• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicConnect Event Auction!

794 posts in this topic

Stephen Fishler agrees with you - at least he did in 1986 when he and I first discussed which were the most important ashcans. Flash/Thrill ashcans are very cool and certainly historically important, but because they were created by Fawcett they haven't attained the stature of the top DC ashcans (Action Comics, Action Funnies, Double Action, Superman, Wonder Woman, All Star, Superboy, Superwoman, Supergirl, and Flash). These characters and titles form the foundation for the hobby we love as well as the billions of dollars of commerce they've generated over the past 75 years.

The Lone Ranger ashcan just sold for $7,500 or so last week. I can argue that the Lone Ranger is as important (more important?) within our popular culture as Captain Marvel. Yet his first appearance ever in print brings less than $10,000?

We all love these wonderful characters and books, but out-of-sight/out-of-mind often is the determining factor when considering value. Your MF 73 is a perfect example. Aquaman and Green Arrow were always second-tier characters, but now with all the movie hype, a new generation of fans will be introduced to them on the big screen (at the theatre and in their homes) and will embrace them as their own. You will benefit handsomely because of this new found interest.

Just assuming something will be valuable (based on whatever criteria one comes up with) won't necessarily make it happen.

And congrats on owning that MF 73. I've always loved that book!

Oh thanks Moondog. Gator and I were just talking about you lol. Question for you....I agree that those other ashcans come from stronger overall companies and stuff than Fawcett....but those ashcans are significant for starting the titles, correct? None of them have the actual characters in it, right? At least not new material that hadn't been printed yet. No new characters or first appearances, correct? Maybe I hold that in too much regard, as that happens to be my preference for collecting. But there you have it - that's my reasoning. Is there anything in particular about any of those ashcans that stands-out in your opinion?

The Lone Ranger had appeared before in other media, right?

By the way, I'm not overly new to the hobby lol. I sold all my coins and sports-cards and switched to comics somewhere around the year 2000.

Your argument is sound and the same one that Fishler made 30 years ago. It is cool that Whiz 1 is actually an ashcan. But I could argue that a Captain Marvel ashcan is cooler than a Whiz ashcan, just as I believe the Superman ashcan is superior to Action and Wonder Woman is more significant than Sensation. Is it the anthology title or the character's own book that's more important? I believe in the area of ashcans it's the character's book, you may feel differently, but that's what makes eating sushi, drinking wine and talking comics so enjoyable!

The $27,000 sale is a strong price. It's now the floor for this book. If it ever changes hands again (these things are so rare they seldomly come to market) in the next few years, and Captain Marvel does well on screen, I wouldn't be surprised if it sold for $35-40K.

The Lone Ranger first appeared (was heard?) as a radio show in 1933. The LR ashcan protected an upcoming pulp title in 1936. It's his first appearance in print and as such very significant.

I love all the ashcan and early comic history information. I still say that the Flash ashcan is undervalued and the buyer got a great deal. No reason why that comic can't explode in value. I think it should be worth more than Whiz #2. Just my personal taste and opinion.

All ashcans are undervalued, BM. They have an enormous upside potential. But it will be difficult for this potential to be realized because they're so darned rare. It's happening though. Little by little.

You could say that anything that is rare & isn't worth much has more upside than downside, but that doesn't mean that item actually will go up in value. I've known about ashcans for about 30 years (since not too long after I started collecting) because even back then the story behind the Fawcett ashcans & was discussed in Overstreet. I think of ashcans as curios: they're interesting but for me not particularly desirable.

What a coincidence - I feel exactly the same way about comics I have no interest in either! :eyeroll:

Stephen Fishler agrees with you - at least he did in 1986 when he and I first discussed which were the most important ashcans. Flash/Thrill ashcans are very cool and certainly historically important, but because they were created by Fawcett they haven't attained the stature of the top DC ashcans (Action Comics, Action Funnies, Double Action, Superman, Wonder Woman, All Star, Superboy, Superwoman, Supergirl, and Flash). These characters and titles form the foundation for the hobby we love as well as the billions of dollars of commerce they've generated over the past 75 years.

The Lone Ranger ashcan just sold for $7,500 or so last week. I can argue that the Lone Ranger is as important (more important?) within our popular culture as Captain Marvel. Yet his first appearance ever in print brings less than $10,000?

We all love these wonderful characters and books, but out-of-sight/out-of-mind often is the determining factor when considering value. Your MF 73 is a perfect example. Aquaman and Green Arrow were always second-tier characters, but now with all the movie hype, a new generation of fans will be introduced to them on the big screen (at the theatre and in their homes) and will embrace them as their own. You will benefit handsomely because of this new found interest.

Just assuming something will be valuable (based on whatever criteria one comes up with) won't necessarily make it happen.

Oh thanks Moondog. Gator and I were just talking about you lol. Question for you....I agree that those other ashcans come from stronger overall companies and stuff than Fawcett....but those ashcans are significant for starting the titles, correct? None of them have the actual characters in it, right? At least not new material that hadn't been printed yet. No new characters or first appearances, correct? Maybe I hold that in too much regard, as that happens to be my preference for collecting. But there you have it - that's my reasoning. Is there anything in particular about any of those ashcans that stands-out in your opinion?

By the way, I'm not overly new to the hobby lol. I sold all my coins and sports-cards and switched to comics somewhere around the year 2000.

Your argument is sound and the same one that Fishler made 30 years ago. It is cool that Whiz 1 is actually an ashcan. But I could argue that a Captain Marvel ashcan is cooler than a Whiz ashcan, just as I believe the Superman ashcan is superior to Action and Wonder Woman is more significant than Sensation. Is it the anthology title or the character's own book that's more important? I believe in the area of ashcans it's the character's book, you may feel differently, but that's what makes eating sushi, drinking wine and talking comics so enjoyable!

The $27,000 sale is a strong price. It's now the floor for this book. If it ever changes hands again (these things are so rare they seldomly come to market) in the next few years, and Captain Marvel does well on screen, I wouldn't be surprised if it sold for $35-40K.

The Lone Ranger first appeared (was heard?) as a radio show in 1933. The LR ashcan protected an upcoming pulp title in 1936. It's his first appearance in print and as such very significant.

I love all the ashcan and early comic history information. I still say that the Flash ashcan is undervalued and the buyer got a great deal. No reason why that comic can't explode in value. I think it should be worth more than Whiz #2. Just my personal taste and opinion.

All ashcans are undervalued, BM. They have an enormous upside potential. But it will be difficult for this potential to be realized because they're so darned rare. It's happening though. Little by little.

You could say that anything that is rare & isn't worth much has more upside than downside, but that doesn't mean that item actually will go up in value. I've known about ashcans for about 30 years (since not too long after I started collecting) because even back then the story behind the Fawcett ashcans & was discussed in Overstreet. I think of ashcans as curios: they're interesting but for me not particularly desirable.

What a coincidence - I feel exactly the same way about comics I have no interest in either! :eyeroll:

There are many comics I have no interest in yet still recognize as being safe investment candidates (for those who are in the hobby as investors). Ashcans have always generated limited interest compared to key comic books, and I haven't seen anything that would make me think that is changing. Some ashcans may increase in value, but they will always be fraught with risk because they will never be as liquid as key comics.

There are many comics I have no interest in yet still recognize as being safe investment candidates (for those who are in the hobby as investors). Ashcans have always generated limited interest compared to key comic books, and I haven't seen anything that would make me think that is changing. Some ashcans may increase in value, but they will always be fraught with risk because they will never be as liquid as key comics.

I know you feel it's unfair to say you come off as wanting to suppress the value of these items, but when starting with a term like "safe investment" and then saying these items are "always" less valuable and they will "never" be as liquid make it hard not to see an agenda to make that the case, rather than simply reporting what you see

What if the keys that will "always" be more liquid show up in numbers that exceed the demand? What if just some of the collectors say they're more interested in something that preceded those key issues and/or something which they can feel more confident in regard to its rarity?

All it takes is a handful of people to say the "first in print" ashcan is something they prefer, and the supply falls far short of demand

That said, I do believe that published keys will always be sought after by more people, and I do believe it's easy to get caught up in equating the value of some ashcan like motion picture funnies just because it's an ashcan

But that's what some people do, they fixate on a niche in the hobby and try to have the best collection of it; (and dealers have traditionally been one of the biggest factors pointing collectors in that direction)

So, yeah, I can see a scenario in which a guy accumulates a bunch of ashcans of culturally insignificant titles and is then surprised that a guy who has the Superman ashcan isn't interested in buying the insigificant ashcans from him

I know you feel it's unfair to say you come off as wanting to suppress the value of these items, but when starting with a term like "safe investment" and then saying these items are "always" less valuable and they will "never" be as liquid make it hard not to see an agenda to make that the case, rather than simply reporting what you see

What if the keys that will "always" be more liquid show up in numbers that exceed the demand? What if just some of the collectors say they're more interested in something that preceded those key issues and/or something which they can feel more confident in regard to its rarity?

All it takes is a handful of people to say the "first in print" ashcan is something they prefer, and the supply falls far short of demand

That said, I do believe that published keys will always be sought after by more people, and I do believe it's easy to get caught up in equating the value of some ashcan like motion picture funnies just because it's an ashcan

But that's what some people do, they fixate on a niche in the hobby and try to have the best collection of it; (and dealers have traditionally been one of the biggest factors pointing collectors in that direction)

So, yeah, I can see a scenario in which a guy accumulates a bunch of ashcans of culturally insignificant titles and is then surprised that a guy who has the Superman ashcan isn't interested in buying the insigificant ashcans from him

Since I was the first guy to have access to, and purchase, the DC ashcans I became their biggest fan. It's been nearly 30 years since they surfaced. I've written major articles about them (CBM 71 cover feature 9/99 and Overstreet 38) and finally got them listed in Overstreet about ten years ago. Wizard asked me to display the Action, Superman, Superwoman, Superboy and Supergirl at the 2012 Chicago con. Everyone who sees them just gushes over them. It's a blast and I love doing it.

During this time new collectors have embraced them and then sold them; established collectors have added a few to their holdings too. They've found their place in the collecting world.

Now that I'm retired I've slowly been selling my collection. The prices have been surprisingly strong for some items and head-scratching low on others. When you think about that, that makes sense. As Blue Chip says, not everyone wants everything.

Ashcans are rare, historically important pop culture relics. This fact itself makes them very attractive to many collectors. And though the keys are very valuable I can't imagine that they would be worth what the corresponding newsstand issues bring. Five figures certainly and 6 figures for some, but not the big money that we've seen from Action 1, Supeman 1, etc.

Since I was the first guy to have access to, and purchase, the DC ashcans I became their biggest fan. It's been nearly 30 years since they surfaced. I've written major articles about them (CBM 71 cover feature 9/99 and Overstreet 38) and finally got them listed in Overstreet about ten years ago. Wizard asked me to display the Action, Superman, Superwoman, Superboy and Supergirl at the 2012 Chicago con. Everyone who sees them just gushes over them. It's a blast and I love doing it.

During this time new collectors have embraced them and then sold them; established collectors have added a few to their holdings too. They've found their place in the collecting world.

Now that I'm retired I've slowly been selling my collection. The prices have been surprisingly strong for some items and head-scratching low on others. When you think about that, that makes sense. As Blue Chip says, not everyone wants everything.

Ashcans are rare, historically important pop culture relics. This fact itself makes them very attractive to many collectors. And though the keys are very valuable I can't imagine that they would be worth what the corresponding newsstand issues bring. Five figures certainly and 6 figures for some, but not the big money that we've seen from Action 1, Supeman 1, etc.

quoted for those who love to scroll (thumbs u

ooohhh scrolling along!'

ooohhh scrolling along!'

This thread suffers from scrolleosis! Someone needs to start another'un. :insane:

ooohhh scrolling along!'

This thread suffers from scrolleosis! Someone needs to start another'un. :insane:

...if we keep scrolling, will we eventually fall off the edge of the internet (shrug) GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Mark....good info on the Lone Star Ranger.

Bluechip....very good comment. Very true. And yeah I don't like to compare comics and say anything that could be interpreted as devaluing a specific comic. I'm very careful about that. But it was extenuating circumstances, as I've never sold a comic before that I had absolutely no idea what the price would be. They should cut-me-some-slack though, since I previously raised Whiz 2 values lol. Anyway....I stand by everything I said though. Like what happened to you....if I listened to advice about what was going-to-be valuable and what wasn't, I'd have missed-out on my best investments. I like to collect what I THINK SHOULD be valuable....and then let the chips fall where they may. It's more fun that way too.

Moondog....classic comment about collecting what you like....and what you don't like just seems like curiosities. That's exactly how I feel. :D

Mark....good info on the Lone Star Ranger.

Bluechip....very good comment. Very true. And yeah I don't like to compare comics and say anything that could be interpreted as devaluing a specific comic. I'm very careful about that. But it was extenuating circumstances, as I've never sold a comic before that I had absolutely no idea what the price would be. They should cut-me-some-slack though, since I previously raised Whiz 2 values lol. Anyway....I stand by everything I said though. Like what happened to you....if I listened to advice about what was going-to-be valuable and what wasn't, I'd have missed-out on my best investments. I like to collect what I THINK SHOULD be valuable....and then let the chips fall where they may. It's more fun that way too.

Moondog....classic comment about collecting what you like....and what you don't like just seems like curiosities. That's exactly how I feel. :D

I have some early lone ranger items which have not increased in value over many years, partly because the character's popularity has waned, and partly, I think, because he first appeared on radio, so any appearance in print is an exploitation in secondary media/

As for Whiz 2 I think the whole Captain Marvel series could be worth more if the character could get revived. It was good writing, fantasy and comedy more than anything else. And I could see a decent modernized film or TV treatment succeeding if it captured the same feeling.

that's what makes eating sushi, drinking wine and talking comics so enjoyable!

(thumbs u

When is next outing, Ange?

Right after C2E2, between April 27 - May 1

I need sushi! (thumbs u