• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do WTB ad's work?
2 2

105 posts in this topic

I noticed the ones that get the most responses are the ones where the OP says something like " I have $500 to spend and these are the types of books I am looking for, post what you have here and I will pick the one I like most "

I had a guy looking for an Avengers #57.

I asked which grade / price range.

He said "Any".

I told him I could probably get him fitted into a CGC 9.6 for about $4500

He said he was looking for a $100-200 copy.

Why not just say that in the first place?

I noticed the ones that get the most responses are the ones where the OP says something like " I have $500 to spend and these are the types of books I am looking for, post what you have here and I will pick the one I like most "

I had a guy looking for an Avengers #57.

I asked which grade / price range.

He said "Any".

I told him I could probably get him fitted into a CGC 9.6 for about $4500

He said he was looking for a $100-200 copy.

Why not just say that in the first place?

lol

WTB Ads can be tough though as you cannot buy everything from everyone that offers you something. Unfortunately I think I may have annoyed someone with the last WTB GI Joe Art ad I ran in the Original Art area of the forum.

I got quite a few PMs. There was one piece that stood out above all the others and it was from someone whose very first post on this forum was in response to my ad. It was kind of hard to juggle responses while I settled a price for the piece I mainly wanted. In the meanwhile, I settled a price for the other piece. There was no way in my budget though that I could buy everything.

Hopefully in a month or two when I reactivate it, I will have the opportunity to deal with others again over there.

As someone who spends 95% of his time in the OA threads, you should be a little more specific. Do you want Larry Hama series GI Joe? Do you want 60s/70s Hasbro stuff? Modern cheap IDW? (That was one I think I offered you per PM.) How about GI Joe vs Transformers? (Okay, I think I made my point before that last one!)

Okay, off to look in the WTB threads!

I just got my Bill Sienkiewicz Moon Knight cover OA thanks to a WTB thread. :luhv:

j19q5K.jpg

I also got my copy of Crime SuspenStories via to a WTB, and filled a bunch of holes in my Infantino Batman runs.

crime_suspenstories_22.jpg

WTB Ads can be tough though as you cannot buy everything from everyone that offers you something. Unfortunately I think I may have annoyed someone with the last WTB GI Joe Art ad I ran in the Original Art area of the forum.

I got quite a few PMs. There was one piece that stood out above all the others and it was from someone whose very first post on this forum was in response to my ad. It was kind of hard to juggle responses while I settled a price for the piece I mainly wanted. In the meanwhile, I settled a price for the other piece. There was no way in my budget though that I could buy everything.

Hopefully in a month or two when I reactivate it, I will have the opportunity to deal with others again over there.

As someone who spends 95% of his time in the OA threads, you should be a little more specific. Do you want Larry Hama series GI Joe? Do you want 60s/70s Hasbro stuff? Modern cheap IDW? (That was one I think I offered you per PM.) How about GI Joe vs Transformers? (Okay, I think I made my point before that last one!)

I thought I was:

Here is my WTB contained in a spoiler.

Link to it HERE

Please note that it was edited on 2/11 when I closed the thread after picking up two pieces.

For the record. I save all my PM's. A mistake could have been made but I went through them since I started that thread on 1/31. I do not have a PM in my board's mailbox from you. If I am wrong please show me and I do apologize. I thought I was pretty specific with what I wanted but if there is anything that needed to be cleaned up lmk and I will fix it for when I reopen that want list.

The end results landed me the Snake Eyes splash from the final issue of the Marvel Series as well as a Snake Eyes page from issue 88 where he is tackling Darklon with Flint, Lady Jaye, and Hawk hanging around in the background. When it comes to Joe pages, character is everything to me and artist is secondary.

Figured I would give this a try.

I looked at the upcoming CLink and Heritage auctions and did not see anything. So... I wanted to see if anyone has anything out there that might interest me.

My GI Joe interests.

Marvel Series (Main title, Special Missions, Yearbook Order of Battle, Joe v Transformers)

Pages including any of the following characters:

Snake Eyes, Clutch, Recondo, Stalker, Storm Shadow, Beach Head, Dusty, Flint, Scarlet, Lady Jaye, Roadblock, or... you never know... show me what you have.

IDW

Covers - There was a nice Roadblock cover shooting up a train that I missed... interiors with Snake Eyes are interesting...

PM me with what you have and an asking price.

I thought I was:

Here is my WTB contained in a spoiler.

Link to it HERE

Please note that it was edited on 2/11 when I closed the thread after picking up two pieces.

For the record. I save all my PM's. A mistake could have been made but I went through them since I started that thread on 1/31. I do not have a PM in my boards mailbox from you. If I am wrong please show me and I do apologize. I thought I was pretty specific with what I wanted but if there is anything that needed to be cleaned up lmk and I will fix it for when I reopen that want list.

The end results landed me the Snake Eyes splash from the final issue of the Marvel Series as well as a Snake Eyes page from issue 88 where he is tackling Darklon with Flint, Lady Jaye, and Hawk hanging around in the background. When it comes to Joe pages, character is everything to me and artist is secondary.

Figured I would give this a try.

I looked at the upcoming CLink and Heritage auctions and did not see anything. So... I wanted to see if anyone has anything out there that might interest me.

My GI Joe interests.

Marvel Series (Main title, Special Missions, Yearbook Order of Battle, Joe v Transformers)

Pages including any of the following characters:

Snake Eyes, Clutch, Recondo, Stalker, Storm Shadow, Beach Head, Dusty, Flint, Scarlet, Lady Jaye, Roadblock, or... you never know... show me what you have.

IDW

Covers - There was a nice Roadblock cover shooting up a train that I missed... interiors with Snake Eyes are interesting...

PM me with what you have and an asking price.

I guess I remembered wrongly, about the WTB and the PM. Sorry 'bout that. I delete my PMs as soon as I think they have run their course, but you seem correct. And that post is specific, that's for sure.

Emily Littela anyone?

BTW, I just started a specific WTB thread for DD 181 9.8. We'll see how that works out.

I've wondered about the WTB thread myself, so I'm glade to see this thread and all the contributions. The thing is, what I'm looking for are a few specific slabs from a noted pedigree. Since I'm looking for a "one of a kind copy" of certain issues versus a copy of these certain issues, it may be chirping crickets next to a haystack with a needle somewhere. Still, never know until you try.

I've wondered about the WTB thread myself, so I'm glade to see this thread and all the contributions. The thing is, what I'm looking for are a few specific slabs from a noted pedigree. Since I'm looking for a "one of a kind copy" of certain issues versus a copy of these certain issues, it may be chirping crickets next to a haystack with a needle somewhere. Still, never know until you try.

Just put up the WTB thread, and bump it occasionally. It took me 18 months to get the MK cover, but I'd still be looking without the WTB.

Just put up the WTB thread, and bump it occasionally. It took me 18 months to get the MK cover, but I'd still be looking without the WTB.

Done! :wishluck:

Do you think WTB ad's work?

Yes, WTB ads definitely work. I think WTB is a great part of the forum (thumbs u .

My first attempt was a WTB post for a Usagi Yojimbo #1 (1st Print Fantagraphics) in NM or higher. Got several responses, one pointed me to a seller on Etsy. Awesome price, great seller and shipping, grade came back @ 9.6

Also made 2 sales by responding to different WTB threads. Both parties were happy with the books I sent.

Mine worked fine. Started a WTB DD 181 9.8 yesterday and watched it fall to the bottom of the page. Lo and behold this morning I had two responses, one advice and one with the book. Short haggle later and I bought the book.

So my horribly small sample says "Yes, WTBs work!"

None of mine have ever worked. They've all been for fairly tough books that are somewhat low dollar value: Submariner 29, 7.0/OW—W or better; Phantom Stranger 5, 7.0/OW—W or better; Muggsy Mouse 1, 9.0/OW—W or better; Starstream 1—4, 9.8/W.

I just got my Bill Sienkiewicz Moon Knight cover OA thanks to a WTB thread. :luhv:

j19q5K.jpg

:applause:

That's awesome - I know you're stoked about that piece.

My first WTB for Snap Happys got fulfilled shortly after my very first post here on the boards.