• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING starring Tom Holland (7/28/17)
3 3

1,648 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

This is a different market than when the first set of movies came out, the novelty factor of superhero movies is gone, now people just want to see a good movie.  Homecoming was a good movie and is one of the few bright spots in an otherwise dismal summer at the box office.   Planet of the Apes tool a calculated risk to release kneweek after Homecoming, and paid the price big time at the box office, but still likely took a bite out of Homecoming's second week numbers.   And still, it's shown to have long legs.  Marvel not only showed Sony to make a good Spider-Man movie, they showed them how to make a smart one (financially speaking).  It's been said that Spidey's extended intro in Civil War likely pumped $100MM extra into that movie's coffers.  Homecoming will likely end with between $820-$850MM, which is a fantastic multiple and a very good result for a solo hero project  (particularly one on his sixth individual outing in 16 years).  Those are numbers very close to what Wonder Woman will do, and that's with the advantage of releasing earlier in the year against no or weak competition for a solid month, and near universal critical and SJW fawning, and being Wonder Woman's first solo movie ever in that character's 75 year+ history.   With that individual novelty now worn off time will tell how well that character "ages" on the big screen, particularly after what is likely to be an extensive appearance in (if early reports are any indication) a really terrible JLA movie.  Regardless of all of the non-stop heaps of acclaim , I still find Gal Gadot miscast for that role, the movie overly long and tedious, narratively disjointed and choppy and the SJW themes of the movie as about as subtle as a jackhammer to the side of the head during nap time.   Meanwhile I found Holland's performance genuinely wide eyed and earnest, and perfect for the MCU.  While that movie was also 30 minutes too long, and too jokey (a problem I have with almost ALL marvel movies) it at least had a smooth narrative and one single compelling villain performance by a great , seasoned actor who nailed it.  

-J.

It's a box office disappointment with RDJ in the film this is essentially Iron Man 4 and made the film apart of the MCU. All this did was put 100 mil more into the film if he was not in it it would have done less. This film should have done around Iron Man 3/Civil War numbers from RDJ in it and Spidey now being in the MCU because you had more film goers who won't miss a single film in this series awaiting for the conclusion and if anything important happens in this film

So we really don't know where this film would have finished without him 230 mil maybe. 

Edited by reddwarf666222

31 minutes ago, reddwarf666222 said:

It's a box office disappointment with RDJ in the film this is essentially Iron Man 4 and made the film apart of the MCU. All this did was put 100 mil more into the film if he was not in it it would have done less. This film should have done around Iron Man 3/Civil War numbers from RDJ in it and Spidey now being in the MCU because you had more film goers who won't miss a single film in this series awaiting for the conclusion and if anything important happens in this film

So we really don't know where this film would have finished without him 230 mil maybe. 

Say what?  Downey Jr. had about ten minutes screen time  total in Homecoming.  

Okay so by your logic(?), Civil War (a billion dollar + earner) was essentially "Spider-man Homecoming- the Prequel", since Spider-man was in that for about 15 minutes.  That means two Spider-Man movies have made about a total of 2 billion dollars in two years.  

Looks good to me.  (thumbsu

-J.

10 minutes ago, Jaydogrules said:

Say what?  Downey Jr. had about ten minutes screen time  total in Homecoming.  

Okay so by your logic(?), Civil War (a billion dollar + earner) was essentially "Spider-man Homecoming- the Prequel", since Spider-man was in that for about 15 minutes.  That means two Spider-Man movies have made about a total of 2 billion dollars in two years.  

Looks good to me.  (thumbsu

-J.

The point is with RDJ and moving into the MCU the film should have made in the 400 mil range or more domestically. That move is why the film done more, but the film has underperformed for where it should be at.

20 minutes ago, reddwarf666222 said:

The point is with RDJ and moving into the MCU the film should have made in the 400 mil range or more domestically. That move is why the film done more, but the film has underperformed for where it should be at.

At worst, it's a wash.  Spider-man being in Civil War first likely put an extra $100-$150MM in that movie's tank.  It's a bit of a non-starter really since the entire point of the exercise is for a shared cinematic universe between Marvel and Sony. Both studios have already mutually benefited greatly from the partnership.  

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

This feels like the argument people made that because Batman v Superman didn't exceed $1 billion, it was a financial failure. Their reasoning being Batman and Superman both have long-running movie franchises, though only a few had any link to one another (or even worth watching). I guess the same folks would assume Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 should have made $1 billion since it was a sequel to a hugely successful origin movie. So of course it should have broke that barrier easily.

