• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valiant first appearances (quick version for beginners) Now with pictures!
2 2

1,097 posts in this topic

Well, I just hit the jackpot... just picked up 36 90s Valiants for a dollar a piece, the vast majority being pre-Unity. Absolutely thrilled to have found these, especially:

Archer and Armstrong #0

Shadowman #1

Harbinger #1 with card (a couple of tiny spine ticks are the only flaws I can find)

Harbinger #3 with card

Harbinger #4 with card

Eternal Warrior 4,5,6 (all look like 9.8 candidates)

Solar #3 (another 9.8 candidate)

Solar #10 (also appears to be near that 9.8 condition... in all, I picked up 1-10 tonight all in great shape)

X O Manowar #1

X O Manowar #4

My short box of Valiant that I started a few weeks ago is quickly turning into a long box.

Nice grabs. I had similar luck this weekend but nothing huge.

Still have never found an X-O #1 in my recent hunting; sure they're out there somewhere. Would be willing to trade for one....

A portion of my digging on Saturday; the Bloodshot #1 b/c it's a huge part of my earliest comic memories:

photo%202_zpsuscjvcvx.jpg

people are definitely not wanting anything but graded 9.8s....the raw Bloodshot 6's barely sell at all.

Because why pay inflated eBay prices when you can still nab these from the $1.00 bins?? I bet the number of 9.8's goes up once the movie news for Bloodshot gets a trailer.

people are definitely not wanting anything but graded 9.8s....the raw Bloodshot 6's barely sell at all.

This is a lot of phooey . . . lol

I've sold more HG raw Valiants in the last two weeks than ever before, and all at record-breaking prices. Some very pleased customers, too. :acclaim:

Those of you making these wonderful "$1" finds for Valiants should be very grateful. Understand that, unlike many books from the 90's, there have always been people who would happily pay $1 for the books being discussed, in any quantity.

You have 1,000 Solar #3s for $1 each?

Sold.

Done.

No question, other than "could you do 50 cents each if I take them all?"

That's not true of almost any other book, and certainly not of any other company, from the era.

So, that you found them for cheap...be glad one of us didn't get to them first, or they would have been gone.

:cloud9:

Those of you making these wonderful "$1" finds for Valiants should be very grateful. Understand that, unlike many books from the 90's, there have always been people who would happily pay $1 for the books being discussed, in any quantity.

You have 1,000 Solar #3s for $1 each?

Sold.

Done.

No question, other than "could you do 50 cents each if I take them all?"

That's not true of almost any other book, and certainly not of any other company, from the era.

So, that you found them for cheap...be glad one of us didn't get to them first, or they would have been gone.

:cloud9:

:roflmao: so very true though

the $1.00 bins are starting to run dry of desirable Valiant issues.

Agreed I have dug through as many as I could find within 3 hour radius of central Florida. Starting to not be worth the time as they are few and far between now

Did not expect this:

Bloodshot 6 9.8

Time to get grading.

Neither did I, but the person who bought the book from me also bought a bunch of my other Valiant slabs. They have been selling very well lately. I guess it was a good call that I dropped off a short box of Valiants at the Baltimore Comic Con for 9.8 pre-screening. All of these books came back just in time for the movie announcement. :grin:

I just picked up some more VEI (New) books. Rai is so good for those who like his original story in the flip of Magnus 5-8.

I haven't read the new VEI Rai series but I'm going to check it out. I did buy the whole run of X-O Manowar on Comixology last week when they were having a bundle sale. I'd read it through issue 12 or something when it originally came out but dropped it. I started reading again with #23 and it's really good. I also liked the first two issues of Divinity.

so what books are worth grading and what ones aren't from the original Valiant. We all know the major keys but where do you draw the line?

How much dollar amount difference between raw and graded do you consider "worth grading"?

I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

Anything less than a $50 sale is not worth the time and effort to have it slabbed.

It doesn't matter if it's a $1 book otherwise, if you can't sell the slab for at least $50, you are wasting your time, working for less than minimum wage.

Remember: cost to slab = $18 (minus whatever your discount.)

Shipping adds $7-$30 per book for all ways, unless you live in Sarasota and environs.

Then you have the cost of the book. Did you pay $1 for it? $5? $10? That amount, unless someone gave it to you, isn't "nothing."

Then, you have to figure on the packing material, and your time to look over the book to make sure you didn't miss anything.

Then, once you get the slab back, you have to examine it, then scan/picture it, then list it on eBay. Then, you have to answer any questions there may be about it. Then, if it sells, you have to pack the book, print the label, take it to the post office, withdraw your money from Paypal.

And, of course, you've paid about $1.75 to Paypal, and anywhere from $4-$5 to eBay, depending on your discount.

So, that's say, $16 to slab, $7 to ship, $1.75 to Paypal, and $5 to eBay...that's $29.75, minimum, that you have into the book. What's your time worth? Well, the whole process I've just described takes about 2.5 hours total, per book, so you're making roughly $20 on the transaction (assuming you got the book for free), or about $8/hour...provided you maxed out your ship costs by subbing multiple books and whatnot.

And that's assuming there's no correspondence with the buyer.

Worth it...?

I'd say not a chance in hell. I gave up looking for 9.8s for others, because people wanted to pay $35 for a custom 9.8. :screwy: What was the incentive? None. I was working for free.

It's all these people slabbing books they had no business slabbing, and then dumping them on the market at a substantial loss. Now, the market is conditioned to want these books at those costs.

It's madness.

Wow that's a lot to think about. I will think twice now. Thanks for the info.

So with all that said what books would bring more than $50 in 9.8

Again we all know the major keys by now.

Archer & Armstrong #1 ?

Shadowman #16 ?

Eternal warrior #5 ?

Shadowman #10 ?

Quick question. I love the holochrome covers but now worth the space to keep in 9.8 besides the golds. My favorite gold was the ninjak because of the refractor technique used. Did any of the other golds have that or just Ninjak???