• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Charlton, Dell, Gold Key, and Harvey...

371 posts in this topic

Fan of Jack Keller's work at Charlton on the racing books. His detail on the cars is what I enjoyed. Here's a few of examples in my collection.

TeenageHotrodders8front001_zps5da2a945.jpg

HotRodRacers6front001_zpsaeca9083.jpg

TeenageHotrodders6front001_zpsc4c5e9d0.jpg

Very nice books. Excellent condition.

I read these as a kid and grew up loving cars. The bad guys could cheat as much as they wanted but they could never beat the good guys in that final race.

A rare Jack Keller cover for Marvel.

KCO120FJan65.jpg

I think it's fair to say that interest in these books tends to be concentrated in high-end graded copies, copies with collectible artists, and some oddball titles.

I would add also Pedigree copies to this list.

(Bethlems, Curators and Circle 8s to name a few for our beloved books)

Also the availability of a lot of File Copies to be had by collectors for these publishers compared to Marvel & DC.

There are actually three Charlton books I've been looking for personally that I haven't been able to find, and that's nice high-grade raw copies of Speed Buggy #2-4 (very early Byrne artwork). I have his Space:1999, Emergency! and Doomsday +1 stuff in HG, but not those.

Peace,

Chip

As for collecting

I collect Dell Looney Tunes related comics, some of the Popular Comics issues are stand out. I also like some Tom and Jerry stuff they did too.

Six Million Dollar Man and The Bionic Woman are my Charlton babies( grew up on those on the tube!) and I could use a Negro Romances 4 they did to complete the run.

And Harvey's golden age super hero stuff always intrigued me, but I feel I better jump in sooner than later before there's a realization there are some killer covers from that era/ genre

The Gold Key Action/Hero books certainly have collectors. The first issues of titles like Magnus, Dr. Solar, Lost In Space sell for well over guide prices in high grade. And they are person_without_enough_empathy in high grade.

The first issue of Turok (Dell FC 596) published 1954 is hugely overlooked and mid grade copies are hard to find.

Charlton has a noticeable fan base for their horror and action/superhero titles. And for TV tie ins like Six Million Dollar Man

Early Richie Rich and Archie are expensive and sell quickly. Later issues are slower but still have demand.

There are two things going on that influence dealer thinking that these books - plus genres like Westerns, Disney or TV books - do not sell well. First of course is their own local market. There is a whole world full of collectors out there. eBay reaches a lot more people than a comic book store in small town Tennessee. Just examples, Disney and a lot of undergrounds and the Phantom have big fan bases in Europe and Australia.

The second reason is just as important. Virtually all stores have very little comparatively speaking in the way of inventory in these "slow" titles. If you have 20 western comics in your inventory 20,000 comics, you are likely to think them slow. If you have thousands, Western collectors will find you. Same thing with Disney, GK adventure, Charlton Horror.

I actively collect Harveys, I currently have about 1100, many high grade and slabbed.

Harveys were my favorite as a child, and I got back into enjoying them and actively collecting them about eight years ago.

Here's a few high grade issues of "Little Sad Sack" I have...

photo LittleSadSack5.jpg

photo LittleSadSack18.jpg

photo LittleSadSack7.jpg

Also the availability of a lot of File Copies to be had by collectors for these publishers compared to Marvel & DC.

Not in the Charltons though!

:(

You are correct Hepcat, to no surprise.

Since I'm not a Charlton collector (or Whitman, Harvey....) I was being selfish and only thinking about my personal favorites.....Gold Key & Dells:)

Why is this so - pertaining to Charltons?

Are their many Peds for Charltons or other publishers?

You want a tough collecting goal?

Try putting together a run of Stumbo the Giant in grade. Impossible. Even finding reading copies is difficult.

I collect several sixties Harvey titles, in particular the squarebound adventure books, plus Bunny and Harvey Pop Comics. Those last two titles make good companion runs to my Tippy Teen collection.

No mention of Harvey horror... I've always been curious about them, but never tried one. I keep seeing issues for sale like Chamber of Chills that look gorgeous, but they limp in, and sell for a fraction of what a DC or an Atlas of the time sells for.

Are they cheap because no one wants them, or does no one want them because they're cheap?

No mention of Harvey horror... I've always been curious about them, but never tried one. I keep seeing issues for sale like Chamber of Chills that look gorgeous, but they limp in, and sell for a fraction of what a DC or an Atlas of the time sells for.

Are they cheap because no one wants them, or does no one want them because they're cheap?

Well Atlas is on fire now but sweet HG copies of the Harvey horror titles sell really well and go for good prices. Especially key issues such as Black Cat 50, Tomb of Terror 15 and more recently Chamber of Chills 19. These copies and some others command a premium. There are lots of other cool covers and are well collected. (thumbs u

ChamberOfChills23.jpg

WitchesTales24.jpg

BlackCatMystery48.jpg