• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ALL THINGS COMICS OR TRIM JOB CENTRAL?
1 1

196 posts in this topic

Seller needs to be called out for destroying these books, thanks for the alert. :frustrated:

Correct AND the new brand X grading company revealed their lack of integrity with that X-men 9.4 (we now know they are comparable to that 3rd other brand X grading company that slabs their own books)

thank god for CGC !!

Uh, no. doh!

Noobs :eyeroll:

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=24083835

Well you got me there with that one ,so... are you calling me out for defending CGC on their chatboards???

Seller needs to be called out for destroying these books, thanks for the alert. :frustrated:

Correct AND the new brand X grading company revealed their lack of integrity with that X-men 9.4 (we now know they are comparable to that 3rd other brand X grading company that slabs their own books)

thank god for CGC !!

Uh, no. doh!

Well you got me there with that one ,so... are you calling me out for defending CGC on their chatboards???

Not at all, but that´s not the point.

People, myself included, called you out for writing incorrect information.

Adding the pitch fork tone to it, just made you an easy target. :foryou:

You got off easy considering this is CG. There are a few dozen boardies biting their hands as we speak, trying to control themselves as to not write anything else.

It could go either way. If this was Friday and if the right circumstance arose, this would become a great entertainment thread with lots of strikes, poofed posts and ultimately lots of memes + a lock.

:D

Enlightening thread. Thanks for kicking it off. (thumbs u

Like others, I've seen these auctions for a while now.

Actually thought it was Dupcak with just another eBay handle. Didn't pay much attention and just moved along.

Now it's apparent. Danny D has Devotees.

Here's the GL GA#76 hack job with before and after images.

Did what I could to fix the perspective for comparison. Red lines with arrows represent sheared edges and the apparent material removed.

GL_GA-76_HACK-JOB.jpg

Excellent visual aid. Thanks! (thumbs u

I'm stealing this by the way. :grin:

I think you are getting pushback because all of these grading companies handle trimming the same way, with no penalty in grade. CGC is no shining star there; they would likely give it a 9.4 as well.

Bingo.

Personally, I don't agree with any of the companies giving an apparent grade that high on a book that has been trimmed. I'd like to see a max grade cap that a book can receive if it's been trimmed. It might help discourage the practice.

1950's comment was, IMO, ridiculous because he was challenging the integrity of one company while singing the praise of another when they both do exactly the same thing.

In fairness, they DID note all the trimming & gave it a restored grade. I don't know how much more they could do than that beyond refuse to grade it.

It's not like they gave it an unrestored grade when it's obviously been trimmed. and they can't tell what it looked like before the trimming to grade it as it had been. So, I'm not sure what else can be done on that. They graded what they could see & made sure it was clear both that it was restored & the extent of the restoration that they could identify.

And I don't think there's really an industry standard "X-point penalty for anything that's been trimmed" that we could apply. I'd be cool with creating that standard, but I don't think there is one.

Maybe trimmed books get graded on a 0-8.0 scale instead?

Uh...pay attention! :makepoint:

They are not grading what they see...they are ACTUALLY TRIMMING THE BOOKS THEMSELVES AND COLOR TOUCHING THE BOOKS (Amateurishly albeit) AND INFLATING THE GRADE THEY PURCHASED THE BOOK AT! rantrant

Actually thought it was Dupcak with just another eBay handle. Didn't pay much attention and just moved along.

Did what I could to fix the perspective for comparison. Red lines with arrows represent sheared edges and the apparent material removed.

GL_GA-76_HACK-JOB.jpg

Excellent visual aid. Thanks! (thumbs u

I'm stealing this by the way. :grin:

Agreed! Thanks for this MasterChief! (thumbs u

I must have missed where it was pointed out that CBCS was the one doing the trimming. Could you kindly point me to that post?

My mistake. Apologies. You were referring to CBCS...thought you were referring to all_things_comics.

Having said that, we don't know either CGC's or CBCS's exact standards for evaluating trimming in an overall Restored Grade. As some have stated, perhaps their should be a logical threshold/grade cap once the book is determined to be trimmed. I could debate this either way.

Even CGC's past use of the term "Apparent" Grade clouded what exactly the grade was...although I think they now no longer are using that term.

I must have missed where it was pointed out that CBCS was the one doing the trimming. Could you kindly point me to that post?

