• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charlton, Dell, Gold Key, and Harvey...

371 posts in this topic

Always loved Charlton horror! :cloud9:

There are some gems in there...

BaronWeirwulfsHauntedLibrary25_zps53dda898.jpg

ScaryTales2_zpseac71748.jpg

ScaryTales42_zpsef6cd6c5.jpg

Charlton seemed to re use covers fairly often...I have a Haunted with the same cover as the Scary Tales but with a blue background,and can think of a few others in my head right now but can't remember titles,issues exactly.I ADORE Charltons of that era...well any era really.... :cloud9: sorry,Scary #42.

Yes, they absolutely reused a lot of the older art on the later books. What a cost saver that must have been for them. I wonder if they just reshot the covers from archived stats, or how I would like to imagine, they had the original art boards just packed away in a closet. Just thinking of a room filled with original Ditko and Tom Sutton artwork! :cloud9:

... For me, the ultimate dross in PCH has to belong to Minoan publications ("Tales of Horror" and the like.) Even as much as I love Mister Mystery, Weird Mysteries, etc. for their covers, and excluding Wolverton gems (of course), some of their internal art was infernal at best, and not in the good pre-code way; more dross. :)

I've just spotted 'Tales of Horror' on Digital Comic Museum.

I'll have something to read if I feel like punishing myself one day, then? lol

Charlton, Dell, Gold Key, Harvey.

I have tons of it. And I do like it all. I wouldn't even know where to begin ...

I especially like the fact that many of the titles were Actual "funny books" - the concept that comic books were meant to be comical/humorous. Generally speaking, it is high time these titles got more respect and carried more value.

Harvey was a mixed bag of good and bad, the covers even in the best cases never living up to their sweet promises! This was the case for all PCH books. Here's a great example from Harvey, love this cover...HATE the cover story! :pullhair:

What horror was lurking "Up There!"???

WitchesTales26.jpg

It turns out to be a...wait for the scare...A HOTDOG CART!!!

Yep, a scary old hotdog cart dumped on the mountaintop that makes the guy go crazy! I guess it didn't take much to make people flip out back in the 50's! :facepalm:

I don't collect PHC titles, nor know much about them.

I have been able though, to see and now know some classic and or cool covers, through the years here.

I have never seen this cover before. I will totally agree with you that this indeed is an awesome cover! Something about it that just makes it uniquely cool - I fricken dig it!!

Harvey was a mixed bag of good and bad, the covers even in the best cases never living up to their sweet promises! This was the case for all PCH books. Here's a great example from Harvey, love this cover...HATE the cover story! :pullhair:

WitchesTales26.jpg

Yep, a scary old hotdog cart dumped on the mountaintop that makes the guy go crazy! I guess it didn't take much to make people flip out back in the 50's! :facepalm:

I have been able though, to see and now know some classic and or cool covers, through the years here.

I have never seen this cover before. I will totally agree with you that this indeed is an awesome cover! Something about it that just makes it uniquely cool - I fricken dig it!!

The fact that it turns out to be a hot dog cart is just awesome. :)

And BTW, Lee Elias was such an incredible artist, eh?!

Some of the covers he did on comics I happen to own are amazing.

As for Gold Key, I collected Magnus, Twilight Zone, Ripley's Believe it or Not and (possibly my favorite) UFO and Flying Saucers. I was at that age that I thought flying saucers were cool!

Still, horror and mystery remained my main focus.

BorisKarloffThriller1_zpsa48f35cb.jpg

WitchesTales26.jpg

How about the mega classic cover to Chamber of Chills #19....the story on the interior is what,two pages?;)

As for Gold Key, I collected Magnus, Twilight Zone, Ripley's Believe it or Not and (possibly my favorite) UFO and Flying Saucers. I was at that age that I thought flying saucers were cool!

Still, horror and mystery remained my main focus.

BorisKarloffThriller1_zpsa48f35cb.jpg

One of the first books I remember getting at a yard sale....I loved it so much I read it till the cover fell off...still have it,and a replacement.That is a great looking copy.The other comic I remember getting that day was a Boris as well,with a red trex on the cover....oh,and every. Tragg that was there...oh those sky gods.

dir1.8a.jpg

This is the sort of book I would have bought off of the newsstand as a kid. In the 60s, without hundreds of TV stations, DVDs, PVRs or digital downloads, anything you saw on TV was pretty much a one-shot deal -- with repeats being hit and miss.

There was a strong tie in between TV and comic books -- the comic books providing the permanence to a TV show or movie that you couldn't find any other way.*

*I suppose Viewmaster slides were another way.

WitchesTales26.jpg

The fact that it turns out to be a hot dog cart is just awesome. :)

I agree! That would make the story.

lol

Such great books being shown around here.

Indeed!I have been in love with GK's painted covers since I was a kid.

@Jayman:That's the one!I'll have to get up an image of mine.I still have the other Boris I got that day as well,with a giant chameleon coming out of a chandelier.They should be in the same spot,and I actually know where they are!

Hey Hepcat, gonna strut some stuff here?Some Gorgo maybe?

Yes, they absolutely reused a lot of the older art on the later books. What a cost saver that must have been for them. I wonder if they just reshot the covers from archived stats, or how I would like to imagine, they had the original art boards just packed away in a closet. Just thinking of a room filled with original Ditko and Tom Sutton artwork! :cloud9:

Did they not lose all the original art in a giant warehouse fire?I read about that here somewhere.....a total loss of decades of hoarded art and backissues... :cry: