• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Files returns

357 posts in this topic

I don't see how people can not love this. I'm not being glib or anything. But it's just been fun so far for me. It's not nearly as serious as the original series, but there's also a sense of world-weariness to the characters that comes across in the stories too. Like everyone involved kinda feeling like "I'm a little too old for this. I was super serious about this 20 years ago but I've been thru all of this & know when it's time to be serious & when it's time to have fun this time around"

You know what? I think this is spot on.

However, while I enjoyed the third episode and laughed at it quite a bit, it seemed more than a little on the odd side.

I’m enjoying it as much as the first run. I find the complaints puzzling because it seems the same to me. (shrug)

It's not quite the same. However, I attribute that more to me than I do the show. I'm enjoying it and will continue to watch but other than the first episode, it feels like it's somehow, I don't know, missing something. Maybe it simply comes down to too much time has passed since the original show.

Great episode :applause:

Yeah! It had Darrin Morgan written all over it! lol(thumbs u

Man I must be getting further and further out of touch, but as a fan who saw every single Original X-Files, I thought episode 3 sucked the big one IMHO. I thought virtually every aspect of it sucked, the ultra cheesy monster costume, the laughable plot and acting, the overall silliness,etc...

I was embarrassed to have been watching it and if the remaining three episodes follow suit will be glad it will be done in 6 episodes. :sumo:

I agree that episode three was weak.

However, while I enjoyed the third episode and laughed at it quite a bit, it seemed more than a little on the odd side.

You laughed quite a bit? That's the problem. The original series was not a comedy! It was a genuinely creepy show—downright frightening at times, in fact. You turned the lights out to watch it, and then you slept with the lights on afterwards.

I always preferred the monster-of-the-week episodes to the conspiracy episodes, but the stand-alone episodes were much darker back in the day. This one felt like a parody, not a legit X-Files episode.

I did enjoy the first two recent episodes (although I wouldn't rate either all that highly compared to the classic episodes), so I hope the remaining three episode are a lot more like those two.

You laughed quite a bit? That's the problem. The original series was not a comedy! It was a genuinely creepy show—downright frightening at times, in fact. You turned the lights out to watch it, and then you slept with the lights on afterwards.

I always preferred the monster-of-the-week episodes to the conspiracy episodes, but the stand-alone episodes were much darker back in the day. This one felt like a parody, not a legit X-Files episode.

I did enjoy the first two recent episodes (although I wouldn't rate either all that highly compared to the classic episodes), so I hope the remaining three episode are a lot more like those two.

I, too enjoyed the anthology episodes over the conspiracy arc episodes. BUT - and I am stunned to read laughing is "the problem"?

Three episodes almost always included in a list of the best X-Files episodes are:

HUMBUG

CLYDE BRUCKMAN'S FINAL REPOSE

JOSE CHUNG'S FROM OUTER SPACE

All three were written by Darrin Morgan and all three had great humor and all three are fan favorites. When I learned Morgan was the writer for S10E3 I was psyched, and my psychc-ed-ness was well deserved. It was a classic Morgan episode.

Laughter is a problem INDEED! rantrant

I, too enjoyed the anthology episodes over the conspiracy arc episodes. BUT - and I am stunned to read laughing is "the problem"?

Three episodes almost always included in a list of the best X-Files episodes are:

HUMBUG

CLYDE BRUCKMAN'S FINAL REPOSE

JOSE CHUNG'S FROM OUTER SPACE

All three were written by Darrin Morgan and all three had great humor and all three are fan favorites. When I learned Morgan was the writer for S10E3 I was psyched, and my psychc-ed-ness was well deserved. It was a classic Morgan episode.

Laughter is a problem INDEED! rantrant

The best X-FIles episode is "Tithonus" where a photographer somehow manages to show up at the moment of people's death to take photographs of it happening. Killer story. :cloud9:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tithonus_(The_X-Files)

The best X-FIles episode is "Tithonus" where a photographer somehow manages to show up at the moment of people's death to take photographs of it happening. Killer story. :cloud9:

Scully makes a reference to this in Episode 3....

"Don't you remember Mulder? I'm immortal!"

I didn't realize Vince Gilligan wrote that episode until just now. :headbang:

I was thrilled when she mentioned this. I was beginning to think they would never revisit that.

With two episodes left... I would hate for them to have done a season 10 just to create more unanswered questions.

It is one thing to resolve some questions and introduce new ones.

It is another thing to keep things the status quo.

It is even worse to just add to the questions.

I want to see a season 11... Howzbout another ten episodes this fall?

No matter what Anderson thinks she 'wants' to do...if they wave enough green at her I can't imagine her not agreeing to more eps. Maybe she's just playing coy. 20 million viewers for a show that hasn't been on for over a decade is crazy.

Edited by krighton