My mistake. Apologies. You were referring to CBCS...thought you were referring to all_things_comics.

Having said that, we don't know either CGC's or CBCS's exact standards for evaluating trimming in an overall Restored Grade. As some have stated, perhaps their should be a logical threshold/grade cap once the book is determined to be trimmed. I could debate this either way.

Even CGC's past use of the term "Apparent" Grade clouded what exactly the grade was...although I think they now no longer are using that term.

No problem. Too many pronouns without establishing the actual subject left my comment murky to begin with. Misunderstandings happen.

I'm in favor of grade capping trimmed books, but that might lead to more headaches & a lot of confusion for old books that have already gotten a 9.4 or a "greater than X-capped grade". I say 8.0 should be the max it can get & depending on how much trimming or how much of the book is trimmed off in inches, maybe even 6.0 cap, but that's a whole other discussion.

thank god for CGC !!

Uh, no. doh!

You got off easy considering this is CG. There are a few dozen boardies biting their hands as we speak, trying to control themselves as to not write anything else.

It could go either way. If this was Friday and if the right circumstance arose, this would become a great entertainment thread with lots of strikes, poofed posts and ultimately lots of memes + a lock.

1415576761108.gif

thank god for CGC !!

Uh, no. doh!

1415576761108.gif

Maybe got a bit carried away, 5 or 6 for sure. hm

There are a few dozen boardies biting their hands as we speak, trying to control themselves as to not write anything else.

1415576761108.gif

846.gif

-slym

I am biased for CGC, they are the single main reason I started collecting comics again after a 35 hiatus, in between I collected graded sportcards and have always collected graded coins,..CGC may not be perfect but I respect them, warts and all and am prepared to defend them,.. alone if necessary Friday thread or not. , against any and all who would side with either of the other two brand echh grading companies.

ANYONE who has a problem and is calling me out for my bias in defending CGC on this chatboard regardless if the circumstances needs to start spending more of their time on other comic chatboards or facebook where any anti-CGC viewpoints might be more appreciated.

I am biased for CGC, they are the single main reason I started collecting comics again after a 35 hiatus, in between I collected graded sportcards and have always collected graded coins,..CGC may not be perfect but I respect them, warts and all and am prepared to defend them,.. alone if necessary Friday thread or not. , against any and all who would side with either of the other two brand echh grading companies.

ANYONE who has a problem and is calling me out for my bias in defending CGC on this chatboard regardless if the circumstances needs to start spending more of their time on other comic chatboards or facebook where any anti-CGC viewpoints might be more appreciated.

During that 35 year hiatus color was invented, so everything is no longer black/white.

It's perfectly possible to both like, support and use both CGC and the new company. It's you who are creating "sides" and this after you were clearly shown your assumption regarding CGC and trimmed books was wrong.

It takes a big man to admit he messed up, clearly you are not that man.

GL_GA-76_HACK-JOB.jpg

Wow. I had no idea they were trimming so much off the comics. Takes it to a whole new level.

During that 35 year hiatus color was invented, so everything is no longer black/white.

It's perfectly possible to both like, support and use both CGC and the new company. It's you who are creating "sides" and this after you were clearly shown your assumption regarding CGC and trimmed books was wrong.

I think CGC is great , I have no dog in the hunt for them I just really like them, I don't like brand ecchh, defend them if you want, I will not, I could not imagine calling someone/anyone out who was biased FOR CGC on their own website wrongly or not, anymore than I can imagine someone going on a the Ford motor sponsored website and bashing someone on there who was criticizing Honda

Edited by 1950's war comics

I think CGC is great , I have no dog in the hunt for them I just really like them, I don't like brand ecchh, I could not imagine calling someone/anyone out who was biased FOR CGC on their own website wrongly or not, anymore than I can imagine someone going on a the Ford motor sponsored website and bashing someone who was criticizing Honda

I believe you're being called out for being ignorant, not for taking sides or being biased. (thumbs u

I think CGC is great , I have no dog in the hunt for them I just really like them, I don't like brand ecchh, defend them if you want, I will not, I could not imagine calling someone/anyone out who was biased FOR CGC on their own website wrongly or not, anymore than I can imagine someone going on a the Ford motor sponsored website and bashing someone on there who was criticizing Honda

Something is wrong with you.