• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicConnect Event Auction!

794 posts in this topic

I could care less if a book has tear seals, ct, or anything that may enhance it's appearance as long as the stories and art stay true to the intended vision of what was originally put out. I will gladly buy a copy of something I know is out of my budget restored because I want to Read it! Their is readers, investors, and a mix of the two and I like to stay a reader because it's just makes me enjoy the hobby without the business side.

A man after my own heart...High Five, bro!

This monkey business about different slabbing companies, different colored labels, investors, etc., I look at as being in another universe.

I personally buy comic books to read 'em, just as I did off the news-stand starting about 1952. Only difference is that now they go into plastic bags with backing boards, and I don't have to hide the lurid ones.

There's room for different perspectives in our hobby. Speculators buy books on the margins (GA, SA, BA & modern) for a quick turn around. They're either in the crack-out, bump and resubmit crowd or media mavens tuned into movie & TV franchises. Investors tend to collect with longer goals in mind, but they focus on titles with more growth potential. The one thing speculators and investors have in common is that they keep one eye focused on the markets. High grade collectors may be neither, or both. All are hobbyists, knowledgeable and often passionate about collecting, but most have determined that reading fragile comics aren't as important to them as preservation for future generations to appreciate. Bottom line: If you don't sweat the monkey shines the business side of things will usually be sorted out over time. My 2c (currency adjusted for inflated jibberish typed late at night on my IPad)

I sorta doubt that speculators and investors are all hobbyists, any more than in any other collectible field.

Unfortunately their presence skewers the prices upward, just as the occurrence of slabbing does, so true collectors get blindsided two ways, but expounding on that is soap-box stuff, and wouldn't change anything anyways.

OK, so you imply that reading "fragile" comic books is less important than preserving them for future generations? IIRC, there was a discussion recently about whether future generations would even be interested in GA era comic books. By your reasoning, nothing that was manufactured during the middle of the last century should be used, less God-forbid it would be used UP... :o

But I appreciate your pointing out the different avenues this hobby now offers, as compared to only 40 years ago, when I could buy PCH books, no slabs/bags/boards, for a few bucks each, to read.

I could care less if a book has tear seals, ct, or anything that may enhance it's appearance as long as the stories and art stay true to the intended vision of what was originally put out. I will gladly buy a copy of something I know is out of my budget restored because I want to Read it! Their is readers, investors, and a mix of the two and I like to stay a reader because it's just makes me enjoy the hobby without the business side.

This monkey business about different slabbing companies, different colored labels, investors, etc., I look at as being in another universe.

I personally buy comic books to read 'em, just as I did off the news-stand starting about 1952. Only difference is that now they go into plastic bags with backing boards, and I don't have to hide the lurid ones.

Amen brother! Hide 'em, hell I Display them with pride. I have to admit, I do have a dozen or so slabbed books. These are mostly books I want for the cover only anyway. I understand and respect the need for this but since I am a bottom feeder it isn't a big issue for me anyway.

Just last week I bought a book slabbed by that "new" company of a book I already had a reader of. Kinda wanted to see how their grades compared with CGC. I have to say, just looking at one side and flipping it over to the back side is a very unfulfilling experience. A 2 minute experience and I'm on to something else...

I agree with this but I also like slabbing a lot for when it comes time to display and sell, because then you don't have to argue as much about the grade and you don't have to worry about someone damaging it.

If people stop obsessing over label colors, it will be a good thing.

But it will also be a good thing if people stop obsessing over the notion that a book should never be slabbed because then you can't read it.

Of course you can.

You can take it out.

Buyers who are anti-slab purists should think of it more like the packaging of a consumer item. It's there to assure you that it's as described on the box. But once you've bought it, you can take it home, unwrap it and enjoy it.

Eventually, when it comes time for you and/or your ancestors to sell, you can slab it again. because you want those buyers to know how well you've taken care of it in the meantime. Think of reslabbing as similar to getting the home inspection before the sale.

Unfortunately however, the purchase of a slabbed book will usually entail a higher cost than the same in raw condition. Yes, I know you can argue that the slabbing more or less guarantees the grade, but frankly after having dealt with pre-internet mail order, and then eBay sellers, one develops an insight as to the range he can expect the book to actually arrive at, so the slabbing is an extraordinary expense.

And you say that the book can be replaced in the slab upon sale time? I thought that once the slab was opened, the book would have to be re-sent back, along with the slab, so the grade would be re-certified, since the book would have been handled after the initial grading?

