• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Any books red hot 5-10 years ago that have now fallen?

197 posts in this topic

I am just curious - why would the non-collector popular society tire of them? IOW, what makes you so sure?

Zombie movies have been around since the 60's, and so has James Bond movies. Star Wars, since the mid-1970's. No tiring of any of those yet. Batman from 1989 was sort of the grand-daddy that started it all, although there are arguments to be made about the Christopher Reeves Superman movies being that grand-daddy. If so, then Tim Burton's Batman was the daddy.

Who is to say that superheroes won't be the next long-lasting genre?

I am not saying it will be... but I am not saying it won't, either.

:)

-slym

Just for fun:

GL 76 in 9.6

High for

2009: $30,500

2010: $25,000

2011: $10,158

2013: $7,335

2014: $6,274 (Don & Maggie copy)

Perfect example of a hot artist being hot with his generation`s fans and not with the modern generation.

Steranko books have taken a hit, as well.

So in conclusion

A hot first appearance of a character will trump a hot first appearance of an artist in the long run.

No.

Clarify please?

hm

Those prices have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the popularity of Neal Adams, who is just as popular today as he was 6 years ago, and everything to do with census numbers.

+1 There was a mania surrounding that book in high grade at the time. There was a lot of discussion here about how hard it was to find in grade, etc. that inflated the price. It was clear what was happening at the time.

Just for fun:

GL 76 in 9.6

High for

Perfect example of a hot artist being hot with his generation`s fans and not with the modern generation.

So in conclusion

A hot first appearance of a character will trump a hot first appearance of an artist in the long run.

No.

Clarify please?

hm

Those prices have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the popularity of Neal Adams, who is just as popular today as he was 6 years ago, and everything to do with census numbers.

+1 There was a mania surrounding that book in high grade at the time. There was a lot of discussion here about how hard it was to find in grade, etc. that inflated the price. It was clear what was happening at the time.

Taking out all the bloat GL 76 received, I am not sure I agree Neal Adams is as popular now as he was 5 years ago. He is definitely not as popular now as he was 10 or more years ago simply because a new stream of artists have come into the picture and he (like many of his age) are slowly fading into the background. He isn't irrelevant, but in 10-20 years he will barely be known by the current comic reading community.

Separately, long term a first appearance of a major character will always trump a "key" book of a once/current popular artist. Saying otherwise is plain silly. GL 76 doesn't hold a candle to SC 22 and it never will.

I have my favorite artists too, but most people collect comics for the characters. If they didn't a character would become unpopular the second a new artist takes over. There have been plenty of artists I could live without that have drawn Spider-man, but I still have an Amazing Fantasy 15 and still love Spider-man. Many people come in and out of a series as artists/writers come and go, but that doesn't mean they quit on the character.

I am just curious - why would the non-collector popular society tire of them? IOW, what makes you so sure?

Zombie movies have been around since the 60's, and so has James Bond movies. Star Wars, since the mid-1970's. No tiring of any of those yet. Batman from 1989 was sort of the grand-daddy that started it all, although there are arguments to be made about the Christopher Reeves Superman movies being that grand-daddy. If so, then Tim Burton's Batman was the daddy.

Who is to say that superheroes won't be the next long-lasting genre?

I am not saying it will be... but I am not saying it won't, either.

:)

-slym

Because no great thing lasts forever. There will be a reckoning, just not any time soon. I hope I'm wrong.

Zombie movies? I don't remember 5+ zombie movies or 5+ zombie TV shows each year over a span of consecutive years. Star Wars? So they've done 7 of those movies over nearly 40 years, right? :preach: James Bond? Some 25 movies spread out over 53 years. Those (horrendous) Burton Batman flicks? Just one every few years, thankfully. The point is that these are all spread out over a span of years with breaks in between. Not the multiple-film/TV show-per-year saturation we're only starting to see now. Again: I hope I'm wrong!

Why shouldn't we use 9.8 as a barometer for Bronze?

Because the lack of information about the true availability of 9.8 Bronze books artificially overvalued them in the 5-10 year period that the OP references.

But why wouldn't that be true for 9.4 as well? Just because they haven't fallen (yet) due to increased pressing and slabbing doesn't mean they won't follow suit as supply inevitably increases.

It was, in many cases, and they also dropped, just not as precipitously as the 9.8s. The knowledge that there is a far larger supply of high grade than initially thought, is now already built into the price of 9.4s, just like their 9.8 brethren.

Just for fun:

GL 76 in 9.6

High for

I am happy for that.That way I can afford a decent copy one day

I had no idea that book hit those prices.

That is crazy. Wow.

The Ultimate line of books spring immediately into mind, as others have posted.

I wasn't in the hunt for the MM series in high grade, but I can only imagine what that was like. Pure insanity, I'm sure.

Yeah. Ultimate anything has crashed.

Just for fun:

GL 76 in 9.6

High for

I am happy for that.That way I can afford a decent copy one day

I had no idea that book hit those prices.

That is crazy. Wow.

There was a lot of hype around the 1 of 1 9.6 and there were strong prices for 9.4s. There was some thought that 9.6 would the top forever... Then along came 2 9.8s and 15 more 9.6s...

See the grade history, it tells the story pretty well: http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/comicid/1170

Just for fun:

GL 76 in 9.6

High for

So in conclusion

No.

