• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING starring Tom Holland (7/28/17)
3 3

1,648 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

As a movie it's entertaining, well made etc 

however as a fan of the character for over 30+ years it's disappointing 

On this, we agree. 

On 8/3/2017 at 5:21 PM, Chuck Gower said:

No, it appears as though it'll make it to $300 Million. A good showing. But not necessarily for the 'jewel in the crown' of Marvel Comics. It's not Batman numbers. Right now it's pushing to get past 'Man of Steel' numbers. 

For the top selling property of the biggest comic book publisher in the U.S., it's strange that it just doesn't compete with DC's number one brand, when it comes to movies. THIS has been my point.

If it hadn't reached $300 Million (and let's face it, a non-competative schedule is going to help it), that would've been an even bigger disappointment.

But just the fact that it's going to get thumped by both Wonder Woman (that everyone says is an anomaly), AND GOTG2 (a SEQUEL that's outperforming the FIRST movie), just seems strange to me, for Marvel's biggest franchise. Heck even Iron Man 3 (THREE!) broke $400 Million

Can it do $325M and match Suicide Squad numbers? Who'd have thought that? Would anyone here have bet that Spider-man could be outperformed by Suicide Squad? I'm sure there'll be those who say yes, but...2 years ago, I never would've believed it could be so close.

And Deadpool? Will SMH make $363 Million. VERY doubtful. Again surprising.

People want to say Spider-man fatigue, but what about Logan fatigue? This latest movie was his 3rd solo movie and EIGHTH movie featuring him, yet, it was his #1 highest grossing solo movie and #4 highest grossing X-Men connected movie. Where's the fatigue there?

Even if this Spider-man movie does another $30 Million, it still will only rank above the last two ASM duds. (And still put it far behind the 4 movies ahead of it for all time top opening weekends in July).

I still can't figure out a reason why, other than I just don't think it was a good enough movie.

I think it's Spider-fatigue (definitely the reason why it took me so long to finally get around to watching it) coupled with the fact that while it was positively reviewed, it wasn't exactly met with raves. "Logan" is one of the most well reviewed movies of the year, and had terrific word of mouth.  It also had a couple of decent movies to build on ("The Wolverine" and "X-Men DoFP"...best to not talk about "Apocalypse") whereas Spider-Man is having to rebuild after three bad movies. There's a lot of goodwill left to be restored for cinematic Spidey. Since this one did solid (if unspectacular) business, I'd expect the next entry will do better numbers.

As for Wonder Woman, there were decades of build-up for that movie. People have been wanting to see a "Wonder Woman" movie most of their lives, and when it turned out to not be terrible, it was a no-brainer that it would do bang up business. It also resonated with female audiences more than anyone apparently expected.

1 minute ago, jsilverjanet said:

It's also a better and more entertaining movie 

Totally agreed. I'm not as in love with WW as most folks (including my wife) but I did like it quite a bit. Didn't care for Homecoming.

On 8/11/2017 at 11:43 AM, jsilverjanet said:

It's also a better and more entertaining movie 

reasonable minds can differ on this, as the almost identical critical and "user rating" numbers show. they are surely both well-made and entertaining flicks.   

ww will clearly win the domestic race by a large margin; by the time homecoming is done in the orient, i think you'll see them within shouting distance of one another at the end of the day globally. 

Edited by Straw-Man

7 hours ago, Straw-Man said:

reasonable minds can differ on this, as the almost identical critical and "user rating" numbers show. they are surely both well-made and entertaining flicks.   

ww will clearly win the domestic race by a large margin; by the time homecoming is done in the orient, i think you'll see them within shouting distance of one another at the end of the day globally. 

Here is what I know WW has about 5 more million to get domestically. It's now outperforming Beauty and the Beast on a daily amount the top domestic film of the year.  It's too hard to guess to how Wonder Woman will perform in Japan.

No surprise Homecoming broke #700M worldwide. But still there is the concern about a soft China box office due to piracy.

1WJ0uu0.png

Remaining Release Schedule:

- China: August 2017 (??)

‘Spider-Man: Homecoming’ Crosses $300 Million Domestic Mark, But Still Lagging Worldwide

The domestic box office for Spider-Man: Homecoming continues to impress, as the Sony Pictures release and Marvel Studios co-production has now crossed the $300 million mark. That’s an impressive feat, and Homecoming now stands as only the fourth film to cross the $300 million mark this year behind Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Wonder Woman, and Beauty and the Beast.

Worldwide, however, it’s a different story. Spider-Man: Homecoming is still short of the worldwide box office totals for the Amazing movies, which were the films that led to this reboot in the first place. The caveat here is that Spider-Man: Homecoming has yet to open in China, where Marvel Studios movies tend to do very well. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 and Doctor Strange both scored over $100 million in China alone, and Homecoming opens today in Japan.

However, this summer the news came that China was delaying its release of Spider-Man: Homecoming, which could soften the impact. It appears that Chinese regulators may be reinstating a “blackout season” in which non-Chinese blockbusters are delayed release in China. This has a negative impact on the box office total, as piracy tends to really cut into the box office prospects—if folks have two, three, fourth months of worldwide release before a China release, that thing is gonna be all over piracy websites. Homecoming has been playing around the world for over a month already, and still doesn’t have a Chinese release date

Also - that this Spider-Man is a "failure" for just now crossing $300 million domestic is bunk.

By that measure, it's done better domestically than either of Andrew Garfield's Spidey films and cost less than either.

And F is for Fake nails it -- this was a rebuilding film after three bad movies.

