• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Harvey file copies
1 1

21 posts in this topic

This may have been covered elsewhere, but why do there seem to be so many "Harvey file copies" in circulation?

I once bought one years ago, raw on eBay from jscomics. It came with no documentation to say it was a file copy. I sent it to CGC to be slabbed because it was a really nice book and it came back noted as a Harvey file copy. How did they know?

Additionally, while I still owned that issue someone was selling that very same issue as a file copy on ebay. So there is more than one file copy of some Harvey issues out there.

Lately blissard on ebay has been selling lots of Harvey file copies. Where are they all coming from? How are they identified as 'file' copies and not just hi-grade books?

And why aren't there any Marvel, DC, Charlton, or other comic company file copies around? (Except, of course, the Gaines file copies of EC books.)

Hmm.

jscomics has stacks of issues they pull from - multiple copies of the same title and issue #.

Didn't Diamond/Geppi have access to the original stacks? I know I bought my Smokey Bears, Woodsy Owls, and Baby Huey 1 from them back in the late 80s / early 90s.

jscomics has stacks of issues they pull from - multiple copies of the same title and issue #.

Didn't Diamond/Geppi have access to the original stacks? I know I bought my Smokey Bears, Woodsy Owls, and Baby Huey 1 from them back in the late 80s / early 90s.

gawd I'm getting frickin' old..., :P

To answer your question, Harvey would stamp the first page of the book designating it for there files.

... and raise another question: How many times Harvey would stamp the first page of the book for the "file copies"? Given that we know there are boxloads upon boxloads of file copies out there. I've wondered how they can call them "file copies" when there is nothing to see on first page.

I have many Harvey file copies here. Yes, the earlier the number of titles, harder the copies to be found.

gawd I'm getting frickin' old..., :P

You and me both.

:tonofbricks:

I think it may have been part of the Jay Maybruck interview ?, but there's a LOT of info about the Harvey Warehouse in the www.metropoliscomics.com archives for the Comic Zone radio program that Vince was hosting for a few years...... dozens and dozens of interviews (audio) with comic pros and many comic dealers..... each with their own session and individually linked.... fantastic information and very entertaining. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I have a few hundred Harvey "file copies" (more like warehouse copies) with about 50 slabbed. Most were purchased from jscomics and blissard.

I find blissard much more accurate in grading than jscomics. I purchase raw Harvey file copies from blissard exclusively now. In 2013 I bought "file copies" of "Little Dot Dotland" from jscomics that were worn and not like any file copies I'd seen. I negotiated a rebate, left neutral feedback, and got banned!

I heartily recommend blissard for your raw Harvey File Copy needs.

Adam is excellent. Another source a while back was Geppi's son ...... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Just buttering him up for a chance at his Dad's Action 1? :baiting:

I have a few hundred Harvey "file copies" (more like warehouse copies) with about 50 slabbed. Most were purchased from jscomics and blissard.

I find blissard much more accurate in grading than jscomics. I purchase raw Harvey file copies from blissard exclusively now. In 2013 I bought "file copies" of "Little Dot Dotland" from jscomics that were worn and not like any file copies I'd seen. I negotiated a rebate, left neutral feedback, and got banned!

I believe JS has multiple graders - some terrible - some good - you really have to look at the series of scans and decide which titles are accurately graded and which ones you will bid on.

I second that. I've bought many Harvey File Copies, and other books, from Blissard. Well-graded, securely packed, quickly shipped. What more could a buyer want?

I've seen references to the Harvey warehouse/file copies over the years, and have often wondered how many there were. In fact, I was curious enough that I was finally going to start a thread saying, "I'm sure this has been covered somewhere, but... what's the story with this seemingly endless supply of file copies that keep turning up?". And then, along came this thread. Thanks for all the info!

I bought a lot of teen humor stuff off Heritage and all copies in the lot had a staple in the upper right portion of the front cover.  Some books still included the stapled attachment.  These lots were all low grade (brittle paper) but were kept pretty clean otherwise.  The attachment says "Harvey Publications".  Here's an example:

Wartime 16 (1).JPG

I have many of the earlier horror issues. I believe these to be un-sold warehouse copies not actual file copies. I have never seen any stamped although I believe I have a few early 1950's Mexican Tracys with either a file stamp or paper stapled attachment. I will have to look at them.

Back in the day a File Copy was just that: a book kept in the publisher's files and used for things like copyright, continuity checking etc. . File copies were often stamped as such and often were not in very good condition. Some had been gone through many times by artists and writers and sometimes notations were made. Over time for reasons that are a mystery to me, the term was expanded to include warehouse finds, which were just boxes of copies in the publisher's warehouse. Most of those Harvey's fall under that. Warehouse finds often have high grade covers but there can be lesser Page Quality like cream or worse.