• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valiant first appearances (quick version for beginners) Now with pictures!
2 2

1,097 posts in this topic

I like the idea of "total market cap" as one way of evaluating books (and momentum).

Greg pointed out that at $845 per, Harbinger 1 9.8's theoretical market cap is $114,000.

At $87 per and 1,872 copies, Spawn 1's 9.8 market cap is just shy of $163,000.

At $208 per and 1,090, ASM 361's 9.8 cap's at over $225,000.

Other obvious contenders?

I think the market cap idea is flawed because, unlike stocks, we're not talking about something that is as liquid and fungible. True, a hot book is going to be more liquid than a common book, but not nearly as liquid as stocks (ignoring penny stocks on minor exchanges). True as well that professional grading increases the fungibility somewhat, but there are still people that will scrutinize wraps, or avoid certain sellers, etc.

I like the idea of "total market cap" as one way of evaluating books (and momentum).

Greg pointed out that at $845 per, Harbinger 1 9.8's theoretical market cap is $114,000.

I think the market cap idea is flawed because, unlike stocks, we're not talking about something that is as liquid and fungible. True, a hot book is going to be more liquid than a common book, but not nearly as liquid as stocks (ignoring penny stocks on minor exchanges). True as well that professional grading increases the fungibility somewhat, but there are still people that will scrutinize wraps, or avoid certain sellers, etc.

I think it's flawed too, but it does represent something we act upon when it comes to the market.

We want to know two things... what's the price and how common is the book?

We check the sales and we check the census. Then we bid what we think is fair based upon BOTH pieces of info.

(We also take the wrap, presentation, etc., into consideration, but those aren't numbers we can all see. They're subjective.)

It's not possible to purchase every graded copy of popular books, but it is possible to take those average sale prices and multiply by the census population.

"Total market value" isn't a practical concept... but it may still be a useful one.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard someone say

"Look at that! XYZ stock is only $5 a share... I thought they were a good company!?"

The share price isn't nearly as important as the number of shares multiplied by the share price.

We focus on the comic price and we talk about the census... but you get a better view of the "whole thing" if you actually calculate "the whole thing".

Like I stated earlier, Solar 10 has actually passed Harbinger 1 in terms of value in 9.8.

Also considering the print run and availability I would argue that the most valuable book from 1992 has turned into ASM 361. Which is clearing over $200 for 9.8 copies and probably had at least 5 times the print run.

Two copies of Harbinger #1 in 9.8 sold for $845 and $600 in the last few weeks.

I think it's safe to say that Harby #1 is back in the top spot again, at least for now.

I think it's flawed too, but it does represent something we act upon when it comes to the market.

We want to know two things... what's the price and how common is the book?

We check the sales and we check the census. Then we bid what we think is fair based upon BOTH pieces of info.

(We also take the wrap, presentation, etc., into consideration, but those aren't numbers we can all see. They're subjective.)

It's not possible to purchase every graded copy of popular books, but it is possible to take those average sale prices and multiply by the census population.

"Total market value" isn't a practical concept... but it may still be a useful one.

I can't tell you how many times I've heard someone say

"Look at that! XYZ stock is only $5 a share... I thought they were a good company!?"

The share price isn't nearly as important as the number of shares multiplied by the share price.

We focus on the comic price and we talk about the census... but you get a better view of the "whole thing" if you actually calculate "the whole thing".

Okay, but even market cap is not as important in determining a fair value for a stock. I'd say some combo of earnings per share and growth projection is far more important.

But isn't the whole point about this Valiant thread exactly about growth projection?

Whether the March increases are sustainable depend on a number of factors -- and I think the biggest one is attention span.

Who will be chasing Valiants at these new prices in September when we're 6 or 7 hot new Marvel / DC movie announcements down the road?

Hawkgirl and Killer Croc were announced this week alone. I'd wager there are fewer people chasing books like Detective 474 or Shazam 28 than there were six months ago because there are greener pastors to be cultivated. Obscure Flash or Batman villains yet to appear on the TV show, or the next Walking Dead speculation.

