• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ComicConnect Event Auction!

794 posts in this topic

I could care less if a book has tear seals, ct, or anything that may enhance it's appearance as long as the stories and art stay true to the intended vision of what was originally put out. I will gladly buy a copy of something I know is out of my budget restored because I want to Read it! Their is readers, investors, and a mix of the two and I like to stay a reader because it's just makes me enjoy the hobby without the business side.

A man after my own heart...High Five, bro!

This monkey business about different slabbing companies, different colored labels, investors, etc., I look at as being in another universe.

I personally buy comic books to read 'em, just as I did off the news-stand starting about 1952. Only difference is that now they go into plastic bags with backing boards, and I don't have to hide the lurid ones.

Amen brother! Hide 'em, hell I Display them with pride. I have to admit, I do have a dozen or so slabbed books. These are mostly books I want for the cover only anyway. I understand and respect the need for this but since I am a bottom feeder it isn't a big issue for me anyway.

Just last week I bought a book slabbed by that "new" company of a book I already had a reader of. Kinda wanted to see how their grades compared with CGC. I have to say, just looking at one side and flipping it over to the back side is a very unfulfilling experience. A 2 minute experience and I'm on to something else...

Most of the restored books that I've purchased were for deslabbing and reading. I always kept the label with the book and ironically never lost money on one if I needed to sell.... and I always disclose. I must admit, I enjoyed the more ignorant "scarlet letter" days when you could get a book with slight color touch or just a cover cleaning for 20% of FMV....... but I always felt I was taking advantage of whoever the seller was. My first resto book ever was a Batman 11 done by Matt Nelson..... it came with a detailed list of what was done and before/after pictures.....without the pictures it would have been difficult to even find the work, that's how good it was. Until that time, I had also shunned those type of books.....until I actually saw one. A lot of the people who whine and cry about restored books have never even seen one outside of a slab. Perhaps I would approach the issue differently if investment was my main priority, so It's best that I don't judge. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I have failed to understand why anyone in any of these groups is bothered by the visually identifiable labels CGC has always used.

I think those opposed to the PLOD have a legitimate argument. Restored books have been lumped together and given the scarlet letter; the very name "Purple Label of Death" is a pretty dramatic demonstration of that. There was surprisingly little variation in realized sales of slight vs. moderate vs. extensive. You basically had PLODS as a group selling for 75-80% of their blue-label counterparts. People didn't see level of resto, they just saw PLOD.

With a single label color for all books, the scarlet letter goes away, and this was demonstrated with last weeks CC auction, where we saw some CBCS restored books selling better than expected with the blue label rather than the PLOD. Of course, if you're against the single label color system, then those results must be because bidders thought they were bidding on unrestored books, or the auction house was doing something "sketchy".

I think we should at least consider the possibility that they achieved a higher hammer price because they weren't lumped into a category entitled Purple Label of Death.

I agree with this 100%.. new people coming into the collecting world are told to stay away from PLOD books. I consider myself a "new" collector and I feel that way. And the chances of me purchasing a CBCS restored book are way higher just because of the labelling. And it's not the resto that I mind it just that a PLOD book looks damn ugly sitting in a collection of blue labels.

And the system should have never been about labels. It's about the book which I think CBCS helps people focus on rather the the label... My 2 cents

Buyers might also have been thinking that, if there are ways to sell restored books with descriptive lablels instead of a stigma label that it might impact the value of restored books going forward. In a similar way that people invest in a title upon hearing of a movie in development, they gamble that it may increase in value. It's natural. And it's an axiom of investing that it's generally good to buy things that have been irrationally ignored.

No doubt there will be some individual examples of people betting that the gap will close more that it actually closes, and pay too much. But the typical gap between them has been so wide that it's been nonsensical to the point that it's been an embarrassing aspect of the hobby

And no one has even attempted to explain or rationalize the logic behind why CBCS, of all the label colours they could have used, chose to parrot what CGC has been doing for 15 years for only original books, and blur restored and unrestored books under one blue label. Sketchy business.

-J.

So, on the one hand, CBCS is sketchy for mirroring the label color that collectors are familiar with,

Uh.....yes.

but on the other hand, they're also sketchy for differentiating themselves by not using different colored labels for restored books.

...and yes again.

I fail to see the contradiction in the position. (shrug)

Point being, as I said earlier, they are attempting to cash in on the well-established blue label which signifies "Universal Grade", ie UN-restored books, while pandering to those who want to blur the line with books that are restored by *also* putting them in slabs with blue labels. Doing such is a (only temporary, I would imagine) "victory" for the dealers/sellers who are only using this new service to increase their profit margins, and it is a step backward in restoration disclosure.

That is the real "reason" why certain parties want all slabs "to look the same".

It's all about the dollar, dollar bills.

-J.

Simple. First you complain that CBCS copied CGC. Then you complained that they didn't copy CGC. Whatever they do, you're not happy.

Your selective reading comprehension is mystifying.

I guess you missed the part(s) where I said that they could have chosen ANY OTHER UNIFORM LABEL COLOUR OTHER THAN BLUE if that was "really" what they wanted to do.

But they DELIBERATELY chose blue, the established colour for "Universal Grade" books, in a blatant attempt to bamboozle the less savvy/vigilant buyer, and for the purpose of increasing the profit margins of the dealers/sellers (and themselves, of course) who want restored books to look like and thus sell for the same amount as un-restored books..kind of like the bad old days.

Get it now ? (thumbs u

-J.

Oh, I got what your were implying the first time, and all the times thereafter. It's just hogwash. There's no "bamboozling" going on. All the resto information is right there on the label.

You can regurgitate the same mantra 'til the cows come home, but it's hogwash.

