• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hierarchy of the Top Golden Age Superhero Comics (2015 Edition)

142 posts in this topic

The great thing about opinions like this is that no ones is more right than the next and no ones list is "wrong"

There are some that are spot on and others that are way left field relative to mass opinion but it's all good in the end.

The great thing about opinions like this is that no ones is more right than the next and no ones list is "wrong"

There are some that are spot on and others that are way left field relative to mass opinion but it's all good in the end.

Well stated (thumbs u

Well stated (thumbs u

Absolutely.

Do you have a list in mind Rick?

Well stated (thumbs u

Absolutely.

Do you have a list in mind Rick?

of course I do. Opinions are like left nipples...everyone's got one (or at least should lol )

Here's my list:

1) Action Comics #1

obvious

2) Detective Comics #27

obvious

3) Flash & Thrill Comics #1 ashcan

11 (or possibly 12) total copies in existence total between the both of them. As compared to hundreds of copies of Action 1, Tech 27, and all the rest. First appearance of Captain Marvel.

4) All-American Comics #16

A little more rare than Flash 1.

5) Flash Comics #1

DC ruled the Golden Age. And the Flash is probably the leading Justice Society/League member after Superman and Batman.

6) Motion Picture Funnies Weekly #1

8 copies exist. First appearance of Submariner.

7) Captain America Comics #1

Best Golden Age Marvel character.

8) More Fun Comics #73

Wonder Woman and AS8 probably deserve this spot....but she is a woman. Maybe it's because I'm a guy, but I'd rather have a comic with both Aquaman and Green Arrow in it. Aquaman is a strange case. He hasn't dominated in the comics until very recently....but he's been super-famous since the 60's due to television. And he's rated by DC in their Top-6. Combine that with Green Arrow, and it's enough for this ranking. There are simply no other Golden Age characters remaining from this list that can beat both Aquaman and Green Arrow. If you disagree, name them please.

9) Batman #1

The Joker is the top villain ever. Catwoman is a bonus. First Batman title is a bonus. Adding these 3 elements together gets it this ranking.

10) Marvel Comics #1

First Human Torch. First Marvel comic.

11) is All-Star Comics #8. 12) is Superman #1.

Also honorable mention to every first appearance of Justice Society members. Also Plastic Man. I might mention a few others later in this thread, like Blue Beetle, Daredevil, etc....or anyone I forgot.

Great list. I'd replace the Capt. Thunder ashcan with Whiz 2 because as cool as ashcans are (and as valuable as they should be), they are really production materials and including them opens the door to things like the Superman family of ashcans. I'd also rate MC 1 and CA 1 higher than MPFW 1. And I also rate AS 3, 8, and Superman 1, above Batman 1, but I can see why some might not agree.

In response to a few of you guys' comments....yes it's a fun topic. We're never going to totally agree. It's even within the realm of possibility that we may occasionally let some biases creep in. (tsk)

Yes I already said a while back that it's me who's selling the Flash 1 ashcan....full disclosure lol. Yes he's Captain Thunder....and yes it's production materials....but it IS CLEARLY the missing Whiz #1. And they even call him Captain Thunder now at times. And look at him. So yes, it's Captain Marvel. I know this could open the door to things like the Superman family of ashcans....but as far as I know, there's no ashcan appearance of Superman before Action #1. (If there is, let me know; I'd like a copy.)

At least my list didn't get hammered too bad........yet?? :wishluck:

Yes I already said a while back that it's me who's selling the Flash 1 ashcan....full disclosure lol. Yes he's Captain Thunder....and yes it's production materials....but it IS CLEARLY the missing Whiz #1. And they even call him Captain Thunder now at times. And look at him. So yes, it's Captain Marvel. I know this could open the door to things like the Superman family of ashcans....but

What's the provenance of your copy? Is it one of the copies that Stephen Fishler got from the CBS archives? (there are maybe one or two copies that surfaced elsewhere, I think?)

I actually think there's an excellent chance that there was a true Whiz 1 ashcan (that has the title Whiz but was done after Flash and Thrill versions. Whether a copy still exists today is another matter.

as far as I know, there's no ashcan appearance of Superman before Action #1. (If there is, let me know; I'd like a copy.)

I doubt we've heard the last word on this subject, but time will tell.

Great list. Great arguments as well. My only 'gripe" is Whiz 2 (1) I would have to have AS 8 somewhere in there and I don't think I could leave AA 16 or Flash 1 off the list (one of those would have to be represented based on your criteria) Nice to see you old avatar back!

Thanks Corey. :headbang:

Whiz #2 (#1) is the book I had the most reservations about.

Value-wise, it's ahead of Tec #33. But the origin of Batman is major. If I were to move AS #8 onto my list, I'd probably have to drop Whiz #2 before I'd drop Tec #33.

Whiz 2 (1) belongs on a top 10 list for historical importance if not anything else, and ahead of Tec #33 in my opinion.

Captain Marvel one of the top two or three most important and popular superheroes of the Golden Age. Fawcett was second only to DC (and not always) in popularity during the GA (Timely was an also ran). And unlike almost all other non-DC superheroes, he lasted until 1954 and likely would have survived through the 1950s had DC not sued Fawcett.

Capt. Marvel was also the first superhero to fly out of the comics and into film with his 1941 serial. He was the first to fly on the big screen. For context, his adventures predated the Superman cartoon by six months. Capt. Marvel had massive popularity.

In short, his pop culture significance, in the GA, dwarfs pretty much everyone but Superman (and maybe Batman).

IMHO, anyone who rates Whiz 2(1) behind D38 (and I really really like Grayson/Robin, but he's not even a character anymore), CA 1 (whose pop culture significance in the GA is grossly overstated by the OP, I think), and other books on that list is really just making a list of the "flavor of the month" not a list that takes into account the full history of comics.

If that's the point of this list, than fine. Toss out WW and the JSA as well, because they are way overrated from today's "hot book" vantage point and substitute back in a bunch of Batman books and Action 7.

Yup.

switch out all star 8 with tec 33 and you are onto something ;)

yes! this!!

I'd probably put Pep 22 ahead of both of them. In equivalent grades the Pep out performs All Star 8.

the "cover" to as 8 is better than tec 33

disagree

I agree with Richard

I agree with Bill.

I either agree or disagree with all three of you. I haven't decided which yet.

Please PM with offers of golden age comic books to sway my decision.

33s cover just doesn't appeal to me when compared to surrounding "greats" (29,31,35,36)

I personally love as8 cover. But that's why it's an opinion or personal preference. It can't be wrong relatively speaking.

And I wasn't even thinking pep22. That's huge and certainly should be included in any top 10 list hm

33s cover just doesn't appeal to me when compared to surrounding "greats" (29,31,35,36)

I personally love as8 cover. But that's why it's an opinion or personal preference. It can't be wrong relatively speaking.

And I wasn't even thinking pep22. That's huge and certainly should be included in any top 10 list hm

:hi:

I like 33 over 36.

G.A.tor - do you really like the cover of tec 36 more than 33? I can see 29, 31, and 35, but I guess 36 kinda surprises me.

My order of favorite cover: Tec 33>Tec36>AS 8.. Sorry fellas, just not a fan of the AS 8 cover. I prefer the cover in Sensation 1 as being the best Wonder Woman cover among the big 3 WW books.
I like Sensation 1 over WW1 cover. Sort of tough to compare with AS8 as she's not even on the cover