Right now we're in a holding pattern. It's akin to holding a biotech or pharmaceutical stock -- phase 1 trials were the investment announcement. Phase 2 may be announcements of a director & actors cast. FDA approval (and the biggest pop) would be an actual trailer.

Well, we probably should include the Signature Series 9.8s with the Universal 9.8 counts.

Obviously, the signature normally adds value above the Universal, but to keep it simple, you might just use the Universal 9.8 value for both types.

Here are the 1992 counts for Universal 9.8 plus Signature 9.8 (or higher):

Spawn 1 = 2,265

Amazing Spider-Man 361 = 1,209

Superman: The Man of Steel 18 = 964

Amazing Spider-Man 362 = 911

Amazing Spider-Man 363 = 643

X-Men 4 = 481

X-O Manowar 1 = 369

Wolverine 50 = 283

Rai 0 = 282

Spider-Man 2099 1 = 266

Amazing Spider-Man 365 = 262

Punisher: War Zone 1 = 259

Spawn 2 = 247

Iron Man 282 = 243

X-Force 11 = 220

Rai 1 = 219

Harbinger 0 Pink Variant = 207

Uncanny X-Men 284 = 195

Spider-Man 26 = 193

Spawn 4 = 185

Shadowman 1 = 181

Uncanny X-Men 288 = 181

Superman 74 = 173

WildC.A.T.S. 1 = 154

Spawn 3 = 152

Rai 3 = 151

Unity 1 Gold Edition = 149

Harbinger 1 = 143

I kept the list going until I got to Harbinger #1 (it's 28th).

Thank you for this list.

I suspected that Valiants comprised some of the most-slabbed books of 1992. This list confirms that 4 of the top 20 most common books in 9.8 are Valiants.

A notable omission is EW 4, which may simply point to its relative rarity. As stated before, I'd prefer EW 4 to Rai 0.

This also demonstrates that Rai 4 is indeed harder to find in grade than Rai 3.

Well, we probably should include the Signature Series 9.8s with the Universal 9.8 counts.

Obviously, the signature normally adds value above the Universal, but to keep it simple, you might just use the Universal 9.8 value for both types.

Spawn 1 = 2,265

X-Men 4 = 481

X-O Manowar 1 = 369

Wolverine 50 = 283

Rai 0 = 282

Spider-Man 2099 1 = 266

Spawn 2 = 247

Iron Man 282 = 243

X-Force 11 = 220

Rai 1 = 219

Uncanny X-Men 284 = 195

Spider-Man 26 = 193

Spawn 4 = 185

Shadowman 1 = 181

Uncanny X-Men 288 = 181

Superman 74 = 173

WildC.A.T.S. 1 = 154

Spawn 3 = 152

Rai 3 = 151

Harbinger 1 = 143

Thank you for this list.

I suspected that Valiants comprised some of the most-slabbed books of 1992. This list confirms that 4 of the top 20 most common books in 9.8 are Valiants.

A notable omission is EW 4, which may simply point to its relative rarity. As stated before, I'd prefer EW 4 to Rai 0.

That's correct as far as the census goes. Rai 3 has 151 total 9.8s whereas Rai 4 only has 77.

Thank you for this list.

That's correct as far as the census goes. Rai 3 has 151 total 9.8s whereas Rai 4 only has 77.

But it is better to remember you can't always use the census to judge how tough a book is just because of submission counts. Many people submit based on perceived value and sales potential.

If the rumor was Rai 3 was the tougher book to track down, and therefore worth more money, sellers are going to submit more Rai 3's for resale reasons when they find a sharp example.

Spawn 1 = 2,265

X-Men 4 = 481

X-O Manowar 1 = 369

Wolverine 50 = 283

Rai 0 = 282

Spider-Man 2099 1 = 266

Spawn 2 = 247

Iron Man 282 = 243

X-Force 11 = 220

Rai 1 = 219

Uncanny X-Men 284 = 195

Spider-Man 26 = 193

Spawn 4 = 185

Shadowman 1 = 181

Uncanny X-Men 288 = 181

Superman 74 = 173

WildC.A.T.S. 1 = 154

Spawn 3 = 152

Rai 3 = 151

Harbinger 1 = 143

Thank you for this list.