And no one has even attempted to explain or rationalize the logic behind why CBCS, of all the label colours they could have used, chose to parrot what CGC has been doing for 15 years for only original books, and blur restored and unrestored books under one blue label. Sketchy business.

-J.

So, on the one hand, CBCS is sketchy for mirroring the label color that collectors are familiar with,

Uh.....yes.

but on the other hand, they're also sketchy for differentiating themselves by not using different colored labels for restored books.

...and yes again.

I fail to see the contradiction in the position. (shrug)

Point being, as I said earlier, they are attempting to cash in on the well-established blue label which signifies "Universal Grade", ie UN-restored books, while pandering to those who want to blur the line with books that are restored by *also* putting them in slabs with blue labels. Doing such is a (only temporary, I would imagine) "victory" for the dealers/sellers who are only using this new service to increase their profit margins, and it is a step backward in restoration disclosure.

That is the real "reason" why certain parties want all slabs "to look the same".

It's all about the dollar, dollar bills.

-J.

Simple. First you complain that CBCS copied CGC. Then you complained that they didn't copy CGC. Whatever they do, you're not happy.

Your selective reading comprehension is mystifying.

I guess you missed the part(s) where I said that they could have chosen ANY OTHER UNIFORM LABEL COLOUR OTHER THAN BLUE if that was "really" what they wanted to do.

But they DELIBERATELY chose blue, the established colour for "Universal Grade" books, in a blatant attempt to bamboozle the less savvy/vigilant buyer, and for the purpose of increasing the profit margins of the dealers/sellers (and themselves, of course) who want restored books to look like and thus sell for the same amount as un-restored books..kind of like the bad old days.

Get it now ? (thumbs u

-J.

The "selective reading" comment is not really substantiated. You've made it clear that if CBCS had copied CGC's color coding of restored books you would have been happy. Your arguments always come from the presumption that the colored label is some sort of unassailable good thing and you've taken that as such an article of faith that you've needed to use contradictory arguments to get to the same conclusion.

I have failed to understand why anyone in any of these groups is bothered by the visually identifiable labels CGC has always used.

I think those opposed to the PLOD have a legitimate argument. Restored books have been lumped together and given the scarlet letter; the very name "Purple Label of Death" is a pretty dramatic demonstration of that. There was surprisingly little variation in realized sales of slight vs. moderate vs. extensive. You basically had PLODS as a group selling for 75-80% of their blue-label counterparts. People didn't see level of resto, they just saw PLOD.

With a single label color for all books, the scarlet letter goes away, and this was demonstrated with last weeks CC auction, where we saw some CBCS restored books selling better than expected with the blue label rather than the PLOD. Of course, if you're against the single label color system, then those results must be because bidders thought they were bidding on unrestored books, or the auction house was doing something "sketchy".

I think we should at least consider the possibility that they achieved a higher hammer price because they weren't lumped into a category entitled Purple Label of Death.

I agree with this 100%.. new people coming into the collecting world are told to stay away from PLOD books. I consider myself a "new" collector and I feel that way. And the chances of me purchasing a CBCS restored book are way higher just because of the labelling. And it's not the resto that I mind it just that a PLOD book looks damn ugly sitting in a collection of blue labels.

And the system should have never been about labels. It's about the book which I think CBCS helps people focus on rather the the label... My 2 cents

Buyers might also have been thinking that, if there are ways to sell restored books with descriptive lablels instead of a stigma label that it might impact the value of restored books going forward. In a similar way that people invest in a title upon hearing of a movie in development, they gamble that it may increase in value. It's natural. And it's an axiom of investing that it's generally good to buy things that have been irrationally ignored.

No doubt there will be some individual examples of people betting that the gap will close more that it actually closes, and pay too much. But the typical gap between them has been so wide that it's been nonsensical to the point that it's been an embarrassing aspect of the hobby

It's all about being okay to own restored books. One day all will be.

I could care less if a book has tear seals, ct, or anything that may enhance it's appearance as long as the stories and art stay true to the intended vision of what was originally put out. I will gladly buy a copy of something I know is out of my budget restored because I want to Read it! Their is readers, investors, and a mix of the two and I like to stay a reader because it's just makes me enjoy the hobby without the business side.

A man after my own heart...High Five, bro!

This monkey business about different slabbing companies, different colored labels, investors, etc., I look at as being in another universe.

I personally buy comic books to read 'em, just as I did off the news-stand starting about 1952. Only difference is that now they go into plastic bags with backing boards, and I don't have to hide the lurid ones.

Amen brother! Hide 'em, hell I Display them with pride. I have to admit, I do have a dozen or so slabbed books. These are mostly books I want for the cover only anyway. I understand and respect the need for this but since I am a bottom feeder it isn't a big issue for me anyway.

Just last week I bought a book slabbed by that "new" company of a book I already had a reader of. Kinda wanted to see how their grades compared with CGC. I have to say, just looking at one side and flipping it over to the back side is a very unfulfilling experience. A 2 minute experience and I'm on to something else...

I agree with this but I also like slabbing a lot for when it comes time to display and sell, because then you don't have to argue as much about the grade and you don't have to worry about someone damaging it.

If people stop obsessing over label colors, it will be a good thing.

But it will also be a good thing if people stop obsessing over the notion that a book should never be slabbed because then you can't read it.

Of course you can.

You can take it out.

Buyers who are anti-slab purists should think of it more like the packaging of a consumer item. It's there to assure you that it's as described on the box. But once you've bought it, you can take it home, unwrap it and enjoy it.

Eventually, when it comes time for you and/or your ancestors to sell, you can slab it again. because you want those buyers to know how well you've taken care of it in the meantime. Think of reslabbing as similar to getting the home inspection before the sale.