• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Looks like the next round of HA and CLINK auctions should have some good stuff

326 posts in this topic

Jeez, the Romita ASM #69 page is already over 33K.

Whoa! :o

It's an awesome page though!

It is gorgeous.

That is the piece I would take in this auction if I had the $$$$.

The FF Kirby was my #2 pick.

It only sold 6 years ago for 19k according to Heritage.

This stuff is compounding at like 20%

:o

Geez, I was 0-29. I don't normally bid on a huge amount of pieces, but there were some nicer B level ones that I thought I might have chance on. The surprise for me was the Pepoy Afterlife with Archie #8 going for $2500. I think the reserve was $1500 too. Being a huge Archie fan, I was really intrigued by that cover, but even at the reserve, that was way too much for me to pay for a Pepoy. lol

Actually, I was surprised by that Archie cover too. I know Zombies are hot, but Archie art normally doesn't sell well.

I won 2 pieces, I wasn't after anything hard, but had my eye on a few and would bid depending on how it was doing. I think Yoram's Jedi mind trick worked on me. I won the Year 3 page he pointed out, and also won the Keown Hulk 340 homage sketch.

I was also after the Greg Land Wolverine cover. Love Mark Millar's run o that, came close but not close enough. Also thought I had a shot at the Zeck Punisher based on what it was sitting, but looking at how it ended, I never stood a chance :)

Malvin

Was 1 for 2 on a couple of Kelley Jones pieces. Got the minor one, but the other page... well, somebody really wanted it, and paid cray-cray money to snipe it away from me.

Really? Ok. (shrug) an annoyance is all. Hope whoever really loves their absurdly, absurdly overpriced page.

Hey, Reuben on comic art-L just pointed out that this piece is a horrific fake that sold for 5K. I never looked at it because I don't do recreations, but yikes:

https://www.comiclink.com/auctions/item.asp?back=%2FAuctions%2Fdefault.asp%3FFocused%3D1%23Item_1062986&id=1062986

I think it's fake too. But even if it wasn't...UGLY.

Who'd want it, for any money, even if Herb did it??? Ruben's rant is dead on. Caveat emptor. $1 for the paper it's on and $4,999.00 stupidity premium is what is being paid here. And yes, shame on ComicLink for accepting the consignment (unless there's some really good backup that wasn't made public.)

An interesting auction to say the least, with lots of consignors feeling the need to advertise their auctions. I don't see that sort of activity going on with the Heritage auctions so are the consignors more nervous about the low prices at the time of Clink's closing an feel they have to direct collectors to their listings? (shrug)

On another note, this auction proved to me that I don't understand the OA market at all. Just when I think I've got it figured out, I see numerous things sell for a pittance, while other more desirable items sell for STOOPID money (well, stooped to me). There are too many examples to cite here, but if you've been around the block a few times, I'm sure you can find plenty of examples for yourself.

I will say this:

1. Kirby art, no matter how fugly, has followers. There was some uuuuuugly Kirby in this auction, and they all sold for strong prices. I'm talking fourth and fifth tier Kirby

2. Miller Elektra cover. I thought there would have been more discussion, more hype, and a significantly higher closing price so what happened with this one?

3. Clink really, really needs to upgrade their auction features and format to make it a more user-friendly experience. There's been threads on this topic before, but its really becoming a hindrance to buyers and sellers alike

4. Congrats to the winner of the killer Romita Sr ASM page! :golfclap:

On another note, this auction proved to me that I don't understand the OA market at all. Just when I think I've got it figured out, I see numerous things sell for a pittance, while other more desirable items sell for STOOPID money (well, stooped to me).

+1

I live in Europe, got my trusty cell phone to wake me 2:30 AM only to see that the John Carter cover and the Wytches variant cover (yes, I actually like that one, never expected it to go beyond 1k) had reached higher prices than I was willing to pay.

And I was thinking that these pieces would be relatively easy to acquire :insane:

Maybe the long exposure time worked to the sellers' advantage hm

1. Kirby art, no matter how fugly, has followers. There was some uuuuuugly Kirby in this auction, and they all sold for strong prices. I'm talking fourth and fifth tier Kirby

It seems like Kirby has become the one to have no matter what it is he has put out. Just like Picasso, it doesn't matter how good or bad it is, you now own a piece of his work. Of course since his name is so recognizable in our collecting world it wouldn't surprise me that some people see these as future investments and will flip these in 10 years or so... (shrug)

3. Clink really, really needs to upgrade their auction features and format to make it a more user-friendly experience. There's been threads on this topic before, but its really becoming a hindrance to buyers and sellers alike

First time bidding in Clink (I really, really can't stand their outdated GUI!) and scored 2 out of 3 with hardly any effort at all! Placed my max bids over a week ago and just let it ride. And, BAM! I am one lucky SOB! :)

yes, yes, a thousand times yes!

the site is so backwards & doesn't work well. I'm not even talking about how it looks, just the functionality. I'd almost be happier paying HA's high 19.5% Buyer's Premium. yeesh!

the good news, I got the piece I was gunning for. but I'd have gone for 2-3 others if the CL site had behaved.

I think it's fake too. But even if it wasn't...UGLY.

Who'd want it, for any money, even if Herb did it??? Ruben's rant is dead on. Caveat emptor. $1 for the paper it's on and $4,999.00 stupidity premium is what is being paid here. And yes, shame on ComicLink for accepting the consignment (unless there's some really good backup that wasn't made public.)

Agree with everything you said. When I saw that one with such a strong bid I was surprised.

It looks like a bad lightbox or projector job.

Thoughts on this auction were simple...wow. Had hands down the best CL or HA auction experience of all time....as a seller lol. 22 lots sold all for good prices (except for one i lost on, oh well). I put in 5 strong bids a few TOS 39s and a few covers...was overbid by 10-15 percent each time. Clearly im to cheap to win nice items in auctions. Oh well. have 28 lots in the auction starting today, hoping to keep the trend up.

And don't forget about Romita Jr. first run X-men artwork. Blown out of the water in my own playground. Super strong numbers. I guess it's finally getting it's due respect.

And don't forget about Romita Jr. first run X-men artwork. Blown out of the water in my own playground. Super strong numbers. I guess it's finally getting it's due respect.

Those were very strong prices, but I don't think it was because of JRJR getting his due respect. UXM #191 guest-starred the Avengers, and we all know that almost anything Avengers-related from the late Silver to Copper Age has been the hottest part of the market for a while. I'm guessing this was a very issue-specific phenomenon, with indiscriminate Avengers buyers bidding up the pages.

The #193 page went strong too, but that's the first Starfire in comics and that is surely the reason why it fetched what it did. Meanwhile, the UXM #178 and 179 pages from the last CLink auction sold for $701 and $802, respectively, which I suspect is closer to where the real JRJR UXM market actually is. 2c

I sold the Romita ASM #69 page and had very mixed emotions. When I dropped it off to Doug at C2E2 I walked the floor debating whether to pick up the piece and back out, but obviously didn’t go that route.

I kind of have a “Collectors Policy Statement” where I want one representative piece for each of my favorite ASM villains, and I was lucky enough to score a great Cockrum/Romita Kingpin cover from Thomas Fish while firing out offers after a few beers one night :) That meant letting the 69 page go, but the owner will be very happy; it’s a killer page.

I thought it went for a very strong price. I’ve often wondered about the data for the “A-level Panel Page Valuations” thread with Romita ASM small-art going for 10-20K (which was true when Mike put the list together a couple years ago) and large art 30-40k (which was always off-base by a mile). Spider-man is arguably the most popular super-hero around, and Romita really popularized his look, so it will be interesting to see if the recent ASM strong sales (another 69 page went for 29K last Comiclink auction) continue. And I’ve never, ever had Romita ASM large-art pages shopped to me for even close to 30-40K. If someone knows where they are please let me know… ;)

Congrats to the winner!