Here's the % graded as 9.8 for 1992 books (ordered by the most 9.8s):

Spawn 1 = 2,265 (55%)

Amazing Spider-Man 361 = 1,209 (36%)

Superman: The Man of Steel 18 = 964 (65%)

Amazing Spider-Man 362 = 911 (70%)

Amazing Spider-Man 363 = 643 (65%)

X-Men 4 = 481 (79%)

X-O Manowar 1 = 369 (60%)

Wolverine 50 = 283 (57%)

Rai 0 = 282 (58%)

Spider-Man 2099 1 = 266 (74%)

Amazing Spider-Man 365 = 262 (44%)

Punisher: War Zone 1 = 259 (84%)

Spawn 2 = 247 (49%)

Iron Man 282 = 243 (48%)

X-Force 11 = 220 (79%)

Rai 1 = 219 (62%)

Harbinger 0 Pink Variant = 207 (44%)

Uncanny X-Men 284 = 195 (86%)

Spider-Man 26 = 193 (71%)

Spawn 4 = 185 (54%)

Shadowman 1 = 181 (62%)

Uncanny X-Men 288 = 181 (90%)

Superman 74 = 173 (69%)

WildC.A.T.S. 1 = 154 (57%)

Spawn 3 = 152 (56%)

Rai 3 = 151 (48%)

Unity 1 Gold Edition = 149 (71%)

Harbinger 1 = 143 (19%)

Rai 4 = 76 (27%)

...comes it at #74

Solar, Man of the Atom 10 = 55 (14%)

...comes in at #107

Phew; nearly had a minor heart attack.

I bought 3 Harbinger 1's from the same stash of comics, all together in a single bag. I went back today to check condition -- and coupons -- and I opened the first one to see the coupon was cut. My dreams of retiring early were crushed. I was sure I checked these before.

Fortunately, the other 2 still had the coupons; I guess I only looked at one for the coupon and assumed that they were all there.

I saw someone mention a common production flaw on the bottom staple; anyone have a pic/scan of what that looks like?

Thanks.

Phew; nearly had a minor heart attack.

I bought 3 Harbinger 1's from the same stash of comics, all together in a single bag. I went back today to check condition -- and coupons -- and I opened the first one to see the coupon was cut. My dreams of retiring early were crushed. I was sure I checked these before.

Fortunately, the other 2 still had the coupons; I guess I only looked at one for the coupon and assumed that they were all there.

I saw someone mention a common production flaw on the bottom staple; anyone have a pic/scan of what that looks like?

Thanks.

The common production flaw is all along the spine. The paper splits easily, which often occurs near the cuts (top and bottom) or the punctures (at the staples).

Some random tidbits.

RMA is a genius for having the patience to hold on to that SS Harb 1 9.8 slab as I would have not.

As a reference point you have to remember the submission climate of Harb 1's 7-9 years ago. I knew a bunch of folks, myself included, who would sub multiple copies, pre-screen, etc. and would at best get a 9.6 or fail the pre-screen.

This was a comic which by no means was suffering from a lack of "try." I don't know what changed all of a sudden in the last few years as certainly there was pressing/cleaning capability during this entire period, but here we are and I personally would have bet serious coin that we would never see the 9.8 census that currently exists for Harb 1 in 9.8.

You could cite that market top transaction of $2500 as a catalyst but however all of these now 9.8 comics ended up showing up either from hoarded stashes, forgotten supply, or pressed 9.6/9.4 resubs, we will never be able to really quantify.

But given the lack of supply on ebay and other venues of Harb #1 CGC 9.8, regardless of current census, it only takes a few well capitalized speculators and predicting the top is fruitless. I would predict that we see some purchases in the $1K range if current lack of supply holds.

This phenom was similar to BA Star Wars #1 in CGC 9.8. For years and years you could buy one on any day for between $390-$480. Even after Disney/George Lucas buyout announced no uptick. When the first SW movie trailer hit, the price took off. Now these slabs are fetching $2K.