Let me ask again, why are people clambering to do away with purple labels and not yellow as well? Couldn't you nitro the label about a certified signature?

I'd be totally OK with yellow labels going away, especially if CGC switched and provided a real authentification service.

Like Robot Man Bob said, CBCS authentification could be a game changer for those with collectible autographs from comic artists and celebrities acquired before CGC's signature series was offered. The question should be why isn't CGC providing a similar service, label color notwithstanding.

And you say that the book can be replaced in the slab upon sale time? I thought that once the slab was opened, the book would have to be re-sent back, along with the slab, so the grade would be re-certified, since the book would have been handled after the initial grading?

Absolutely, I do it all the time. Just tape up the sides with a little packing tape. If I disagree with the original CGC grade, I write over it with a magic marker. Never had any buyers complain about it.

Absolutely, I do it all the time. Just tape up the sides with a little packing tape. If I disagree with the original CGC grade, I write over it with a magic marker. Never had any buyers complain about it.

Just don't use a purple marker.

There's room for different perspectives in our hobby. Speculators buy books on the margins (GA, SA, BA & modern) for a quick turn around. They're either in the crack-out, bump and resubmit crowd or media mavens tuned into movie & TV franchises. Investors tend to collect with longer goals in mind, but they focus on titles with more growth potential. The one thing speculators and investors have in common is that they keep one eye focused on the markets. High grade collectors may be neither, or both. All are hobbyists, knowledgeable and often passionate about collecting, but most have determined that reading fragile comics aren't as important to them as preservation for future generations to appreciate. Bottom line: If you don't sweat the monkey shines the business side of things will usually be sorted out over time. My 2c (currency adjusted for inflated jibberish typed late at night on my IPad)

I sorta doubt that speculators and investors are all hobbyists, any more than in any other collectible field.

Unfortunately their presence skewers the prices upward, just as the occurrence of slabbing does, so true collectors get blindsided two ways, but expounding on that is soap-box stuff, and wouldn't change anything anyways.

OK, so you imply that reading "fragile" comic books is less important than preserving them for future generations? IIRC, there was a discussion recently about whether future generations would even be interested in GA era comic books. By your reasoning, nothing that was manufactured during the middle of the last century should be used, less God-forbid it would be used UP... :o

But I appreciate your pointing out the different avenues this hobby now offers, as compared to only 40 years ago, when I could buy PCH books, no slabs/bags/boards, for a few bucks each, to read.

My use of the word "All" was a misstatement, I really meant "many", but didn't catch it when editing. doh!

I firmly believe that our unique hobby will survive beyond us, but I'm also convinced that reasonable levels of conservation is required in order for that to occur. My focus is on high grades, but that doesn't mean mid-grade books shouldn't be slabbed and maintained in that condition. Limiting the handling of fragile comics is recommended in higher grades. There are many other sources for appreciating the interior art and stories. Of course there is no substitute for the nostalgic aroma and feel of pulp paper, but substitution via archives and downloads is a reasonable trade-off given the alternatives. Besides, there are still plenty of low grade raw books around for those who desire handling.

Actually I was talking about getting it reslabbed for the sale, which would mean regraded. So it should say replaced in A slab.

Sorry for a sort off topic question, but what do you all do with signatures/sketches that were done before CGC? Suck it up and just get the Green Label?

Suck it up, look at them and enjoy the memory of hopefully meeting the person who signed it! I couldn't even imagine giving one of my treasured books to a stranger for them to get it signed and entoumbed and PAY to do it! What happened to the fun in this hobby?

Signed by Stan, so I think per their system it gets yellow whether resto'd or not?

I think it's a quality control error and the label is missing the purple stripe. The notes in capital letters suggests it was meant for a yellow/purple label.

I think it's a quality control error and the label is missing the purple stripe. The notes in capital letters suggests it was meant for a yellow/purple label.

I guess it's too much to hope that they finally did a head-smack and said "wait, how can something be restored when it's the lowest possible grade?"

I guess it's too much to hope that they finally did a head-smack and said "wait, how can something be restored when it's the lowest possible grade?"

^^

Signed by Stan, so I think per their system it gets yellow whether resto'd or not?

It used to or still has a purple stripe at the top.

Not sure if they have gone away with the purple stripe (which would be like voldemort) or has shown qc skills at its finest yet again