• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Valiant first appearances (quick version for beginners) Now with pictures!
2 2

1,097 posts in this topic

The question of "worth slabbing" (in order to sell) seems like a tough one.

What does the math look like?

If I can make $40 profit now with a raw book or I can get the book graded and make $60 profit, is it worth slabbing?

$60 profit is greater than $40 profit, but the question of "now vs. later" and the question of "as-is vs. after-additional-slabbing-costs" seem to be factors that make "worth slabbing" answers somewhat unclear.

$60/$40 is just an example... how is the answer impacted by changing those dollar amounts?

Very good points.

Quick question. I love the holochrome covers but now worth the space to keep in 9.8 besides the golds. My favorite gold was the ninjak because of the refractor technique used. Did any of the other golds have that or just Ninjak???

Just the Ninjak, although there are some nice Image holochromes that have the same thing, as well as variations.

Avengelyne #1, Avengelyne/Glory #1, Darkness #11, Vampirella/Shi, Vampirella/Nyx, Prophet #1 (which is exceptionally rare.)

All sorts.

Quick question. I love the holochrome covers but now worth the space to keep in 9.8 besides the golds. My favorite gold was the ninjak because of the refractor technique used. Did any of the other golds have that or just Ninjak???

Just the Ninjak, although there are some nice Image holochromes that have the same thing, as well as variations.

Avengelyne #1, Avengelyne/Glory #1, Darkness #11, Vampirella/Shi, Vampirella/Nyx, Prophet #1 (which is exceptionally rare.)

All sorts.

Thanks for the info! Not looking for anything besides the valiant ones so that will be easy for me to do since there is just one book like that.

The interesting thing to me as a long time VALIANT collector/hoarder is that some of the books I've looked at as worthless for a long time are now all of the sudden worth something. Sure, I've been pulling pre-Unity and other premium VALIANT out of cheap boxes for years. Books like Bloodshot #6 and #7? Been passing on those for a long time. Same with Shadowman #16. I only recently just starting pulling out copies of Eternal Warrior #4. Shadowman #8 I started hoarding not because I thought Master Darque was ever going to be in a movie, but because I liked the character and the cover was cool.

I just bought a 20 long box collection. There is all kinds of Valiant runs. I didnt see Harbinger 1, but Eternal Warrior 4. I just kinda went through the first stages of breaking the collection down. Marvels, DCs and Indies. It was a OO collection from early to mid 90s. My question for today is, am I better to keep the runs together or break them up for the keys? This is my first time in this thread, Ive heard a little noise about Valiants and now I have some high grade runs of pretty much everything. So break em or keep them in runs?

I just bought a 20 long box collection. There is all kinds of Valiant runs. I didnt see Harbinger 1, but Eternal Warrior 4. I just kinda went through the first stages of breaking the collection down. Marvels, DCs and Indies. It was a OO collection from early to mid 90s. My question for today is, am I better to keep the runs together or break them up for the keys? This is my first time in this thread, Ive heard a little noise about Valiants and now I have some high grade runs of pretty much everything. So break em or keep them in runs?

With the way some of the series (Harbinger) introduced new characters almost every issue (post unity), it is hard to answer this question because we cannot predict, only speculate. Getting old and new Valiant 1st appearances is all we can do for now.

If i were to guess, Bloodshot is the focus because he looks to be the first up for Valiant, and the face being we were told that his movie "would surprise you to know how far along the movie is" according to VEI CEO.

But there will be so many first appearances that may warrant a future key, that I would hoard them. Collect the missing major 1st appearances, and hope when the movie/tv show news breaks, you have a copy or 2.

With the way some of the series (Harbinger) introduced new characters almost every issue (post unity), it is hard to answer this question because we cannot predict, only speculate. Getting old and new Valiant 1st appearances is all we can do for now.

If i were to guess, Bloodshot is the focus because he looks to be the first up for Valiant, and the face being we were told that his movie "would surprise you to know how far along the movie is" according to VEI CEO.

But there will be so many first appearances that may warrant a future key, that I would hoard them. Collect the missing major 1st appearances, and hope when the movie/tv show news breaks, you have a copy or 2.

Hoard them all away and wait for movie news? Sounds good to me.

If you need someone to come take a look at them, let me know. Be glad to do it.