Anyone tracking RAI 0 CGC 9.8? There were recent sells in the $40 range only a few months ago. Not to mention this has always been available in big supply for years on the cheap. Just last week, one sold for in a bidding style auction $182.50 That is a huge multiple of 450%+

This is going to be a great time for Valiant; speculators and fans alike. Everyone enjoy the ride.

Some random tidbits.

RMA is a genius for having the patience to hold on to that SS Harb 1 9.8 slab as I would have not.

As a reference point you have to remember the submission climate of Harb 1's 7-9 years ago. I knew a bunch of folks, myself included, who would sub multiple copies, pre-screen, etc. and would at best get a 9.6 or fail the pre-screen.

This was a comic which by no means was suffering from a lack of "try." I don't know what changed all of a sudden in the last few years as certainly there was pressing/cleaning capability during this entire period, but here we are and I personally would have bet serious coin that we would never see the 9.8 census that currently exists for Harb 1 in 9.8.

You could cite that market top transaction of $2500 as a catalyst but however all of these now 9.8 comics ended up showing up either from hoarded stashes, forgotten supply, or pressed 9.6/9.4 resubs, we will never be able to really quantify.

But given the lack of supply on ebay and other venues of Harb #1 CGC 9.8, regardless of current census, it only takes a few well capitalized speculators and predicting the top is fruitless. I would predict that we see some purchases in the $1K range if current lack of supply holds.

This phenom was similar to BA Star Wars #1 in CGC 9.8. For years and years you could buy one on any day for between $390-$480. Even after Disney/George Lucas buyout announced no uptick. When the first SW movie trailer hit, the price took off. Now these slabs are fetching $2K.

Anyone tracking RAI 0 CGC 9.8? There were recent sells in the $40 range only a few months ago. Not to mention this has always been available in big supply for years on the cheap. Just last week, one sold for in a bidding style auction $182.50 That is a huge multiple of 450%+

This is going to be a great time for Valiant; speculators and fans alike. Everyone enjoy the ride.

I have personally submitted something approaching a hundred copies of H1. I have never received a 9.8. I believe the 9.8 I have in my Master Set was purchased already graded.

Some random tidbits.

I have personally submitted something approaching a hundred copies of H1. I have never received a 9.8. I believe the 9.8 I have in my Master Set was purchased already graded.

That is truly mind blowing when you put it in perspective. And imagine someone of your caliber along with some of the experience folks I knew had, who were all collectively cherry picking the best possible candidates. This H1 for years carried the greatest mystique in my opinion of any modern comic. It is too bad we can never know how many of the current 9.8's were cracked/re-subs vs. true new fresh raw candidates.

I stopped actively tracking the census once it broke the 20's. Was there an overnight explosion of population or did it just steadily uptick gradually over the course of months and years? I.E. has the new 9.8 population now tapered off say vs. an increase of 50 over the course of a single year because someone had a gold mine of these tucked away.

Some random tidbits.

My god Chris, with the length of time and depth of your Valiant stock, I thought you would be the one of us that would have had multiple hits on this book in 9.8 :o

Personally, I have only ever submitted 1 copy for certification...came back 9.8 white.

I suppose I just got lucky.

Rather, to the fact that EW #4 hasn't been worth slabbing.

Such an interesting phrase, "in grade"...like "I'm sure", which means "I'm not sure." It means "in HIGH grade", but "high" is omitted.

Anyhoo, no, it just demonstrates that there are more copies of Rai #3 in 9.8 than Rai #4 at the present time. There are very few definitive conclusions that can be drawn from single census snapshots.

I've gotten six.

So far.

Out of 8 subs (one 9.4 SS, and one 9.8 pre-screen reject.)

Don't hate me.

;)

My god Chris, with the length of time and depth of your Valiant stock, I thought you would be the one of us that would have had multiple hits on this book in 9.8 :o

Personally, I have only ever submitted 1 copy for certification...came back 9.8 white.

I suppose I just got lucky.

What the hell am I, chopped liver...?

:shrug:

:D

I've gotten six.

So far.

Out of 8 subs (one 9.4 SS, and one 9.8 pre-screen reject.)

Don't hate me.

;)

How many copies of Harbinger 1 have you held in your hands that had no shot at 9.8?