Clarify please?

hm

+2

I think I also have to disagree that Steranko books have taken a large hit. His most in demand covers remain very strong. IH annual 1 in 9.6 has seen some very strong sales in the past six months and CA 111 commands what I consider strong prices in hg despite the large number of high grade copies available.

Interesting history lesson here. The drop in the great majority (nearly all?) 9.6/9.8 Bronze Age books over a 10-year period is a careful lesson that applies with greater force to the crazy-high census-count 9.8 Coppers, issues that have an even greater number out there unslabbed, waiting to be dropped on the market.

I've been saying this for 10 years. It parallels the coin market, except it took a little longer to play out, because there was only one grading company, as opposed to two.

All the prices you see? All the 9.6/9.8 prices? None of them are real. Yes, people actually paid those prices, but they weren't a real reflection of what actually existed.

I just wish I'd been far, far more aggressive myself, but I did ok. Sold a Primer #2 for $1150 (still the record) and a Spidey #300 for $1350, among other things. ;)

...one thing about the coin analogy..... that market (in regards to quality material, at least) now exhibits slow but steady increases in price that really don't outperform more traditional investments. The comic market will likely also follow suit. If speculation/investment is the motive, then diversification is as important now as ever. Property, stocks, and bonds are STILL important if one doesn't want a rude awakening in 30 years time. The thing about BA through CA books is that they were relatively a LOT cheaper in relation to a typical salary at the time. Everyone I knew in the 70's were buying 2 copies.... one to read, another to salt away in the hope that you could get 5 bucks some day for your NM 20 cent comic. An additional factor was the direct sale market from 1976 on...... books were no longer destroyed. Personally, I was surprised to see as many GL 76's surface in grade.... that run caught the market kind of by surprise (when it was first released) and was not hoarded like it's Marvel counterparts. For me..... it will always be a book of utmost historical importance.... it was a real game changer..... and it's got quality material. GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

B
Why shouldn't we use 9.8 as a barometer for Bronze?

Because the lack of information about the true availability of 9.8 Bronze books artificially overvalued them in the 5-10 year period that the OP references.

But why wouldn't that be true for 9.4 as well? Just because they haven't fallen (yet) due to increased pressing and slabbing doesn't mean they won't follow suit as supply inevitably increases.

In most cases today's prices are more a reflection of "not yet valuable enough to slab the 9.4s" rather than a true reflection of value.

Those who think the 9.2 - 9.4 prices are more stable than the 9.8 prices may be in for a rude awakening five years from now, esp. once the Disney Marvel movie hype has diminished.

I don`t see them diminishing.

Why would they?

Iron Man came out in 2008. Here we are in 2015 and the Marvel movies are bigger then ever!

Think of the Super Bowl. The interest in that never diminishes.

The Marvel movies are like events now.

There are three must see movies for me in 2015.

They are all Disney movies.

Avengers, Ant-Man and Star Wars.

I don`t see people getting tired of them, especially when they only make 2 or 3 of them a year.

I mean this in the nicest possible way, but you are in for a rude awakening when the market corrects, I woukd strongly advise studying the greater antiques and collectibles market in depth. The 'Western' era craze lasted decades fueled by movies and speculation and when it corrected it came with very little warning. You don't think comic books (I.e. Westerns) were affected when this occurred? You don't think there were dealers and hardcore collectors arguing it woukd never happen?

Speculative bubbles are not always a flash in the pan or only happen with modern mass produced items. Lots of vintage and antique items suffer from speculative crazes as well. Victorian furniture is one such example. So are Japanese tin toys.

Just for fun:

GL 76 in 9.6

High for

So in conclusion

No.

Clarify please?

hm

Taking out all the bloat GL 76 received, I am not sure I agree Neal Adams is as popular now as he was 5 years ago. He is definitely not as popular now as he was 10 or more years ago simply because a new stream of artists have come into the picture and he (like many of his age) are slowly fading into the background. He isn't irrelevant, but in 10-20 years he will barely be known by the current comic reading community.

Separately, long term a first appearance of a major character will always trump a "key" book of a once/current popular artist. Saying otherwise is plain silly. GL 76 doesn't hold a candle to SC 22 and it never will.

I have my favorite artists too, but most people collect comics for the characters. If they didn't a character would become unpopular the second a new artist takes over. There have been plenty of artists I could live without that have drawn Spider-man, but I still have an Amazing Fantasy 15 and still love Spider-man. Many people come in and out of a series as artists/writers come and go, but that doesn't mean they quit on the character.

I agree a key will trump a hot artist book, but Neal Adams, who does as many shows a year or more than even Stan Lee, almost always has a consistent line of business at his booth. He may not have an influx of new work to entice new people with, but there are still new people discovering his classic work, and at shows it's very visible to see.

More or less popular than 5-10 years ago? Not sure how you gauge that... but from the perspective of someone who sees him at 6-7 shows a year over the last couple of years, his popularity doesn't look to be waning to me.

Just for fun:

GL 76 in 9.6

High for

So in conclusion

No.

Clarify please?

hm

+2

I think I also have to disagree that Steranko books have taken a large hit. His most in demand covers remain very strong. IH annual 1 in 9.6 has seen some very strong sales in the past six months and CA 111 commands what I consider strong prices in hg despite the large number of high grade copies available.

+3

Interest in Steranko is as strong as ever, and it's fueled by his increase in convention appearances here lately (always a line to see him) and his regular twitter interaction. He's made himself available to his fans and his fans have responded.