• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looks like the next round of HA and CLINK auctions should have some good stuff

326 posts in this topic

Being a casual CAF buyer, I can say that I find there marketplace very confusing and not user friendly.

+1

I do agree Terry yet I think that there really are different scenarios

having your stuff up for a while then changing it from NFS to $$$ amount; I changed one piece from NFS to Maybe and started getting all sorts of requests for price. Made me realize of course I did not want to sell.

If I just got a piece from somewhere and it was not on CAF before then I would not list it there and hope someone saw it without promotion here and elsewhere.

Its frustrating how you can search for pieces by Time Span / Art Type / Status / Media Type

but you cant search the for sale section with those.

As ever the CAF guys have created an amazing thing and we all love it but it was not designed as a sale site; it could likely be a better sale site but since they are not taking a commission why should they bust a nut to create a marketplace unless they benefit. I feel CAF is done for love not money. And thats fine.

I have my list of everyone who has emailed asking to buy my stuff; if/when the time comes I may approach them first and see if they like my unreasonable prices!

It seems that many CAF sellers are using the comicart-l mailing list, it's staggering how many mails I get each day about CAF art for sale. I think I read somewhere that there are 3000-4000 members receiving these mails. I don't know if this is the secret about why it's good to sell on CAF hm - but I think there is a lot of exposure.

Tried to get a great Punisher cover a few days ago, it's was only for sale on CAF, but I was too late - got info about the piece through the comicart-l mailing list (I get 10 - 30 mails from the list each day, hard work to check them all).

As ever the CAF guys have created an amazing thing and we all love it but it was not designed as a sale site; it could likely be a better sale site but since they are not taking a commission why should they bust a nut to create a marketplace unless they benefit. I feel CAF is done for love not money. And thats fine.

One of the things you're asked to list on your CAF postings is the 'For Sale' status on the individual pieces you upload. As such, the facility is built-in and does (imho) double-up as a venue to sell your stuff if you feel so inclined.

The site has, as I say, served me very well - one of the reasons I'm more than happy to pay an annual subscription fee.

just got my first CL win delivered by FedEx! since I was asking how long it took, here's a breakdown for anyone else interested.

the box (Dimensions 24x16x5 in., Weight 2 lbs / 0.91 kgs) was actually ripped open at the bottom & starting to leak cushioned materials. inside the art was between cardboard that seemed a bit crumpled on the sides, but it didn't affect the page. the other 4 pages I've bought have been shipped thinner but sturdier.

6/11 auction ended

6/13 paid by credit card (or maybe late night 6/12)

6/15 Shipment information sent to FedEx

6/17 5:26 pm Picked up SACO, ME

6/20/2015 - Saturday 11:50 am Delivered Pompano Beach, FL

pretty quick! thanks CL! now update your website's usability :)

Why would they upgrade their website? People are still consigning, right? People are still bidding, aren't they?

You know what happens if they upgrade their website? They raise their cut.

Why would they upgrade their website? People are still consigning, right? People are still bidding, aren't they?

You know what happens if they upgrade their website? They raise their cut.

And their website works perfectly even on very old computers (thumbs u (Of course I'm just guessing that there are some/many older men out there who do not upgrade computers often and dislike website changes, so "if it works do not fix it", you know who you are :baiting:;) )

I know one collector who has spent more than $100k on books. He does not even have his own computer but goes to the public library to bid; I would be surprised if he would consider website changes to be anything but an unpleasant cognitive disturbance lol:facepalm:

It seems that many CAF sellers are using the comicart-l mailing list, it's staggering how many mails I get each day about CAF art for sale. I think I read somewhere that there are 3000-4000 members receiving these mails. I don't know if this is the secret about why it's good to sell on CAF hm - but I think there is a lot of exposure.

Tried to get a great Punisher cover a few days ago, it's was only for sale on CAF, but I was too late - got info about the piece through the comicart-l mailing list (I get 10 - 30 mails from the list each day, hard work to check them all).

Are you a CAF premium member? The Premium option has a daily email sent to you with the results from a keyword list you create. Can be of artists comics or other galleries you watch. Its a great service and I have bought a number of pieces using the twice daily email. Also tracks ecay and other auction houses.

I have had VERY good fortune selling items directly to collectors through CAF in the past. Yes, I've also promoted those sales through this forum and some direct emails. But overall, I've found that the people who are looking to buy do frequent CAF. So, even though it's been awhile since I last had a big sale, I decided to post several things for sale there. Granted it was just yesterday morning that I put some things up, but. This time does seem a little different though. The volume of emails I have gotten has been much less than in the past (of course this could be what I have put up). And, while I do sell things not technically for sale from my gallery, and do encourage discussion and or offers, this time around I have been getting truly LOW lowball offers on prime pieces. I realize that always happens, but it usually is a small trickle. Seems like a wave of flea marketing right now. Maybe the market is way off? Maybe the moneyed collectors have gone elsewhere? Maybe you just have to sell at auction now to get any kind of recompense? It is making me take a hard look at my sale. I was going to post all prices this weekend and put several other things up for sale, but I may just pull it all and find another outlet. To me, that is a bit sad as collector to collector sales have always been the backbone of my enjoyment in the hobby. But, all things change I guess. Maybe prices are just too big now for folks to feel comfortable jumping in without an underbidder to pave the way so to speak.?

