• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicConnect Event Auction!

794 posts in this topic

Wouldn't it be cool if their auctions were six months long? Especially if you could bid and retract at random! Imagine the fun in speculating whether an item was going to go up or down over a six month period. The threads, the gnashing of teeth, the price corrections, long term punishment bidding, punishment retracting, bid timing up and down perfected to an art. Snipe bid retracting downward on a book that was hot five months ago and now is exposed as overblown hype after fifty new copies hit the census. Some random issue of a title gets super hot after a movie announcement in the fourth month of the listing and by auction's end is selling for thousands of times initial expectation. Mitch would have a field-day playing both sides of the "what do you think that book will end at?" discussions. "This auction will break all records for highs and lows with the most and least views and the best and worst assortment ever!"

lol

Bedrock City Auctions here we come! I always knew you are a genius!

Now it's begun but I'm looking at three more weeks of waiting... and in the interim, a pretty similar copy of the same book has been listed as a BIN on ebay.

So while waiting and killing time I've found I have options I didn't have a week ago. I'll still throw in a bid on CC, but it likely won't be as high as it would have been.

Too late, I'm buying it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Superman-6-Cgc-Graded-5-/141602335729?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20f8282bf1

:eek: All yours!

An impulse is buying a pack of gum in the check out line when you went to the store for a loaf of bread. If I'm bidding on a Flash Comics I need for my run, I'm not impulsively going to bid on a Planet Comics item.

Whom amongst cc target market doesn't have a persistent anxiety to fulfill a collecting need (obsession)? That anxiety is acted upon be a repetitive behavior of going to the cc website continuesly for three weeks to see the status of their bids\watch list (compulsion).

I understand your point, but there are very few people who are only chasing a narrow focus. Most of us like multiple things, titles, issues, covers, whatever.

So you have your eye focused on a Flash #10 that might in your price range but then you see a classic horror cover somewhere else that you also need to have and so now you're distracted. Or another copy of Flash #10, or whatever.

This sounds like me. There's a toughish GA book in the CC auction I've wanted for a while, and I waited what seemed like ages for the auction to even begin. Now it's begun but I'm looking at three more weeks of waiting... and in the interim, a pretty similar copy of the same book has been listed as a BIN on ebay.

So while waiting and killing time I've found I have options I didn't have a week ago. I'll still throw in a bid on CC, but it likely won't be as high as it would have been.

I think many people are like that. Time is the ultimate nullifier (see how I did that little comic book thing? ;) ) and many, if not most people generally want more than they can afford so I think it's human nature to lose interest in something if another new object comes along. Obviously not everyone is but it's my experience that many are.

most people generally want more than they can afford .
There should be a 12 step program for this :hi: My name is Chris

Hi Chris, my name is Dr Carl. Please, tell me more about your mother.

Shes in a nursing home suffering with Parkinson's.

:(

Someone please jog my memory on CC's bidding process. Suppose I place a max bid of $2 million on the Action 5.0, which raises the high bid to $500,000. Then with 1 second to go, Gator snipes a bid of $1.5 million.

Is the result:

a. the clock resets to three minutes to go because there has been another bid,

or

b. because the new bid doesn't raise the high bid, the clock doesn't reset and the auction is over?

hm

That was a mood killer :sorry:

Someone please jog my memory on CC's bidding process. Suppose I place a max bid of $2 million on the Action 5.0, which raises the high bid to $500,000. Then with 1 second to go, Gator snipes a bid of $1.5 million.

Is the result:

or

b. because the new bid doesn't raise the high bid, the clock doesn't reset and the auction is over?

hm

I would think the clock would reset to three minutes at the increment above Gator's bid(since your high bid was 2M).

Is the result:

or

hm

I would think the clock would reset to three minutes at the increment above Gator's bid(since your high bid was 2M).

correct

Is the result:

or

hm

correct

That's the exact bid I had in mind - but now I've changed it.

Is the result:

or

hm

correct

That's too bad. I really dislike the CC system because it means that you can be juggling developments on several books at the same time. I prefer either CLInk, with a set ending time, or HA, with a true auction.

I was hoping a high preemptive bid might be a way around the system, but I guess not.

Is the result:

or

hm

correct

That's the exact bid I had in mind - but now I've changed it.

When I win it, I'll flip it to you for that. :baiting:

Is the result:

or

hm

correct

That's too bad. I really dislike the CC system because it means that you can be juggling developments on several books at the same time. I prefer either CLInk, with a set ending time, or HA, with a true auction.

I was hoping a high preemptive bid might be a way around the system, but I guess not.

dislikers gonna dislike.

Is the result:

or

hm

correct

dislikers gonna dislike.

lol

Is the result:

or

hm

correct

dislikers gonna dislike.

I had someone specific in mind in worrying about getting caught in an endless clock-reset bidding war. :baiting: