• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fox Studios' WOLVERINE 3 - LOGAN starring Hugh Jackman (2017)
8 8

1,131 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Crimebuster said:

The movie starts on a down note, continues on a down note for 2 hours, and then ends on a down note. It's like an entire down symphony. 

It's very well done. But yeah, this is not one I would want to go see again, unlike Guardians or the first Iron Man. 

Amen, hands down one of the most depressing movies I've seen in a long time.  I should have added even though the movie is depressing as ,  Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart are off the charts. Mangold's directing is top notch as well. 

Edited by spideyfan68
better explanation

2 hours ago, Crimebuster said:

The movie starts on a down note, continues on a down note for 2 hours, and then ends on a down note. It's like an entire down symphony. 

It's very well done. But yeah, this is not one I would want to go see again, unlike Guardians or the first Iron Man. 

It's funny, I was really excited to see this film. I still am, but I think the excitement is slowly being replaced with hesitation, mainly due to all of the comments about this film being such a downer. I don't see movies to feel sad afterwards. 

Edited by Darkowl

thought this movie was great.  not every movie has to be cheery to be good or enjoyable.  You don't have to follow the marvel studios theme (although I do love that too).  If DC struck this tone with a good story and solid editing, they would have done much better.  It wasn't the dark tone with those movies that hurt them the most, but the dark tone amplified all the other problems.

42 minutes ago, revat said:

thought this movie was great.  not every movie has to be cheery to be good or enjoyable. 

So true. I felt exhausted after watching Buried, but that was one hell of a movie. Lots of other movies come to mind that I really enjoyed that didn't have the cheeriest ending. I can see what other mean when they say they won't watch Logan again. Some movies require too much of your emotional focus.

Edited by Darkowl

9 hours ago, Ken Aldred said:

I actually don't mind dark and intense films as long as they're well-paced, well-acted and have a good story and a bit of variety.  That will tend to pull me back for repeat viewings if I get the Blu-ray.

Looking back at the criteria I listed here, many would say that, unlike Wolverine 3,  the only attribute possessed by the Batman vs Superman Ultimate Edition is 'dark and intense', and I really like that film.  So, I'm fairly confident I'll rate this one even more highly.

Edited by Ken Aldred

Thought it was just ok. Antagonists were generic. X24 = stupid. X23 was FANTASTIC, best part of the movie. 2nd half of the movie was better than the 1st. Fight scenes were great, but mean very little when the villains are so generic and blah.

Edited by dpiercy

4 hours ago, spideyfan68 said:

Amen, hands down one of the most depressing movies I've seen in a long time.  I should have added even though the movie is depressing as ,  Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart are off the charts. Mangold's directing is top notch as well. 

I couldn't clap because I was crying. I don't know what I was sadder about, the the tearjerker end, or the fact that they made that gorgeous man look so bad.

Acting was good, but it was super dark, bloody and depressing. I might have to go watch Deadpool again to cheer up...or Guardians of the Galaxy...or maybe Terms of Endearment (if you have not seen that one,that's a joke, I could never sit through that one without sobbing;) 

I went with two non comic friends and 1 non comic husband. We almost always go together (the 4 of us) to see the Super Hero movies, no one loved this one, but they all said it was OK.

Edited by skypinkblu
took out the extra words

29 minutes ago, skypinkblu said:

I couldn't clap because I was crying. I don't know what I was sadder about, the the tearjerker end, or the fact that they made that gorgeous man look so bad.

Acting was good, but it was super dark, bloody and depressing. I might have to go watch Deadpool again to cheer up...or Guardians of the Galaxy...or maybe Terms of Endearment (if you have not seen that one,that's a joke, I could never sit through that one without sobbing;) 

I went with two non comic friends and 1 non comic husband. We almost always go together (the 4 of us) to see the Super Hero movies, no one loved this one, but they said they said it was OK.

I refuse to see Old Yella. I can't take sad movies:o

Just got back, and that movie was OUTSTANDING!

Heck...

Spoiler

When X-23 turned the cross on Logan's grave into an 'X' some guy busted out crying.

Wait a minute. I think that was behind me.

hm

:blush:

1 hour ago, Ken Aldred said:

Looking back at the criteria I listed here, many would say that, unlike Wolverine 3,  the only attribute possessed by the Batman vs Superman Ultimate Edition is 'dark and intense', and I really like that film.  So, I'm fairly confident I'll rate this one even more highly.

Even though there are dark tones, there is also plenty to reflect on in the way of caring for family and friends and the message of taking time to enjoy moments in life versus allowing it to drag you down.

Not sure what positives people didn't see in this movie, as there are definite moments that will grab you. But also loads of action and violence.

1 hour ago, skypinkblu said:

On the basis of what's been expressed in this thread, I'm expecting it to be Scandinavia's biggest film of 2017, Sharon.

5 hours ago, Bosco685 said:

Even though there are dark tones, there is also plenty to reflect on in the way of caring for family and friends and the message of taking time to enjoy moments in life versus allowing it to drag you down.

Not sure what positives people didn't see in this movie, as there are definite moments that will grab you. But also loads of action and violence.

Bosco, you're spot on!

I just got done watching the film, and thought it was brilliant. There is a very positive message this film delivers that hasnt been discussed much, but I'm glad to see that you mentioned it. This movie is just like life In the sense that our perspective can determine our happiness, and that there's always hope, even in our darkest moments. That's  the message that I got from this film. And yes, I cried at the end. Now I'm having a difficult time grasping the notion of Hugh Jackman never playing Wolverine again. 

Edited by Darkowl

In reflecting on the final villain Logan has to deal with to protect the helpless...

Spoiler

mutant children, I took it as Logan finally taking on his greatest threat - his berserker self, out-of-control and killing mindlessly. At first I wasn't sure how this would go over. But once I realized where Mangold was taking us, it came across fantastic. And seeing X-23 take out X-24 with the Adamantium bullet Logan meant for himself, it was like her finally bringing and end to his berserker side, and showing him the family he missed out on.

22 hours ago, 1Cool said:

Thought I heard his voice in the beginning.

I agree with you re: Stan's voice.