• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ALL THINGS COMICS OR TRIM JOB CENTRAL?
1 1

196 posts in this topic

Let's not get this thread off point shall we? it's an XM #1 graded 9.4 that will, if I might say, legitimize the process. who knows what that book was pre-Franken?

watch the auction...realize that a lower grade book was trimmed and what ever else. and is now graded a NINE POINT FOUR! even with restoration.

and someone will buy with high hopes. not knowing what we know...

it's an insult to what we love about this pursuit.

Edited by FoomMember

Seriously...these guys put forth so many trim jobs I have to imagine they have their own trim-lab. Of course, they've been at it for years... :censored:

Wonder what the grade was pre-trimming...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/X-Men-1-Vol-1-Original-1963-CBCS-9-4-Like-CGC-Signed-Stan-Lee-Super-High-Grade-/251817419976?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3aa17ce4c8

I am appalled! Mr. Borock say it ain't so. (shrug)

What is amazing is how people give these guys good feedback. They sell the ruined books non stop. How do people decide to just go back? they loved restored books? A long time ago I sold them a Lot of Amazing Spiderman comics Silver age. Later on during that year I saw my books go up for sale restored nasty style with supposed higher grades... It really bothered me. They butchered perfectly fine 6.0 silver age spideys for money. The books didn't even sell for much? I don't get it.

Enlightening thread. Thanks for kicking it off. (thumbs u

Like others, I've seen these auctions for a while now.

Actually thought it was Dupcak with just another eBay handle. Didn't pay much attention and just moved along.

Now it's apparent. Danny D has Devotees.

Here's the GL GA#76 hack job with before and after images.

Did what I could to fix the perspective for comparison. Red lines with arrows represent sheared edges and the apparent material removed.

GL_GA-76_HACK-JOB.jpg

OK...here's another...just appalling these guys have 100% feedback...

We shall title this one "What is and What Should Never Be..."

Purchased from greg reece off Fleece Bay...

Winning Bidder

h***l ( 2366Feedback score is 1000 to 4,999) US $568.76

Nov-03-14 16:46:41 PST

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FANTASTIC-FOUR-3-CGC-APPARENT-7-5-OW-WH-PAGES-1ST-FANTASTIC-FOUR-COSTUMES-/321560122839?pt=US_Comic_Books&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&rt=nc&si=q5v%252F868EJvzn4kX4ByZc45qpZIs%253D&orig_cvip=true&hash=item4ade7a15d7&rmvSB=true

now...the transformed into ultra-ness...from 7.5 to 9.2...it's like magic! :cry:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fantastic-Four-3-Vol-1-Super-High-Grade-NM-9-2-1st-Time-Wearing-Costumes-Rare-/251714518141?pt=US_Comic_Books&_trksid=p2047675.l2557&nma=true&rt=nc&si=oXI6QtQ8tLVumex4PwuqInBrya0%253D&orig_cvip=true&hash=item3a9b5abc7d&rmvSB=true

Note the removed chip off right edge adjacent to Reed's shoulder and well into the Fantasti-Car... (tsk):censored:

BEFORE

FF3_zpsojc8lbwh.jpg

AFTER

FF3_zpskn7mb9zk.jpg

In this case for a mere $160 bucks profit...sheez...

:sumo::sumo::sumo::sumo::sumo:

Edited by trmoore54

Seriously uneducated buyers, that's how. These guys post these books knowing that all they need is one sucker and there's a sea of them. These boards host some of the most knowledge and honorable collectors and sellers around, and it is too bad the fish these jerks reel in have not made it here and likely never will. eBay is full of scum...

Grading companies shouldn't be handing out 9.4s to trimmed books, regardless of the label color. The book hasn't been restored, it's been doctored. They should treat all trimmed edges as if the missing edge had been chipped, torn, stained or otherwise damaged, so depending on the size of the trim, 7.0 would probably be about as good as it gets, and for a book like that X-Men #1 where it looks like at least an 1/8th of an inch was taken off all sides, a 5.0 at best. The GL is now an apparent 2.0.

I really like your thinking here. Wish the grading companies would do this.

They do mention the trimming in the description (not the title though).

Yes Chris. But unlike CGC or respectable sellers that just say trimmed...not which side, or sides, or all 3 sides which I think matters...especially the right side if they go so far as to remove dialogue/artwork as in the ASM 50.

Nice of ninjasealed to post an actual recent proof that they in fact are doing this trimming, or much of it themselves. ( :gossip: which we already knew...just perhaps not at what level. )

So here we have these miscreants in their Frankenbook Lab working over and destroying books day in and day out. Pretty pathetic but they're making a ton of dough and they could give a mess...

My thinking is if they trim a book slightly and the tell-tale signs are far less obvious they post the book without citing the trimming. The thinking goes that newbs and the uneducated buyers about the seller will think "oh, he posts when books are trimmed and therefore he didn't say so for this book so it must not be trimmed."

Can you say total person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed bags??

Certainly wasn't trying to defend them or their practice. I certainly wouldn't buy from them. Or sell to them intentionally.

Agree with everything you said. Especially the last line.

Seller needs to be called out for destroying these books, thanks for the alert. :frustrated:

Correct AND the new brand X grading company revealed their lack of integrity with that X-men 9.4 (we now know they are comparable to that 3rd other brand X grading company that slabs their own books)

thank god for CGC !!

Correct AND the new brand X grading company revealed their lack of integrity with that X-men 9.4 (we now know they are comparable to that 3rd other brand X grading company that slabs their own books)

thank god for CGC !!

What a ridiculous statement.

Seller needs to be called out for destroying these books, thanks for the alert. :frustrated:

thank god for CGC !!

Uh, no. doh!

thank god for CGC !!

Uh, no. doh!

Noobs :eyeroll:

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?ItemID=24083835

thank god for CGC !!

What a ridiculous statement.

sorry you disapprove of another viewpoint,.. are you defending the other company and the X-men 9.4 grade?

I have never considered buying a brand X slab from day

one . or the other brand X , you can if you want ..go ahead... maybe you like that trimmed X-men 9.4, I don't and I am ashamed at the high grade given for a trimmed comic and because of the grade given I will compare them to the other grading company that slabs and sells their own comics.

there are now three grading companies , two of them are "spoon" and the only one worth mentioning is the sponsor of these chatboards!

are you disagreeing?

thank god for CGC

I think you are getting pushback because all of these grading companies handle trimming the same way, with no penalty in grade. CGC is no shining star there; they would likely give it a 9.4 as well.

In fairness, they DID note all the trimming & gave it a restored grade. I don't know how much more they could do than that beyond refuse to grade it.

It's not like they gave it an unrestored grade when it's obviously been trimmed. and they can't tell what it looked like before the trimming to grade it as it had been. So, I'm not sure what else can be done on that. They graded what they could see & made sure it was clear both that it was restored & the extent of the restoration that they could identify.

And I don't think there's really an industry standard "X-point penalty for anything that's been trimmed" that we could apply. I'd be cool with creating that standard, but I don't think there is one.

Maybe trimmed books get graded on a 0-8.0 scale instead?

Edited by Doktor