• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hierarchy of the Top Golden Age Superhero Comics (2015 Edition)

142 posts in this topic

the "cover" to as 8 is better than tec 33

disagree

I agree with Richard

I agree with Bill.

I either agree or disagree with all three of you. I haven't decided which yet.

Please PM with offers of golden age comic books to sway my decision.

That's a very Frank Underwood way of approaching the issue; ...I like it. :devil:

33s cover just doesn't appeal to me when compared to surrounding "greats" (29,31,35,36)

I personally love as8 cover. But that's why it's an opinion or personal preference. It can't be wrong relatively speaking.

(thumbs u

And I wasn't even thinking pep22. That's huge and certainly should be included in any top 10 list hm

I'd pick Pep 34 over 22 for great covers, but I'd also argue that a copy of this puppy should be on every red-blooded GA collector's Top 10 list (so what do I know)... (shrug)

33aa41d0-a088-4cc9-b6c9-d79024fc8054_zps9c838b96.jpg

33s cover just doesn't appeal to me when compared to surrounding "greats" (29,31,35,36)

G.A.tor - do you really like the cover of tec 36 more than 33? I can see 29, 31, and 35, but I guess 36 kinda surprises me.

i do

But aren't we talking top influential Golden Age books, not just front covers? I'm not a huge fan of AS8 cover either (I like Sen1 much better), but if we're at least lending some weight to books with historical significance, Wonder Woman became a feminist icon and was considered a champion for gender equality. To me, the significance of her character and how it shaped the feminist movement across the country holds more weight than most other comic characters. I can't imagine not including Wonder Woman in any Top Ten list (especially in lieu of origin of Batman or first appearance of a sidekick).

disagree

I agree with Richard

I agree with Bill.

I agree with... (darn, I don't know people's first names). I'll agree with GAtor. There's something about that AS8 cover. The shading, the reactions. Yes, I wish WW was in the crystal ball, but even though she's not, this comic has to be in the top 10.

1 of the big 3 Wonder Woman books HAS to be in the top 10. IMO it's gotta be AS8 or Sen 1

I don't think you can have sens 1 in the top 10 and leave all star 8 out of it. as 8 is the first appearance, first use of the title wonder woman, origin, and first pic in costume Sens 1 is a continuation of the story (although she gets her alias Diana prince) but even the cover (as cool as I think it is for the most part) is just what they did with Supes 1 by copying the pic from Action 10 (in this case the Splash page to the AS 8 WW story) Once again I include AS 8, drop Whiz 2, include either AA 16 or Flash 1 (or both and drop AS 3...although that would be more difficult) I even see a case to drop Tec 33 to be able to include AA 16 & Flash 1 (especially if you are including Bats 1 in your Top 10)

I don't think you can have sens 1 in the top 10 and leave all star 8 out of it. as 8 is the first appearance, first use of the title wonder woman, origin, and first pic in costume Sens 1 is a continuation of the story (although she gets her alias Diana prince) but even the cover (as cool as I think it is for the most part) is just what they did with Supes 1 by copying the pic from Action 10 (in this case the Splash page to the AS 8 WW story) Once again I include AS 8, drop Whiz 2, include either AA 16 or Flash 1 (or both and drop AS 3...although that would be more difficult) I even see a case to drop Tec 33 to be able to include AA 16 & Flash 1 (especially if you are including Bats 1 in your Top 10)

I'd love to see your list, in whatever order you have it. :popcorn:

It's easier to comment on other peoples lists than come up with your own :)

Here's mine:

Action 1

Tec 27

Cap 1

Marvel 1

Supes 1

AA 16

Flash 1

Tec 38

Bats 1

AS 3

* I should note it is difficult for me not to include Tec 33 I just can't figure out what to take out in it's place (either Bats 1 or AS 3)

But aren't we talking top influential Golden Age books, not just front covers? I'm not a huge fan of AS8 cover either (I like Sen1 much better), but if we're at least lending some weight to books with historical significance, Wonder Woman became a feminist icon and was considered a champion for gender equality. To me, the significance of her character and how it shaped the feminist movement across the country holds more weight than most other comic characters. I can't imagine not including Wonder Woman in any Top Ten list (especially in lieu of origin of Batman or first appearance of a sidekick).

I think you make an excellent point. If the list is just about desirability to collectors, then all you need to do is look at auction prices. And what's the point of such a list?

If you were to go strictly by historical import, I think you get a much different looking list. For example, I'd place the top 5 books based on historical import as:

* Action 1: 1st app. and invention of the superhero; 1st app. and origin of Superman (most popular GA character); Commencement of the DC universe of superheroes.

* Funny Pages 21: 1st non-DC superhero and commencement of broader superhero trend in comics; Pre-cursor to Green Arrow, Hawkeye, TVs Arrow (etc.); Commencement of the Centaur superhero trend. [i'll admit I'm not sure about this pick. I could easily go with Wonder 1 as the first Superman emulator and commencement of the broader superhero trend in comics; Commencement of the Fox superhero trend. I'm just not sure which is more significant Funny Pages 21 or Wonder 1 -- but I pick Centaur because they went deep into superheroes very early and, I think, spurred other publishers to get on the trend like Timely.]

* Whiz 2(1): 1st app. and origin of Capt. Marvel (second or third most popular GA superhero and most popular non-DC GA superhero); Commencement of the Fawcett universe of superheroes (most popular non-DC GA universe).

* Marvel 1: 1st app. of Human Torch; 1st mass market app. of Submariner; Commencement of the Marvel universe of superheroes (most popular current universe).

* All-Star 3: 1st app. and invention of the superhero team; 1st app. and origin of the JSA (most popular GA team). [Apologies here to the earlier Shield-Wizard cross-over which was the first superhero cross-over and the Submariner-Torch cross-over which was the first superhero battle, but the superhero team is a much more important milestone, I think.]

I didn't include Pep #22 on the list because it's a list of "superhero" books.

I get that its importance in solely due to Archie, but to say that Pep 22 isn't a "superhero" book doesn't work here. There are almost as many superhero stories in Pep 22 as there are in Action 1, Detective 27 and Whiz 1 COMBINED!

disagree

I agree with Richard

not being a d.c. guy, i'm entirely objective on this point---'tec cover far superior. but, remember: original opinion above comes from guy who thinks florida beats nebraska in nat'l championship game back in '96 but for one bad call [62-24, huskers].

I personally love as8 cover. But that's why it's an opinion or personal preference. It can't be wrong relatively speaking.

And I wasn't even thinking pep22. That's huge and certainly should be included in any top 10 list hm

i won't argue with this, as it's something of a truism. but it's often used to support preposterous "opinions." for example, g.a.tor, just imagine you opined that wuerffel was a better nfl quarterback than elway. you wouldn't be "wrong" per your point above, but you would be a fool. wouldn't you rather just be "wrong" than be a fool?

We should just turn this into a NU -UF thread

Tommie Frazier > Danny Wuerffel

Tom Osborne > Steve Spurrier

I will say this Danny W. was the most accurate passer I have ever seen watching college football. No one could put a ball where in the smallest spot where it had to be better than he could (unless he was playing the Cornhuskers of 96 after his first drive down the field to open the game)

disagree

I agree with Richard

not being a d.c. guy, i'm entirely objective on this point---'tec cover far superior. but, remember: original opinion above comes from guy who thinks florida beats nebraska in nat'l championship game back in '96 but for one bad call [62-24, huskers].

at the very least, the outcome, imo, would have been very different!

We should just turn this into a NU -UF thread

Tommie Frazier > Danny Wuerffel

Tom Osborne > Steve Spurrier

I will say this Danny W. was the most accurate passer I have ever seen watching college football. No one could put a ball where in the smallest spot where it had to be better than he could (unless he was playing the Cornhuskers of 96 after his first drive down the field to open the game)

wrong on both accounts :baiting:

Spurrier is great no doubt about it but Osborne won 250 games in 25 years No one ,no matter what team you inherit, no matter what conference you are in, can go that long with winning that many games. This was way before the Phillips type recruit (which I can think of less than 5 in his tenure) Don't forget NU won huge games the last two years with back ups and walk ons due to injury that weren't that spectacular in all actuality (minus Brook Berringer who was not a "thug")