Most probably every time you change out actors and start over, movie-goers are going to see this as something new that has a wait-and-see atmosphere about it. Homecoming may not be my favorite Spider-Man movie (Spider-Man 2; then Spider-Man 1). But even hitting the numbers that it has achieved with the only repeat cast member being Robert Downey Jr. seems impressive. Even if China ends up being $38M-$40M total, this movie is probably going to come close or exceed $800M. Not a horrible way to reboot a franchise. Though it would have been nice to have a foundational story even old-time Spidey fans can appreciate. And not playing around with the MJ thing like they did.

Edited by Bosco685

On 8/22/2017 at 3:51 PM, Jaydogrules said:

I honestly can't tell if you're serious or not....

-J.

when he says anything at all negative about a marvel film, he is serious [the "horrendous" asm 1--72% on rt, essentially the inverse of 27'ish b.v.s and s.s., movies the d.c. guys love].

Edited by Straw-Man

On ‎7‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 2:02 PM, F For Fake said:

Finally got around to seeing "Spiderman" this weekend with the Missus. Our collective critical response was "meh". It was fine, nothing great. It really didn't feel like a Spider-Man movie to me. It was more like Iron Man Jr, considering how many of his abilities seemed to be tied to his suit.  I also believe I'm finally at the saturation point with RDJ and his Tony Stark shtick. What was once refreshing and fun is now just kind of annoying. Could have done with MUCH less Tony/IM in this flick, for sure. Our theater was mostly full, but most of the jokes fell flat. At the end of the day, it wasn't a trainwreck or anything, but I don't think Millenial Spidey is for me. But I'm not complaining. I got to see two terrific Spider-Man flicks in my life time (Raimi's first two) and that's good enough. I'm not greedy.

On the pros side, I did like Michael Keaton a lot, and I really dug the revamp of his costume design. But he didn't have a lot to do, and the pacing of the Spidey/Vulture rivalry was very odd.

Anyway, that's my two cents, and likely not even worth that much.

(And on Sunday I took myself to see "Atomic Blonde", which I loved. "Baby Driver" is still the best flick of the summer season, though.)

I've been wanting to see this for a while, but just haven't had the chance until today.  Agree 100% with this review.  Unfortunately, the best part of the movie was Spidey taking on the ATM bank robbers in the Avengers masks that we already saw in the previews and that lasted only a couple of minutes.

6 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

it'll pass iron man domestically this weekend; sure didn't expect that after the huge 2nd w'kend dropoff.

Not taking away from your statement. But if you look at all the Raimi Spider-Man movies, every one of them passed up Iron Man's domestic box office - before there was even an Iron Man (2008). Only the Amazing movies didn't even come close. So even a decent Spidey -script will probably land strong with domestic audiences.

dVk4iVy.png

i'm not sure how one can "take away" from an editorial-free statement of hard fact, but okay.

my reason for mentioning it:  a while ago detractors in the thread speculated [but with seeming certitude] that it wouldn't make a given dom. multiplier without "luck" [it did], might not make 700M int. [it did], would need a "major resurgence" to hit 300M dom. [it did]---and on…    

9 minutes ago, Straw-Man said:

i'm not sure how one can "take away" from an editorial-free statement of hard fact, but okay.

my reason for mentioning it:  a while ago detractors in the thread speculated [but with seeming certitude] that it wouldn't make a given dom. multiplier without "luck" [it did], might not make 700M int. [it did], would need a "major resurgence" to hit 300M dom. [it did]---and on…   

So your 'sure didn't expect that' was more tongue-in-cheek to those detracting from Homecoming? Okay. Oh - and that is how it would detract from your 'editorial-free statement'.

(:

What's wild is people were wondering how much Japan would add to the worldwide total with a delayed opening (8/11). As of 8/20:

$16,862,838

That part of the world is fanatical over Spidey. Even the Amazing movies did well.

- Amazing Spidey 1: $39,276,607

- Amazing Spidey 2: $30,253,480

Homecoming at least has to hit AS2's results. Though with these early results, could it surpass AS1's?

preamble:  other than the limp-noodle ending with her brother, i think WW is the better film [vis-a-vis homecoming].

still, it's looking like homecoming will get awfully close to 750M by the time it peters out over here and internationally sans china.  i have a morbid interest in seeing china push it past WW's global total, to see if that in turn inspires daily articles from the forbes guy about said potential outcome.

2 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

preamble:  other than the limp-noodle ending with her brother, i think WW is the better film [vis-a-vis homecoming].

still, it's looking like homecoming will get awfully close to 750M by the time it peters out over here and internationally sans china.  i have a morbid interest in seeing china push it past WW's global total, to see if that in turn inspires daily articles from the forbes guy about said potential outcome.

China means possibly a 100 mil more for Spider-Man. I don't think you will get daily from him on that topic. WW is outperforming Avengers on a daily basis now. That is the point and with nothing much coming out Avengers picked back up in September. WW is now picking up steam

On 8/22/2017 at 10:48 AM, Gatsby77 said:

Also - that this Spider-Man is a "failure" for just now crossing $300 million domestic is bunk.