I've found it helps if you price your art up (discourages lowball offers and potential buyers know up-front, even with some price negotiation, the ball-park figure involved). The kind of 'please enquire' status people like the Donnelly brothers place on their listings is something I've always found very off-putting.

I don't think it helps when the big auction outfits are active at the time you want to sell your own stuff.

Yes, but I'm talking about pieces that are not for sale. I get offers all the time and don't discourage. I've sold many pieces from unsolicited offers in the past so it's ok if collectors contact me regarding any piece even if in my permanent collection. Because you never know. I'm just saying that the offers are getting greater in volume but less in price, even as prices are supposedly rising. That can be frustrating.

Its quite a thing sending in an unsolicited offer; trying not to go too low..or too high

just had one accepted right away; could not help but think darn it I should have offered less.

still I was prepared to go a lot more for it so I should be happy and I am!

I have now signed up for the emails and that has been quite cool to get, so yes I can see how that would work well.

I have had VERY good fortune selling items directly to collectors through CAF in the past. Yes, I've also promoted those sales through this forum and some direct emails. But overall, I've found that the people who are looking to buy do frequent CAF. So, even though it's been awhile since I last had a big sale, I decided to post several things for sale there. Granted it was just yesterday morning that I put some things up, but. This time does seem a little different though. The volume of emails I have gotten has been much less than in the past (of course this could be what I have put up). And, while I do sell things not technically for sale from my gallery, and do encourage discussion and or offers, this time around I have been getting truly LOW lowball offers on prime pieces. I realize that always happens, but it usually is a small trickle. Seems like a wave of flea marketing right now. Maybe the market is way off? Maybe the moneyed collectors have gone elsewhere? Maybe you just have to sell at auction now to get any kind of recompense? It is making me take a hard look at my sale. I was going to post all prices this weekend and put several other things up for sale, but I may just pull it all and find another outlet. To me, that is a bit sad as collector to collector sales have always been the backbone of my enjoyment in the hobby. But, all things change I guess. Maybe prices are just too big now for folks to feel comfortable jumping in without an underbidder to pave the way so to speak.?

I think there is something to that. For whatever reason people seem to just buy at the auction sales now. Perhaps there is so much always available that people feel less urgency to pry something out of someone else's collection? Maybe like Doc Joe they don't want to feel like they may be overpaying ?

It has to be said that when you offer to buy something on someone else's CAF, you really are giving the other guy all the power in the negotiation. Buying at auction is more straightforward, but I agree that its a bummer if collector to collector sales volume is dropping as it would appear.

Its quite a thing sending in an unsolicited offer; trying not to go too low..or too high

just had one accepted right away; could not help but think darn it I should have offered less.

Not always a good idea going in too low with your unsolicited offers.

I had one guy regularly e-mail me about one of my covers over the years. He started off with an insultingly low offer that basically turned-me off to the idea altogether, even when subsequent offers rose to a realistic level . . .

I had one guy regularly e-mail me about one of my covers over the years. He started off with an insultingly low offer that basically turned-me off to the idea altogether, even when offers rose to a realistic level . . .

Exactly, fully agree. Turns out that the guy who had it is some sort of 'dealer' as it were so essentially everything was for sale in their mind. I suspect they did some asking around and were told that's a good price take it.

on an amusing note, I just had the Donnelleys offer me a late issue Rom cover in exchange for my Infantino Star Wars cover !

All I said was not looking to trade or sell at this time; what I wanted to do was say its for sale at $65,000 but because we have done deals in the past I'll go to $64,500. All good?

:roflmao:

For whatever reason people seem to just buy at the auction sales now.

The auctions generate a lot of buzz through the thrill of the hunt (competition) scenario.

Wonder how dealers, with fixed prices, fare nowadays?

I had one guy regularly e-mail me about one of my covers over the years. He started off with an insultingly low offer that basically turned-me off to the idea altogether, even when offers rose to a realistic level . . .

on an amusing note, I just had the Donnelleys offer me a late issue Rom cover in exchange for my Infantino Star Wars cover !

All I said was not looking to trade or sell at this time; what I wanted to do was say its for sale at $65,000 but because we have done deals in the past I'll go to $64,500. All good?

:roflmao:

This has happened to me with Steve Donnelly and I've amused myself with the kind of response you yourself have thought about making . . .