I just got the collection yesterdayI dont even have them sorted in run/by title yet. If you want to come by thats cool. My shop is open every day 12-6 and Sundays 12-3. It appears to be a 50 mile trek so think about it and let me know. Edited by Junkdrawer

I just got the collection yesterdayI dont even have them sorted in run/by title yet. If you want to come by thats cool. My shop is open every day 12-6 and Sundays 12-3. It appears to be a 50 mile trek so think about it and let me know.

Don't be surprised if CKB is at your shop at 11:55am this morning. :grin:

I just got the collection yesterdayI dont even have them sorted in run/by title yet. If you want to come by thats cool. My shop is open every day 12-6 and Sundays 12-3. It appears to be a 50 mile trek so think about it and let me know.

I'm eager but not that eager! (Well, maybe I am but real life intervenes.)

My new company is headquartered in Cambridge and I figure I will be forced to come down there again sooner or later. When that happens I'll give you advance notice. :)

Loving this thread. I to have been hoarding some of the pre-Unity books and have had some graded in the past year. I always liked the characters even though the books did get rather bad towards the end. I too have had some issues with the Harbinger 1 and Solar 10 getting graded. I have about 20 of each and out of those, pulled 2 each to be graded, both came back as 9.6. Got some good ones back though, some Shadowman 1 9.8's, Magnus 5 and 7 9.8's, Eternal Warrior 4 9.8's etc. I had a Harbinger 10 come back as 9.8 and it took me awhile to find one to submit. I submitted, what I thought was a very nice X-O 4, only to get it graded at 9.2, seems to be a tough book to get graded at 9.6 or higher. Anywhooooo, love the thread and the excitement the characters are getting again.

My new company is headquartered in Cambridge and I figure I will be forced to come down there again sooner or later. When that happens I'll give you advance notice. :)

I had little time to mess with the books today, but I did get a chance to yank all the valliants out of the 8 boxes of Indies. I think I got about 2 long boxes of Valiants. 90% 9.8s all day long. I will post a list tomorrow in case there are curious lookers.

I just want a NM RAW of Solar 10 1st print that isn't $30.00. I mean, it's not like it is a Boba Fett Variant cover! Ha!

And a nice NM RAW copy of Rai #1 and #2. I've nabbed everything else 1st appearance wise that I want to pay for and can get back to my other desires.

I had little time to mess with the books today, but I did get a chance to yank all the valliants out of the 8 boxes of Indies. I think I got about 2 long boxes of Valiants. 90% 9.8s all day long. I will post a list tomorrow in case there are curious lookers.

Dude, I wish I had your garage . . . :insane:

I just want a NM RAW of Solar 10 1st print that isn't $30.00. I mean, it's not like it is a Boba Fett Variant cover! Ha!

And a nice NM RAW copy of Rai #1 and #2. I've nabbed everything else 1st appearance wise that I want to pay for and can get back to my other desires.

It's funny because #10 has been absent from both Solar runs I picked up recently. hm

Im fairly certain the true print run for 1st print solar 10 is more on par with solar 9 and solar 11 which puts it in the 40-60k ballpark.

Im just not convinced there are 150k of those floating around.. its just not possible.. and the data for solar 9 and 11 indicate a much lower print run.

so what books are worth grading and what ones aren't from the original Valiant. We all know the major keys but where do you draw the line?

This is basically the gems of Valiant I'd say are worth grading:

Harbinger 1-6 (also 0 if it is pink)

Magnus 0,5,12

XO 1, 4

Rai 0-4

Shadowman 1, 8

Solar 3, 10

Eternal Warrior 4

Archer Armstrong 0

other notables:

Various gold issues, the fabled bloodshot 0 Platinum, last issues in the series like XO 68, shadowman 43. Also the Armorines 1-4 series is legit and vhtf.

then if the Valiant movies and anime become popular we can flood cgc with bloodshot 6,7 archer armstrong 8 etc.. they had like up to 400k print runs..

also dont forget the new modern valiants! maybe the golds are grade worthy?

Im fairly certain the true print run for 1st print solar 10 is more on par with solar 9 and solar 11 which puts it in the 40-60k ballpark.

Im just not convinced there are 150k of those floating around.. its just not possible.. and the data for solar 9 and 11 indicate a much lower print run.

Where did you see someone say the print run for Solar #10 was 150k?

It has been listed as 55,000 for 15 years on the Valiant fans website.

Someone was probably talking about Solar #10 and then talking about Rai #0 because the 150k is right for Rai #0.