Spider-Man 3's enormous box office was due to audience goodwill built from the first two good films. This film had the opposite to overcome, similar to what another take on Fantastic Four would face.

And it did!

:whee:

2 hours ago, Gatsby77 said:

Also - that this Spider-Man is a "failure" for just now crossing $300 million domestic is bunk.

By that measure, it's done better domestically than either of Andrew Garfield's Spidey films and cost less than either.

And F is for Fake nails it -- this was a rebuilding film after three bad movies.

Spider-Man 3's enormous box office was due to audience goodwill built from the first two good films. This film had the opposite to overcome, similar to what another take on Fantastic Four would face.

And it did!

:whee:

This guy is predicting a final worldwide tally of around  $820MM.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2017/08/18/spider-man-homecoming-headed-to-780-million-worldwide/amp/

That's a 4.68 multiple (highest since Spider-Man 1, by a lot)

But it's a "flop".   meh

-J.

Edited by Jaydogrules

3 hours ago, Jaydogrules said:

This guy is predicting a final worldwide tally of around  $820MM.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/markhughes/2017/08/18/spider-man-homecoming-headed-to-780-million-worldwide/amp/

That's a 4.68 multiple (highest since Spider-Man 1, by a lot)

But it's a "flop".   meh

-J.

So......adjusted that would put it barely ahead of the horrendous ASM 1? That is a flop when you consider this had RDJ/Iron Man and the Avengers 3, err Civil War, tie-in to set it up. 

From a pure financial perspective, it made money so it is fine.

Personally, I think Spidey is just facing the same issue that Superman does for DC. Both heroes were past icons that do not fit as well with modern pop culture. It happens. Both have been surpassed by Iron Man/Wolverine and Batman respectively (with WW maybe as well).

Edited by kimik

28 minutes ago, kimik said:

So......adjusted that would put it barely ahead of the horrendous ASM 1? That is a flop when you consider this had RDJ/Iron Man and the Avengers 3, err Civil War, tie-in to set it up. 

From a pure financial perspective, it made money so it is fine.

Personally, I think Spidey is just facing the same issue that Superman does for DC. Both heroes were past icons that do not fit as well with modern pop culture. It happens. Both have been surpassed by Iron Man/Wolverine and Batman respectively (with WW maybe as well).

I honestly can't tell if you're serious or not....

-J.

Even at current numbers, 4.1X budget is above and beyond a financial success, and at the same RR range as Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Doctor Strange and soon enough Guardians 2. Not bad!

roobc1u.png

kReDfe4.png

Remaining Release Schedule:

- China: 8 Sept 2017

Edited by Bosco685

1 hour ago, Jaydogrules said:

I honestly can't tell if you're serious or not....

-J.

Financially, homecoming is a success. 

From a Spidey franchise perspective, I am being serious when I say that it is not a great sign when this movie barely beats the horrendous ASM 1 worldwide. That movie was bad (and ASM 2 was brutal). The first two Spider-Man movies were the cream of the crop in the franchise, with Spider-Man 3 riding their good will to $1B+ box office. With all of the effort put in to guarantee Homecoming's success - Civil War lead in, huge marketing campaign - it really did not do that well. It will have a hard time catching up to GotG 2's worldwide numbers, and that movie was just average (granted, with GotG 1 being such a great movie it had a tough act to follow).

1 hour ago, kimik said:

Financially, homecoming is a success. 

From a Spidey franchise perspective, I am being serious when I say that it is not a great sign when this movie barely beats the horrendous ASM 1 worldwide. That movie was bad (and ASM 2 was brutal). The first two Spider-Man movies were the cream of the crop in the franchise, with Spider-Man 3 riding their good will to $1B+ box office. With all of the effort put in to guarantee Homecoming's success - Civil War lead in, huge marketing campaign - it really did not do that well. It will have a hard time catching up to GotG 2's worldwide numbers, and that movie was just average (granted, with GotG 1 being such a great movie it had a tough act to follow).

This is a different market than when the first set of movies came out, the novelty factor of superhero movies is gone, now people just want to see a good movie.  Homecoming was a good movie and is one of the few bright spots in an otherwise dismal summer at the box office.   Planet of the Apes tool a calculated risk to release kneweek after Homecoming, and paid the price big time at the box office, but still likely took a bite out of Homecoming's second week numbers.   And still, it's shown to have long legs.  Marvel not only showed Sony to make a good Spider-Man movie, they showed them how to make a smart one (financially speaking).  It's been said that Spidey's extended intro in Civil War likely pumped $100MM extra into that movie's coffers.  Homecoming will likely end with between $820-$850MM, which is a fantastic multiple and a very good result for a solo hero project  (particularly one on his sixth individual outing in 16 years).  Those are numbers very close to what Wonder Woman will do, and that's with the advantage of releasing earlier in the year against no or weak competition for a solid month, and near universal critical and SJW fawning, and being Wonder Woman's first solo movie ever in that character's 75 year+ history.   With that individual novelty now worn off time will tell how well that character "ages" on the big screen, particularly after what is likely to be an extensive appearance in (if early reports are any indication) a really terrible JLA movie.  Regardless of all of the non-stop heaps of acclaim , I still find Gal Gadot miscast for that role, the movie overly long and tedious, narratively disjointed and choppy and the SJW themes of the movie as about as subtle as a jackhammer to the side of the head during nap time.   Meanwhile I found Holland's performance genuinely wide eyed and earnest, and perfect for the MCU.  While that movie was also 30 minutes too long, and too jokey (a problem I have with almost ALL marvel movies) it at least had a smooth narrative and one single compelling villain performance by a great , seasoned actor who nailed it.  

-J.