• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looks like the next round of HA and CLINK auctions should have some good stuff

326 posts in this topic

maybe a dumb question, but this was my first win on ComicLink.

I've already paid, do they ship quickly? or is this a wait for a month type deal?

Well you won't be getting it in 4 or 5 days :)

The very first time I ordered from comiclink was back in 2000, Josh held my prepaid bank check for 2 weeks so it could clear...I gave him hell for it.

There is not really a good answer, I have had very fast shipping, but that can be when checking out as soon as the auction is over. I believe it is pretty much first come first serve sort of deal.

You can always wait a week or two then give them a call !

thanks everyone, just curious...

that's kinda what I assumed. just hoping the service isn't as bad as the website! ;)

EDIT: just got FedEx shipment notification. paid on Saturday, shipped Monday, expected delivery from ME to FL by Thursday. not bad!

EDIT2: make that label printer Monday, no further updates.

Congratulations to all buyers and sellers.

I was 0 for 2 and caught looking at a third strike. I put in what I thought was aggressive last minute bids and still left empty handed. Oh well, on to the next auctions.

I believe speculators are buying up anything Kirby to flip in the near future. Even if they are fifth tier works, it's still Kirby.

I like Romita Jr. but hated his work on the X-Men during that run. Dan Green is a decent inker but not the right match up IMHO. JrJr's breakthrough for me was PWZ where he and Klaus first started collaborating. Some of his later covers on x-men were okay though. While I am not a fan, these are 20+ years old so once again, nostalgia is kicking in for an entire generation. XMen was still the best selling title at the time.

Cheers!

N.

Congratulations to all buyers and sellers.

I was 0 for 2 and caught looking at a third strike. I put in what I thought was aggressive last minute bids and still left empty handed. Oh well, on to the next auctions.

I believe speculators are buying up anything Kirby to flip in the near future. Even if they are fifth tier works, it's still Kirby.

I like Romita Jr. but hated his work on the X-Men during that run. Dan Green is a decent inker but not the right match up IMHO. JrJr's breakthrough for me was PWZ where he and Klaus first started collaborating. Some of his later covers on x-men were okay though. While I am not a fan, these are 20+ years old so once again, nostalgia is kicking in for an entire generation. XMen was still the best selling title at the time.

Cheers!

N.

I was out bid on the one Kirby page I was after, I did notice the tales to astonish with nick fury seemed to go cheap@ 1200....wasn't the greatest page but early and a lot less than things like devil dinosaur, omac, and kamandi pages have been going for lately. The Kirby market does seem to be sputtering upwards with the occasional thing slipping through.

There is not really a good answer, I have had very fast shipping, but that can be when checking out as soon as the auction is over. I believe it is pretty much first come first serve sort of deal.

You can always wait a week or two then give them a call !

thanks everyone, just curious...

that's kinda what I assumed. just hoping the service isn't as bad as the website! ;)

EDIT: just got FedEx shipment notification. paid on Saturday, shipped Monday, expected delivery from ME to FL by Thursday. not bad!

Very cool. What'd you wind up getting?

I bid on one item and got it cheap!

The OA for the cover of the first comic I ever bought my daughters was on the CL auction and I won it! Even better, it was pretty cheap ($181). Dan DeCarlo doesn't get much demand, I guess.

I wasn't planning to even look at the auction because I've blown my budget for the year, but I was in the Netherlands on business and had nothing to do the day before the auction ended. So, I scrolled down the list and was surprised to see it. I'll post it when I get it from CL.

The OA for the cover of the first comic I every bought my daughters was on the CL auction and I won it!

That's really special! It's obvious to most of us that follow your posts that the Archie-daughters connection is a big part of your comic/comic art life...wotta score!!! I'm happy for you guys :)

The Kieth Hulk at 3900 was impressive. The McFarlane/Pennington seemed a bargain. I was surprised by the Liefeld - not the Deadpool page that hit 3k, but the NM91 Cable that beat it at 3600. Haven't seen that before. Go Cable.

Overall some interesting prices and deals.

I 4000th the notion that the CL interface needs an upgrade.

underbidder on both, quite annoyed not to win

I was the Seller on the Hulk Piece. Its funny, I offered it for 3500 straight up cash and was laughed at. CL just for some reason gets the bids, even after fees im finding its more profitable to sell with them then directly.

The Kieth Hulk at 3900 was impressive. The McFarlane/Pennington seemed a bargain. I was surprised by the Liefeld - not the Deadpool page that hit 3k, but the NM91 Cable that beat it at 3600. Haven't seen that before. Go Cable.

I was the Seller on the Hulk Piece. Its funny, I offered it for 3500 straight up cash and was laughed at. CL just for some reason gets the bids, even after fees im finding its more profitable to sell with them then directly.

I think auctions have that effect, there are many things that I first put for sale on CAF that gets no bites, but when I do my ebay 1 cent thing, the final price exceeds my CAF price, even after accounting for fees (of course for some items, it ends below my CAF asking price)

When something is just straight for sale, unless it's a bargain that will be snapped up by others soon, most people do not feel compelled to act. But when its for auction, they know that if they do not bid someone else will get it so that forces them to bid, often bidding beyond what they thought was a fair price just to get it.

Malvin

I think auctions have that effect, there are many things that I first put for sale on CAF that gets no bites, but when I do my ebay 1 cent thing, the final price exceeds my CAF price, even after accounting for fees (of course for some items, it ends below my CAF asking price)

When something is just straight for sale, unless it's a bargain that will be snapped up by others soon, most people do not feel compelled to act. But when its for auction, they know that if they do not bid someone else will get it so that forces them to bid, often bidding beyond what they thought was a fair price just to get it.

Malvin

I agree, and would add that in many cases people won't act "unless it's a bargain they're 110% certain will be snapped by others (the same day or sooner) and they have all the cash for the item sitting around doing nothing.

Timidity sometimes plays as big a part as over-exuberance.

"You mean it's for sale online for a fixed price? Then it can't possibly be worth that!"

Sorry but CAF seems like an atrocious place to try and sell things. I don't know why you would list there and expect to get a decent audience??

Fine if you post your piece and it has for sale on there; great someone may see it if it happens to be on the first page of new art. But if they check in 8 minutes later then its on page two and so on.

Its not set up at all as a market place; the for sale search function is hopeless.

It means you have to actively know what you are looking for as opposed to just looking around and seeing if something grabs you. Equally you have to rely on the seller putting your search terms in their title which is a carp shoot.

New art for sale will show you the last 12 items listed, then how are you supposed to get your item any screen time? Not to mention continued reposting by the Donnelys .

Then if you search for new art and just list by the most recent date its a festival of commissions and the usual dealers.

I would have purchased that piece in a heartbeat; if you list it on CAF there is no way I am going to see it.

Why not look for people on CAF with a similar piece and then approach them directly if they would want another? Or people that commented on your piece; see if they are interested.

Listing on CAF for a new item for sale seems to me to be a terrible idea.

Someone please tell me why I am wrong.

Sorry but CAF seems like an atrocious place to try and sell things. I don't know why you would list there and expect to get a decent audience??

Fine if you post your piece and it has for sale on there; great someone may see it if it happens to be on the first page of new art. But if they check in 8 minutes later then its on page two and so on.

Its not set up at all as a market place; the for sale search function is hopeless.

It means you have to actively know what you are looking for as opposed to just looking around and seeing if something grabs you. Equally you have to rely on the seller putting your search terms in their title which is a carp shoot.

New art for sale will show you the last 12 items listed, then how are you supposed to get your item any screen time? Not to mention continued reposting by the Donnelys .

Then if you search for new art and just list by the most recent date its a festival of commissions and the usual dealers.

I would have purchased that piece in a heartbeat; if you list it on CAF there is no way I am going to see it.

Why not look for people on CAF with a similar piece and then approach them directly if they would want another? Or people that commented on your piece; see if they are interested.

I think it depends on how good the piece is and how quickly you want to sell it.

If you're in a hurry to sell a weak piece, then yeah, CAF won't be a good location and eBay would do you better.

But if you have an awesome piece, they can sell in minutes or hours on CAF. It is a much richer lead. And enough people have wantlist searches emailing them twice daily that a lot of great art sells quick and we never even see it. And CAF is 0%.

It definitely depends on timeframe, as well as how well you know the market

If you are not in a hurry, and you know how much its worth, nothing wrong with selling it on CAF by listing it for what it would sell for on ebay and avoid the fees. As I've said, sometimes it just sits though.

Malvin

Hi Joe

If relying solely on CAF, you may well have a point.

Speaking personally, CAF sale-offerings have always done very well for me (and is currently funding my early retirement at the end of July). However, I use CAF more as a focal point for what I have to sell - backed-up by plugs on things like the Marketplace section of these CGC Forums, mentions on the Comicart-l and individual CAF notifications sent to collectors of the type of material I have to offer.

CAF sales, over the past ten years has netted me a big chunk of life-changing money, so I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the idea if I were you.

As I suggest, you need to promote the stuff you want to sell on CAF . . .