• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicConnect Event Auction!

794 posts in this topic

Glad I picked up a Tec 31 before the CC auction started :banana: What I see, a few have mentioned already is that the mid to higher graded copies are getting priced out for most buyers now and that lower graded copies will generate the biggest demands. This book just skyrocketed tremendously every year the past 5 years with perhaps no signs of stopping. It's truly an iconic classic cover that most collectors like myself would want to have in their collection. I'm just fortunate to be back in the club. I've said almost every year after selling my set that I want to be back, but didn't want to overpay for a copy. Look now at what happened, I ended paying more for my copy where I could have had a higher graded copy 2-3 years ago. If one truly wants the book, just bite the bullet and pay the price (at least for GA keys). SA, BA, and so forth, you can probably sit on it and see what happens.

Glad I picked up a Tec 31 before the CC auction started :banana: What I see, a few have mentioned already is that the mid to higher graded copies are getting priced out for most buyers now and that lower graded copies will generate the biggest demands. This book just skyrocketed tremendously every year the past 5 years with perhaps no signs of stopping. It's truly an iconic classic cover that most collectors like myself would want to have in their collection. I'm just fortunate to be back in the club. I've said almost every year after selling my set that I want to be back, but didn't want to overpay for a copy. Look now at what happened, I ended paying more for my copy where I could have had a higher graded copy 2-3 years ago. If one truly wants the book, just bite the bullet and pay the price (at least for GA keys). SA, BA, and so forth, you can probably sit on it and see what happens.

And seeing where the 0.5 is now, I wish I would have pursued this copy harder, but I was in the process of acquiring my 2.5 so my focus was elsewhere. In retrospect, I would've been happy with 2 copies! Kudos to you though!

One of the best lessons I've learned over the years is to get away from the mentality of stopping myself from acquiring a book now because I paid so much less for a higher graded copy years ago. The market for these key books continues to move forward.

I love Schomburg and think he had many better covers than CA 1 (which you seem to be giving excessive weight to because its a first issue), so much so in fact, that I find it hard to choose one as really standing head and shoulders above the others.

I was thinking the same thing. I've never been a huge fan of Cap #1 cover, but then you don't need to because that book has so much going for it.

I've always been a huge fan of Cap #3 as possibly being the best Cap cover from the title. I am biased because I tend to lean towards Schomburg, I lean towards yellow covers, I lean towards 'ladies in glass tubes' as well as green dresses but you can make quite the argument about Cap #3.

Disclosure, I do own one. :cool:

Isn't Cap 1 by Simon, not Schomburg? hm

I suppose I was also giving short shrift to artistic merit. Ted 31, like most of the early DC covers, isn't the best of drawings. I think it does capture the dark and moody aspect of Batman in a way that no other GA cover does.

Cap 1 to me is iconic because it captures the exuberance of Captain America. Bursting in to bust Hitler in the chops -- nearly a year before America enters the war, no less!

It is. Did I imply otherwise? ???

sfcityduck said (in the post you quoted): "I love Schomburg and think he had many better covers than CA 1." But maybe he meant, "I love Schomburg and think he had many better [Cap] covers than [simon's] CA 1."

And seeing where the 0.5 is now, I wish I would have pursued this copy harder, but I was in the process of acquiring my 2.5 so my focus was elsewhere. In retrospect, I would've been happy with 2 copies! Kudos to you though!

One of the best lessons I've learned over the years is to get away from the mentality of stopping myself from acquiring a book now because I paid so much less for a higher graded copy years ago. The market for these key books continues to move forward.

Thanks! I'm glad I didn't get another bid because I believe I was one or two bids away from being outbidded lol

I wouldn't be surprised if that 0.5 copy sells for around $25k. Front cover has strong eye appeal regardless of it not having an original back cover. I'm curious to see how high the 4.5 will sell for though :popcorn:

It is. Did I imply otherwise? ???

sfcityduck said (in the post you quoted): "I love Schomburg and think he had many better covers than CA 1." But maybe he meant, "I love Schomburg and think he had many better [Cap] covers than [simon's] CA 1."

That's how I understood it. :foryou:

I'm as surprised as anyone by Tec 31 rocketing to infinity and beyond, but I got to thinking, is this the greatest GA cover?

