops... I guess I over paid Bedrock City when I bought this today.

7da260f1d568f966c5dbb258ead9ad403e60f6fd.jpg

The rapid increase in it's price over the past few years has been due to the lack demand. hm

Nice one! I have a decent VG I'm happy to own. :) The great thing about the early Scooby run is how the panels and plots are broken down to follow pretty much 100% the 1969-70 episodes, all of which being classics, make for great and nostalgic reading. :)

No mention of Harvey horror... I've always been curious about them, but never tried one. I keep seeing issues for sale like Chamber of Chills that look gorgeous, but they limp in, and sell for a fraction of what a DC or an Atlas of the time sells for.

Are they cheap because no one wants them, or does no one want them because they're cheap?

Well Atlas is on fire now but sweet HG copies of the Harvey horror titles sell really well and go for good prices. Especially key issues such as Black Cat 50, Tomb of Terror 15 and more recently Chamber of Chills 19. These copies and some others command a premium. There are lots of other cool covers and are well collected. (thumbs u

ChamberOfChills23.jpg

WitchesTales24.jpg

BlackCatMystery48.jpg

Agreed with Jayman -- trends come and go, Atlas is definitely hot for the best covers (but not ALL of Atlas is universally hot, as well.) Harvey horror is all quality stuff, and I'm pleased to add it to my collection for reasonable prices! There are the breakout covers Jayman mentioned which go for big bucks -- and I do think Chamber of Chills #23 really ought to be one of them (since I already have my copy and am not worried if it suddenly has a runup in price!) ;)

I think the biggest problem with Gold Key/Dells and Harveys is that they just published to damn much. And while some series are collectible (noted a lot in this thread), there are a ton that just don't do anything.

TV shows that lasted 1 season and 4 issues; random Four Colors; the 8th, 9th, and 10th Little Dot series, and Westerns (except for Toth) are really, really hard to sell.

Some fantastic Harvey books posted there. I like Lee Elias' artwork, mainly because it's in a well-executed Caniff-like style.

When I read the Harvey horror books I was a little underwhelmed by the stories ; quite tame despite many of the covers suggesting something much more than that inside, and well below the EC benchmark.

TV shows that lasted 1 season and 4 issues; random Four Colors; the 8th, 9th, and 10th Little Dot series, and Westerns (except for Toth) are really, really hard to sell.

For awhile now, I've thought that trying to assemble a mid grade Four Color run would be fun. So much diversity there. However, it would be a major commitment or resources in order to complete.

Some fantastic Harvey books posted there. I like Lee Elias' artwork, mainly because it's in a well-executed Caniff-like style.

When I read the Harvey horror books I was a little underwhelmed by the stories ; quite tame despite many of the covers suggesting something much more than that inside, and well below the EC benchmark.

I don't really agree. There's far worse PCH output out there than what Harvey offered. The story related to the cover of COC 19 is a classic gore tale and very beautifully drawn, as an example. But that's MOO -- everyone's got one.

I don't really agree. There's far worse PCH output out there than what Harvey offered. The story related to the cover of COC 19 is a classic gore tale and very beautifully drawn, as an example. But that's MOO -- everyone's got one.

In general, I found most ACG books to have very poor stories and artwork, and were quite unreadable. An occasional short story by Frazetta, Wiliamson, Schaffenberger or Buscema didn't make up for wading through piles of dross to get there.

Personally, I found Harvey horror comics to be just as inconsistent.

In general, I found most ACG books to have very poor stories and artwork, and were quite unreadable. An occasional short story by Frazetta, Wiliamson, Schaffenberger or Buscema didn't make up for wading through piles of dross to get there.

Personally, I found Harvey horror comics to be just as inconsistent.

Ah, but the early ACG's are pretty good. :) But everyone isn't going to see things just the same anyway! For me, the ultimate dross in PCH has to belong to Minoan publications ("Tales of Horror" and the like.) Even as much as I love Mister Mystery, Weird Mysteries, etc. for their covers, and excluding Wolverton gems (of course), some of their internal art was infernal at best, and not in the good pre-code way; more dross. :)

Harvey was a mixed bag of good and bad, the covers even in the best cases never living up to their sweet promises! This was the case for all PCH books. Here's a great example from Harvey, love this cover...HATE the cover story! :pullhair:

What horror was lurking "Up There!"???

WitchesTales26.jpg

It turns out to be a...wait for the scare...A HOTDOG CART!!!

Yep, a scary old hotdog cart dumped on the mountaintop that makes the guy go crazy! I guess it didn't take much to make people flip out back in the 50's! :facepalm: