• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Studios' WOLVERINE 3 - LOGAN starring Hugh Jackman (2017)
8 8

1,131 posts in this topic

VARIETY: Berlin Film Review: ‘Logan’

The third 'Wolverine' film brings the saga to a satisfying finish, as Hugh Jackman's mutant slasher finds his powers on the wane.

“Logan,” the third and final chapter in the “Wolverine” series (though it’s the 10th — count ’em — “X-Men” film, and not necessarily the last), opens in 2029 on the outskirts of El Paso, where Logan (Hugh Jackman) steps out of the beat-up limo he now drives for a living to confront the goons who are trying to strip the car. To say that Logan looks the worse for wear would be putting it mildly. He’s a drunk, with mottled skin and his trademark sci-fi muttonchops grown into a scraggly beard. (The beard looks like a virus that’s going around, as if Jackman were warming up to play Mel Gibson.)

Keen, in her movie debut, has the orbs of a staring bird and an air of preternatural awareness. She could be the junior sister of Rooney and Kate Mara, and that’s because she holds the screen with her solemnity. Logan agrees to drive her to Eden, a utopian refuge for mutants in North Dakota — though, as he discovers (in one of the film’s few funny gambits), Eden originated in the “X-Men” comics, which in Logan’s mind means that it has to be a made-up place. For most of the movie, he, Laura, and Professor X are on the run from Dr. Zander Rice (Richard E. Grant) and his goons. That’s the whole plot, but Mangold strikes a nice balance between road-movie ambling and eruptions of feral suspense.

It’s Jackman who holds “Logan” together and gives the film its glimmer of soul. He has been playing this role, more or less nonstop, for 18 years, but he seems startlingly not bored by it. Better still, he’s a more refined actor now than when he started, and in “Logan,” he gets to play something rare in comic-book cinema: a powerhouse of animal rage who is slowly, agonizingly slipping away. By the end of the movie, he gets his muttonchops back and reminds you, once more, of what’s great about this character — his hellbent quality, embodied in those flesh-ripping kills that are his way of making good on a mutant destiny he never asked for. No “X-Men” movie will ever be great (the material is too derivative), but Jackman, though he’s the Superman of the bunch, has gone deeper into the alienation than any other mutant in the series. The end of “Logan” is genuinely touching, as Jackman lets you feel the character’s strength and pain, and — finally — his release.

CINEMABLEND: Logan Review

When it comes to Hugh Jackman's unprecedented run as Wolverine, they saved the best for last.

James Mangold's Logan is the definitive Wolverine movie. Somber, mature, reflective and destructive, Logan arguably could be called the best X-Men movie, period. It is, for sure, the Wolverine movie that lifelong X-Men, Marvel, and superhero fans have been waiting for Hugh Jackman to make -- the "Holy Grail" feature we've routinely been promised, right before something like X-Men: Origins -- Wolverine shows up and disappoints.

Yes, I fully understand that the previous two spinoff Wolverine movies centered around Jackman's version of the irritable, clawed mutant were: 1) Abysmal (for Origins), and; 2) Underwhelming (for The Wolverine). But as it turns out, those painful yet necessary steps provided teachable moments for Mangold, Jackman and anyone who has ever contributed to a Wolverine story. And with Logan, all of those lessons finally paid off.

Logan doesn't follow the superhero blueprint, though that's a check in its favor. There are villains, yes, but the real antagonist staring down Wolverine is time, and fate. Cities aren't leveled in this movie's various fight sequences, and the consequences of major decisions aren't comically exaggerated. By grounding the film's action, and painting on a relatively small-scale canvas, James Mangold and Hugh Jackman raise the bar on the types of stories you can tell with superheroes -- thereby redefining what the term Superhero Movie even means in the year 2017.

Without giving too much away, I'll say that by the end of Logan, I couldn't believe how much Mangold and Jackman were able to accomplish with this final, fantastic movie. I was floored by the film's impact on the legacy of this timeless character. I was deeply moved by Jackman's soulful, intense and, yes, Oscar-worthy performance, which draws from every appearance as the Wolverine but also puts a period on the end of the sentence that the actor started writing in the first X-Men movie. And I left Logan fully satiated by the totality of Wolverine's on-screen journey. When it comes to Hugh Jackman's unprecedented run as Wolverine, they saved the best for last.

RATING: 5.0/5.0 stars

Edited by Bosco685

FORBES.COM: 'Logan' Review: Wolverine's Latest 'X-Men' Is A Cut Above

James Mangold’s Logan is an interesting example of the somewhat lowered expectations which we possess for superhero comic book movies. The film is a relatively straightforward western drama, a “famous gunslinger’s last rodeo” type adventure not unlike The Shootist and it is quite successful in its respective goals.

But I would be willing to bet that the same film delivered sans known characters and specifically sans four-color source material would be accepted as a rock-solid genre piece as opposed to the pinnacle of its respective genre. Logan is good, it is occasionally great, but I would argue that it is about as good as we should expect these films to be as a matter of course.

Logan is a pretty solid action movie regardless of its how unique it is by virtue of starring a previously PG-13 comic book character. It plays like a hybrid of the likes of Shane, Blood Father and Midnight Special blended into a fine paste, poured into an X-Men container and marinated in blood. It will satisfy fans of the franchise and fans of the character even if it’s much longer than its story justifies.

And, if this really is Hugh Jackman's last ride as the Wolverine, this is as honorable a finale as one could hope for. It doesn't quite hit the sweet spot of the very end of The Dark Knight Rises, but it gets the job done as a potential curtain call.

Yet Logan exists as a fascinating example of where mainstream cinema sits at this moment. To wit, the copious moviegoers who flock to Logan and revel in the genre appropriation would never think to sample the genuine article absent the super-heroic franchise trappings. But if comic book superhero films (or fantastical action movies like the Fast and Furious or Mission: Impossible franchises) are becoming the new genre, then we should hope that they, on average, are at least as good as Logan.

Empire

Yes, the Wolverine movie without 'Wolverine' in the title is definitely the best one yet: grown-up, ballsy, character-driven and grounded. It feels right that it should be the last one, but it also feels a bit of a shame. Rating: 4 stars out of 5

Total Film

Brutal, bloody, and beautiful, Logan is the gritty, R-rated Wolverine movie we’ve all been waiting for.

IGN

Logan is in many ways an emotional, heavy picture, but it’s also an uplifting one that reminds us that it’s O.K. to fight for something more, something better. It’s an amazing swan song for the Wolverine character, and for Jackman, and perhaps the best X-Men movie yet. Rating: 9.7

Variety

It’s Jackman who holds “Logan” together and gives the film its glimmer of soul. He has been playing this role, more or less nonstop, for 18 years, but he seems startlingly not bored by it. Better still, he’s a more refined actor now than when he started, and in “Logan,” he gets to play something rare in comic-book cinema: a powerhouse of animal rage who is slowly, agonizingly slipping away. By the end of the movie, he gets his muttonchops back and reminds you, once more, of what’s great about this character — his hellbent quality, embodied in those flesh-ripping kills that are his way of making good on a mutant destiny he never asked for. No “X-Men” movie will ever be great (the material is too derivative), but Jackman, though he’s the Superman of the bunch, has gone deeper into the alienation than any other mutant in the series. The end of “Logan” is genuinely touching, as Jackman lets you feel the character’s strength and pain, and — finally — his release.

The Hollywood Reporter

Even as the film’s energy drains in the later going, much like Logan’s healing powers, and long after the fight scenes have lapsed into overkill, Jackman makes his superhero the real deal. The actor, who reportedly conceived the basic thrust of the story, takes the ever-conflicted Logan/Wolverine to full-blooded depths, and the result is a far more cohesive and gripping film than his previous collaboration with Mangold, 2013’s The Wolverine.

HeyUGuys

This feels like the Wolverine film Hugh Jackman has always wanted to make. Brutal, raw and emotionally satisfying. Logan is up there with the best comic book movies ever made. Rating: 4 stars out of 5

Still_22_copy.jpg

18 minutes ago, ComicConnoisseur said:

Right now this might be the highest rated super hero movie ever on Rotten Tomatoes?

And it keeps being compared to The Dark Knight and Terminator 2 for some reason. Caught that with more than one critic.

Looks like Marvel long-time artists are all-in on this Fox production.

Logan Shows Off 6 Incredible Posters

With such a blockbuster, you naturally expect the studio to go all out on marketing and promotion, and for the especially hardcore Logan/X-Men fans out there, there are six special posters being released that you have the opportunity to obtain.

• Art Adams at Cinemark 20 and xD in El Paso, Texas
  • Nate Powell at Regal Spotlight Stadium 14 in Norman, Oklahoma
  • Becky Cloonon at Warren East in Wichita, Kansas
  • Jeff Lemire at Grand Island 7 in Grand Island, Nebraska
  • Babs Tarr at Carmike 10 in Rapid City, South Dakota
  • Bill Sienkiewicz at the Grand 6 in Williston, North Dakota

b91c36eed85e64b2d1acd7d89cebbc8e09951f63

Is Fox Adding Secret Post-Credits Scene to Logan?

As pointed out by Mike Sampson, Fox has extended the runtime for Logan, leading to speculation that a post-credit scene has been added. So far, only press screenings of the film have been made public, none of which contained a post-credits scene — which suggests that if something has been added, it won’t be in the film until Logan hits theaters.

Earlier this month, Screen Rant reported that the runtime for Logan was 135 minutes, which was the time given for its premiere at the Berlin Film Festival. According to Sampson, the film’s runtime has now changed to 140.34 minutes, and earlier today Sampson tweeted that the film had added on three additional minutes. Five minutes or three, either way it’s the right amount of time to accommodate a post-credits sequence.

Cable? Mister Sinister - and why the Pierce Brosnan photos with Hugh Jackman and Ryan Reynolds?

Edited by Bosco685

Dang!

Hugh Jackman Speaks On The End Of His Run As Wolverine

James Mangold's Logan premiered to rave reviews yesterday at the Berlin International Film Festival, masterfully closing the door on Hugh Jackman's legendary run as Wolverine, but with rumors about a potential team-up swirling, it's hard not to wonder: is this really the end?

“When I had the --script, I was like, ‘Yes... And when I was shooting the movie, yes. As I sit here today, yes." Jackman told the New York Times, in a recent profile, before continuing: "God knows how I’ll feel in three years, But right now, absolutely.”

In a separate interview with Fandango, Jackman reaffirmed that this will indeed be his last outing:

"I'm out" and that he, unfortunately, has no current plans to reprise his iconic role for any special team-up movie with Ryan Reynolds' fan-favorite Merc with a Mouth: "That's probably bad timing because I love Ryan Reynolds and I love Deadpool, but I knew I was out and I couldn't have made this movie if I was questioning if I was out. I was a pain in the for a lot of people with this movie because it mattered so much to me. Even when we started writing this, and even when I asked James Mangold to come on board, I said 'Dude, I don't know if I'm gonna make it.' Unless it's exactly what I want, I prefer to not do it. I couldn't live with it. So this is it."

Edited by Bosco685

29 minutes ago, fastballspecial said:

What I like most is the reviews aren't giving the movie away which I love.

The reviews have been so positive a couple are even saying this might be the first SH film nominated for an Oscar best pic. How cool would that be. Can't wait to see it.

That would be so cool!

Also does anybody know if 

Spoiler

Liev Schreiber is in this as Sabre-tooth?