I'm voting "yes" (although I can probably be talked out of it! :D )

Here are my criteria:

1. Importance of the character counts (for instance, MF 54 is a great cover and one of my favorites, but Spectre isn't a front rank hero). A lot of terrific covers are ruled out by this criterion.

2. No excessive weight to a first issue or first appearance (so Action 1 doesn't win just for being Action 1).

Not that aren't a lot of great candidates, but I would put Tec 31 first and CA 1 second. Tec 31 is striking, brilliantly captures the essence of the character, and, of course, features a key GA hero.

Thoughts?

I don't agree with your criteria. The greatest GA cover is the greatest GA cover, regardless of the popularity of the title character.

Sounds like you're looking for the greatest GA cover of an important character. Those are two different things.

Thanks! I'm glad I didn't get another bid because I believe I was one or two bids away from being outbidded lol

I wouldn't be surprised if that 0.5 copy sells for around $25k. Front cover has strong eye appeal regardless of it not having an original back cover. I'm curious to see how high the 4.5 will sell for though :popcorn:

the classic covers and GA keys will continue to increase in value as demand is relentless and supply is so few. Biting the bullet now and holding will realize in time the price paid was perhaps silly at the time, but worth it long term.

I'm as surprised as anyone by Tec 31 rocketing to infinity and beyond, but I got to thinking, is this the greatest GA cover?

Here are my criteria:

1. Importance of the character counts (for instance, MF 54 is a great cover and one of my favorites, but Spectre isn't a front rank hero). A lot of terrific covers are ruled out by this criterion.

2. No excessive weight to a first issue or first appearance (so Action 1 doesn't win just for being Action 1).

Not that aren't a lot of great candidates, but I would put Tec 31 first and CA 1 second. Tec 31 is striking, brilliantly captures the essence of the character, and, of course, features a key GA hero.

Thoughts?

I don't agree with your criteria. The greatest GA cover is the greatest GA cover, regardless of the popularity of the title character.

Sounds like you're looking for the greatest GA cover of an important character. Those are two different things.

True, but the importance of the character is relevant, I think, in the context of explaining what's happened to prices of Tec 31.

Do you have a nomination for greatest GA cover (irrespective of the hero portrayed)? hm

the classic covers and GA keys will continue to increase in value as demand is relentless and supply is so few. Biting the bullet now and holding will realize in time the price paid was perhaps silly at the time, but worth it long term.

Maybe, but since this is clearly the majority view, I guess I will put on again my Debbie Downer hat: It's always dangerous to assume that prices can go in only one direction.

Maybe, but since this is clearly the majority view, I guess I will put on again my Debbie Downer hat: It's always dangerous to assume that prices can go in only one direction.

sure, nothing's guaranteed but we can only look at history of the marketplace which suggests an upward swing. Price resistance and downward cycles are bound to possibly happen

Here are my criteria:

Thoughts?

True, but the importance of the character is relevant, I think, in the context of explaining what's happened to prices of Tec 31.

Do you have a nomination for greatest GA cover (irrespective of the hero portrayed)? hm

Tec 31, Suspense 3, and All Select 1 come to mind with respect to character, subject matter, or artist.

Bidding on the 4.5 is starting to heat up...
after sitting at just under 40 for days, it went from $39k to $60k in a flash

Yup. 40.5k to 60k between last f5 and the next.

sure, nothing's guaranteed but we can only look at history of the marketplace which suggests an upward swing. Price resistance and downward cycles are bound to possibly happen

And prior to 2006, there was decades of evidence that U.S. housing prices never decline by more than 20%. This isn't the place to rehash the endless debate over comics as an investment. I just feel the urge to occasionally throw up a caution sign in the face of the (seeming) consensus that GA keys can only go up over the long run.

And prior to 2006, there was decades of evidence that U.S. housing prices never decline by more than 20%. This isn't the place to rehash the endless debate over comics as an investment. I just feel the urge to occasionally throw up a caution sign in the face of the (seeming) consensus that GA keys can only go up over the long run.

good point Tony. Fire sale! lol

Bidding on the 4.5 is starting to heat up...
after sitting at just under 40 for days, it went from $39k to $60k in a flash

I think bidders saw what was happening on the 0.5 and it gave them confidence to start bidding higher on the 4.5.

Most buyers wait for the market to indicate what price that they should pay. But often times by that point, the market has passed them.

Educated buyers who have confidence in where they think the market is going spend accordingly.