By that measure, it's done better domestically than either of Andrew Garfield's Spidey films and cost less than either.

And F is for Fake nails it -- this was a rebuilding film after three bad movies.

Spider-Man 3's enormous box office was due to audience goodwill built from the first two good films. This film had the opposite to overcome, similar to what another take on Fantastic Four would face.

And it did!

:whee:

I agree what with you say. I like the Spiderman: Homecoming movie. I didn't understand all the hate.

It seems though it is like for every Spider-Man,X-Men,Superman, and Batman movie with there is some kind of  controversy.

1 hour ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I agree what with you say. I like the Spiderman: Homecoming movie. I didn't understand all the hate.

It seems though it is like for every Spider-Man,X-Men,Superman, and Batman movie with there is some kind of  controversy.

Let's face it Spider-Man 3 did squeak out as positive on Rotten Tomatoes from the critics and the Amazing Spider-Man was certified fresh. So neither of those films were bad, but they were not great either considering the previous two films in the series. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 now that was a bomb compared to the ok to good reviews Spider-Man 3 got.

I personally thing Amazing is a great film and Homecoming is even better.

I think the controversy here is simple Spidey is now apart of the MCEU Universe, had Tony Stark in the film, and a got a good introduction with Civil War. So you now have to figure the number of people who go to every MCEU movie because they are afraid they will miss something that may pertain to the next Avengers film or another MCEU film. So the question is how much of a bump did those additions give to this film? Should the film have performed better considering the reviews? 

There is no question the film was a critical success, but domestically I think it was a bit of a box office let down with all the stuff added into to make sure the film was successful. I think this film should have finished above 350 million, but then again no one was begging for this film so soon.

1 hour ago, reddwarf666222 said:

Let's face it Spider-Man 3 did squeak out as positive on Rotten Tomatoes from the critics and the Amazing Spider-Man was certified fresh. So neither of those films were bad, but they were not great either considering the previous two films in the series. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 now that was a bomb compared to the ok to good reviews Spider-Man 3 got.

I personally thing Amazing is a great film and Homecoming is even better.

I think the controversy here is simple Spidey is now apart of the MCEU Universe, had Tony Stark in the film, and a got a good introduction with Civil War. So you now have to figure the number of people who go to every MCEU movie because they are afraid they will miss something that may pertain to the next Avengers film or another MCEU film. So the question is how much of a bump did those additions give to this film? Should the film have performed better considering the reviews? 

There is no question the film was a critical success, but domestically I think it was a bit of a box office let down with all the stuff added into to make sure the film was successful. I think this film should have finished above 350 million, but then again no one was begging for this film so soon.

I would be surpried if either Thor or Justice League both make 350 million. The next Star Wars will be the only one that can do that domestically,even the last Fast and Furious movie couldn't do 350 million. The American audience box office is dwindling as the landscape is changing,similar in that we rarely see cds that once sold in multi- millions break 100,000 after Spotify and mp3s.

23 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

I would be surpried if either Thor or Justice League both make 350 million. The next Star Wars will be the only one that can do that domestically,even the last Fast and Furious movie couldn't do 350 million. The American audience box office is dwindling as the landscape is changing,similar in that we rarely see cds that once sold in multi- millions break 100,000 after Spotify and mp3s.

I'd be surprised if the next Thor film did better than 225 million unless the film got outstanding reviews in this market place now. Neither Thor film got great reviews the first one got some good ones in there, but the second one was around Spidey 3 reviews.  People are paying attention to the metacritic and rotten tomatoes now and that does influence how well the film will do so in Thor's last score was 54/100. Spider-Man 3's was 59/100 as an example. Hardly anyone was asking for another Thor film.

Justice League on the other hand you do have people asking for one, but can Whedon clean the mess up. If that gets great reviews that film can finish near 425 to 450 million

Edited by reddwarf666222

12 hours ago, reddwarf666222 said:

I'd be surprised if the next Thor film did better than 225 million unless the film got outstanding reviews in this market place now. Neither Thor film got great reviews the first one got some good ones in there, but the second one was around Spidey 3 reviews.  People are paying attention to the metacritic and rotten tomatoes now and that does influence how well the film will do so in Thor's last score was 54/100. Spider-Man 3's was 59/100 as an example. Hardly anyone was asking for another Thor film.

Justice League on the other hand you do have people asking for one, but can Whedon clean the mess up. If that gets great reviews that film can finish near 425 to 450 million

I am pretty sure it will do less than Spiderman: Homecoming and Thor Ragnorak domestically.

Even good reviews can't guarantee good domestic box office nowadays,as the latest War of Planet of the Apes movie is a prime example. a 93% rating on Rotten Tomatoes,but couldn't clear 145 domestically at the box office.